F this box! PU Machines, Trigs, Neighbor, LFO's! ARHHH!

NO

May we listen some tracks somewhere ?

hey man yeah i make mostly death industrial/ dark ambient/ noise/ doom stuff with my wife under the name teeth engraved with the names of the dead you can check some stuff out here:

our new album is also stream-able via the labelā€™s bandcamp here:

On the stuff thats up online so far i used a lot of the OTā€™s pick up machines to blur my voice into eerie drones.

some of our newer tracks for an upcoming split with Crown of Bone are a little more rhythmic too and use the OT flex machines [and machinedrum UW] to loop scrap metal/ oil drum banging into really slow, heavy mechanical rhythms but those tracks wonā€™t be available until most likely some time around halloween.

Thanks for sharing. Great music. I like it a lot. I wish i had still my radio show to broadcast your tracks.

Here is what i do :

ā€¦ and some more.

we are not constructivistsā€¦ we are musicians!

Part of the problem is that the OT was once advertised as being a next level looper, although now that is not mentioned on the Elektron site, pick-up machines are not even mentioned in the machines type page of the OTā€¦
I like the OT enough as it is, I have 2 of them and I enjoy it for what it is and how I use it, but as a looper I agree there are much better machines out there, it is a shame though as it really could be the ultimate looper if the pickup machines were properly implemented, problem is I think by operating in a totally different way to the other machine types they are kind of painted into a corner of WTF, a possible way around this would be to add a few other record methods for flex machines, such as auto threshold recording and continuous overdub in place.
Personally I am not too worried, but I think some of the OP points are valid, especially regarding the inconsistencies.

1 Like

And this also is a good philosophy for life itself. It will make you a better person altogether.
[/quote]
Sorry to interfere on this ā€œphilosophicalā€ topic but I canā€™t overlook this huge pile of BS. Itā€™s a call for stagnation and conformism. Being discontented is what drives us to better the world and ourselves and what makes us innovate as a species. Do you seriously think Elektron itself would have thought that way, when they started out creating new concepts for machines?

Or is this some elitist agenda, Elektron themselves owning the sole right to think and discuss the workings of their machines, while the consumer class should dwell in silent devotion?

Meh.

And this also is a good philosophy for life itself. It will make you a better person altogether.
[/quote]
Sorry to interfere on this ā€œphilosophicalā€ topic but I canā€™t overlook this huge pile of BS. Itā€™s a call for stagnation and conformism. Being discontented is what drives us to better the world and ourselves and what makes us innovate as a species. Do you seriously think Elektron itself would have thought that way, when they started out creating new concepts for machines?

Or is this some elitist agenda, Elektron themselves owning the sole right to think and discuss the workings of their machines, while the consumer class should dwell in silent devotion?

Meh.[/quote]
^
+100%
I get really sick of the people that more than border on fanboyism and make endless excuses for Elektron, calling them almost always, ā€œlimitationsā€“just deal with itā€ā€¦just like the very recent A4 O.S. update that totally screwed the delay FX and BPM.
We pay good $$ for instruments that should work as advertised, not by a company scrubbing said feature descriptions on their site such as with the OT.
Itā€™s inconsistent. If it WERE consistent, then in the A4/AK product description they would scrap the description of FULL MIDI SPECS. More people have ended-up selling the A4 on after learning it really does NOT have FULL MIDI SPECS, which in the real world would indeed mean midi out.

[/quote]

Meh.[/quote]
^
+100%
I get really sick of the people that more than border on fanboyism and make endless excuses for Elektron, calling them almost always, ā€œlimitationsā€“just deal with itā€ā€¦just like the very recent A4 O.S. update that totally screwed the delay FX and BPM.
We pay good $$ for instruments that should work as advertised, not by a company scrubbing said feature descriptions on their site such as with the OT.
Itā€™s inconsistent. If it WERE consistent, then in the A4/AK product description they would scrap the description of FULL MIDI SPECS. More people have ended-up selling the A4 on after learning it really does NOT have FULL MIDI SPECS, which in the real world would indeed mean midi out.[/quote]
Wowā€¦ together thatā€™s quite a statement guys!

I am definitely in agreement that we should push forward, and not be complacent, but also understand that the real world does have limitations based on current knowledge, skills and experience, and yes, sometimes things go wrong. As a software developer I hold the adage that there is no such thing as a secure system very close to heart, and think exactly the same principle holds true in a more general sense. I am always very impressed when systems work as they should, and this sense of amazement increases with the complexity of the machine; all of the Elektron machines are extraordinary achievements in this regard.

Iā€™m no fanboy, if something better comes along I will always be interested. So, when I read your very high standards and the surety of your convictions, it makes me excited and think oh my god, here are some people who can do even better, this should be great, so, I have to askā€¦ When is your synth/sampler/drum machine coming out? What is it, how will it work? etcā€¦ Because quite seriously, I want one!!![/quote]
Thatā€™s not the argument he was making. He never claimed to be a builder of music hardware.

I too have been writing software for 25+ years. Everything from assembly code that reads your credit card on those touch-screen terminals in bars and restaurants, to large client server systems that have to run 24/7 for the US Security & Exchange commission, to other more esoteric programs and installations.

I understand and acknowledge bugs. No problems there - weā€™re all human in that regard. I do not understand deliberate feature omissions or crippled/incomplete implementations.

So, we can continue to applaud Elektron for their forward-thinking and creative hw/sw and we can continue to hold them to task for things they donā€™t do well or correctly or completely. That includes taking the time to correctly code changes and thoroughly test them before release.

1 Like

[/quote]

Meh.[/quote]
^
+100%
Itā€™s inconsistent. If it WERE consistent, then in the A4/AK product description they would scrap the description of FULL MIDI SPECS. More people have ended-up selling the A4 on after learning it really does NOT have FULL MIDI SPECS, which in the real world would indeed mean midi out.[/quote]
The A4 specifications page on elektron.se says ā€œFull midi supportā€ under the ā€œSynth voice fearures (x4)ā€ section. And afaik the synth voices both respond and send MIDI data as expected.
The ā€œSequencerā€ section does not even mention MIDI.
What exactly regarding MIDI on the A4 /AK are you claiming is marketed incorrectly? And where?

As a software developer, you should be embarrassed and considering a career change if you constanly ship gear with crippling bugs and remove core / advertised functionality.

Not being facetious, but Iā€™d think the above should ring true, no?

In my world, if I shipped with bugs, dropping data, corrupting data, I get sued.

Really? Other people are professionals in their chosen (or not so chosen) careers.You think I tell my clients to go build their own systems if mine donā€™t work like they expect?

Ha, again I pretty much find myself counter siging OldGearGuy, sans the 25+ years experience as a developer.

Iā€™m interesred in doing so, but the day job pays a lot better. Maybe in my next life.

[/quote]
Hereā€™s another good philosphy, ā€œFix the products you sell, instead of having multiple products in betaā€¦ā€ it will make you a better person altogether.

1 Like

[/quote]
Hereā€™s another good philosphy, ā€œFix the products you sell, instead of having multiple products in betaā€¦ā€ it will make you a better person altogether.[/quote]
:+1:

[/quote]
Hereā€™s another good philosphy, ā€œFix the products you sell, instead of having multiple products in betaā€¦ā€ it will make you a better person altogether.[/quote]
Rusty, your skills are gorgeous.
I like it.

All the best,

waldemaR

[/quote]
HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

I love my OT when Iā€™m not trying to smash it with a hammer! Itā€™s the center of my setup and perhaps thatā€™s why it pisses me off to no end sometimes!
I would like to have things work a bit more consistently and I would like to know that Elektron hears our concerns and takes them seriously.
They donā€™t need to make promises of planned features or stuff like that but it would be cool if they would let us know that there are planned updates and that this not-quite-finished piece of kit has not been totally abandoned.
Gonna go after this thing again today. Try out some suggestions.
Iā€™ve been experimenting with making loopy layered things. I want to be able to have syncā€™d LFOs controlling stuff. Primarily volume. Itā€™s so frustrating that this canā€™t be done without running everything out of the OT into a rack of gear and then back in.
Thanks for the tips. Thanks Elektron for never chiming in on anything unless itā€™s to sell me a shit sample pack for Analog RYTM that wouldnā€™t be necessary if you just opened up the machines a bit more . . . . but thatā€™s a different issue for another forum.

[/quote]
HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

I love my OT when Iā€™m not trying to smash it with a hammer! Itā€™s the center of my setup and perhaps thatā€™s why it pisses me off to no end sometimes!
I would like to have things work a bit more consistently and I would like to know that Elektron hears our concerns and takes them seriously.
They donā€™t need to make promises of planned features or stuff like that but it would be cool if they would let us know that there are planned updates and that this not-quite-finished piece of kit has not been totally abandoned.
Gonna go after this thing again today. Try out some suggestions.
Iā€™ve been experimenting with making loopy layered things. I want to be able to have syncā€™d LFOs controlling stuff. Primarily volume. Itā€™s so frustrating that this canā€™t be done without running everything out of the OT into a rack of gear and then back in.
Thanks for the tips. Thanks Elektron for never chiming in on anything unless itā€™s to sell me a shit sample pack for Analog RYTM that wouldnā€™t be necessary if you just opened up the machines a bit more . . . . but thatā€™s a different issue for another forum.
[/quote]
For volume control, it might be easier to use an external sequencer of some type to send MIDI CC 7 messages to the individual tracks.

Kludge or brilliant idea? with the OT theyā€™re often one and the same.

(owner of multiple OTs so I can get around some limitations of trying to do everything with 1 box. 1 seems like too few, 4 is probably too many. Iā€™ll let you know if 2 or 3 is the magic number. :astonished: )

@newgreyarea

Been jamming your example for an hour or so now and I get zero issues with syncing the LFOS. I run 4 separate tracks, setting the trigging to TRIG and Iā€™m getting no drift whatsoever. Since the tracks are trigless I presume they trigger on sequencer start.

Maybe Iā€™m just failing to reproduce the setup/issue you have, but over here itā€™s swooshing and swelling in unison very peacefully.

I do get intermittent clicking despite 0.25 fades, which pisses me off a bit. Will explore that a bit furtherā€¦

Really sorry to hear people are upset with Elektron.

Personally, I can't think of one electronic machine that 'does it all'

But this device? It's so nice- I bought it twice.

I LOVE MY OCTATRACKS!!! :slight_smile:
1 Like

soā€¦ out of the 4 irks listed in the thread title, how many are left? just pickup machines? ok delete them. i hate pickup machines now even though i never even tried to use themā€¦ LFOs are bastards, TRIGS are pricks and we all know what bleeding neighbors are like :wink:

Can anyone tell me how long I would need to bake Rainbow Trout for. Thinking of complimenting it with nice a white wine sauce, but am open to suggestions.

My thanks in advance