Favorite Headphones

aargh, now you are making me second guess my decision to go with the DT1990’s! But thanks for your opinion. I had read some conflicting reviews on the internet about the neumanns so went with the beyerdynamics. oh well

I am quite happy with the DT1990’s though.

My personal experience with Neumann is that everything I’ve heard of theirs was solid and engineered well, and am happy with my choice based on that, and the fact that they match my monitors well.
I’m sure the DT1990’s are great as well, Beyerdynamic make great cans, and at this level, I’m sure both can give great results

1 Like

Might be. and anyways, isn’t the most important thing that you become familiar with whatever system you are using? A headphone you have listened to the most and all that… I am quite happy with headphones in this caliber. And I have a lake people GP-109 headphone amp to use cans with, they will make any headphones perform at their best.

1 Like

I agree. Getting to know your tools is def the most important part. A friend of mine consistently gets great mixes from some old MISSION speakers (not monitors) in a really bad sounding room and Sen cans he’s been using for at least 20 years, as he knows them so well !

+1 on these, they are fantastic. Sounds a bit like the sennheiser HD650’s but they are easier to drive. I’m actually thinking of getting the closed back ones for tracking sometime soon

1 Like

I actually got them to send me their measurement files. I’ll see if I can find them

Agreed. I went through multiple pairs!

1 Like

I agree that is incredibly important, but I’ve previously hit walls with monitoring set ups that I know inside out, and thus know they can’t reproduce the details I want them to. That’s usually how I know it’s time to upgrade.

My experience is limited but I’ve just started using Sennheiser HD 280 Pro cans. They seem ideal.

Here’s a REW file

S4 average response.mdat (2.9 MB)

Check it out, I managed to keep mine alive with epoxy, aluminium strips, zip ties and lots of electrical tape. The headband is completely shot, as are the ear pads. They’re still running though! Had this pair for about 3 years now, maybe 4.

2 Likes

Interesting, how was the frequency curve measured?

I tried them on and I was missing the heights, they are pushing the mids a bit too much in my opinion. also the foam cushions need some time to heat up and fit, so its not well suited for a situation where you just put the cans on and off for a minute. in that price range I would prefer some dt1770, 1990 or the hd 660.

I feel your pain, I had the exact same problem along with other issues. My attempt to fix them was futile, even after the fix I felt the balance was misplaced. I also had issues with the inner ear padding which made them unusable. It’s a shame as I think they responded well but the build quality failed on so many levels starting with their stupid jack lead connection

Yeah I have to say the sound hasn’t been quite the same since the ear pads came off. It’s not bad, but it’s lost a little of the low end and the highs are slightly harsher. They’re still better than the Shure SRH840 or ATH M50, and that level of headphones, but they’re not what they were. My go-to headphones for mixing now are the 1540s and the Ollos.

The FSPs are built like total shit. This was my second pair, and second headband to break within a year. I’ve also learned that the reason they sound so good is all about a combination of their isolation and very precise tuning of the ear cups and pads. You lose a bit of foam, or you get a hole in the edge of an ear pad, and the whole sound falls apart.

1 Like

My Spirit Pros are still going strong after 3-4 years

image image

must have gotten a lucky pair, nothing broken yet

1 Like

Hi. These plots are from innerfidelity.com. They measure so many headphones so it’s a nice resource. Their measurement techniques etc are described at the following link:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/resources

2 Likes

they are making some kind of rocket science out of it. Im wondering how they came up with their correction curves for headphones. the results look different than the curves from sonarworks, headphone.de or our own, so you can only compare two curves from one publication and not mix them. they are helpful if you compare two models and set them in relation.

Yeah you’re not wrong, the plastic parts are fragile, but the sound is sooooo good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shure srh 440. I like how they’re comparable to the sound of my monitors, so if i hear the same thing on them and my speakers, then it is ok. They are not comfy and the plastic is cranky too, but i love them and know them well. They sound great to my ears, clean and detailed.
I can’t wait to hear new releases of my favourite artists on them, it is like seeing inside music, they are special. But after 20min its over, you have to stop and take them of the head :rofl: but its worth it