Externel device bank, sub bank, program message

Hello, I’ve just got the Digitakt. I would like to use with my old Roland XV-5050. It’s a multi timbral digital synth. I dedicate 6 of the digitakt midi track to the XV-5050 but now i am in trouble with assign the preset i want. Because i am daw user, never tried something similar before. I could do this by telling Cubase or Sonar where is the patch list is, then i can see all the banks and presets.
According to XV-5050 manual, the preset name is “Triumph Brs” and it’s in the “Preset D bank” “No#62” I thought to get this from digitakt, choose bank number 4 (i take it A for 1, B for 2, C for 3 and so on) then program 62 no success. I try alteration with the numbers no good. Am i missing something?
Thank you

“Triumph Brs” is a patch in Bank D of the XV-5050’s Patch Banks, not in Bank D of its Rhythm Sets (shown in the Table from the manual that you posted).

The Bank Select and Program numbers for each Bank and Patch are listed in the manual. The values that you need for the “Triumph Brs” patch are Bank Select MSB = 87, Bank Select LSB = 67, Program = 62.
Edit: The two values for Bank Select must be increased by 1 because Roland and Elektron count differently.
Therefore the values you need to enter in the Digitakt’s SRC page for your MIDI sequencer track are BANK = 87, SBNK = 67, BANK = 88, SNK = 68, PROG = 62.

Make sure that you have the latest Digitakt OS installed because there were bugs in the Bank Select function in older OS versions.

Try this and let us know whether it works.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer
I use this synth more than 15 years without touching a knob. I need further experiment. I get the sound but now i lost multi timbral functionality. Before i post my question i already tried series for alteration, like you said
Bank 87, Sub bank 67, Program 62 replace with each other and hundreds of different ones.

Cubase patch list read like this [p2,53,87,0] 054 SBR Triumph Brs
Sonar Instrument definition 61=62:Triumph Brs

For multi-timbral functionality on the XV-5050 you need to use a Performance. Each Part (timbre) in the Performance can have its own MIDI channel number. See pages 30 and 31 of the XV-5050 manual.

If you use the XV-5050’s Performance Control channel setting, you can also use Bank Select and Program Change messages to load a Performance. See page 31 of the XV-5050 manual.

What a hit. I was reading page 30 at this moment. Thank you Peter

Yes, back to here. Anyone can point out how can i use my module?

Thanks

Let’s assume that you want to use your XV-5050 as a multitimbral synth module, sequenced by your Digitakt:

The eight MIDI sequencer tracks of the Digitakt can sequence 8 different Parts on the XV-5050. You need to have your XV-5050 in Performance mode for multitimbral operation.

You should ensure that each of the 8 Parts in the Performance is receiving MIDI and is set to a different MIDI channel number (see pages 25 to 27 of the XV-5050 manual). You should set the MIDI Channel numbers on the 8 MIDI sequencer tracks on the Digitakt to match the MIDI channel numbers of the XV-5050 Performance’s Parts.

(Optionally, you could set the MIDI Channel number of one of the Digitakt’s MIDI sequencer tracks to match the Performance Control channel setting on the XV-5050.)

If you want to use to Digitakt to automatically set which Program is used in any of the XV-5050’s Parts, set the values of BANK, SBNK, and PROG in the Digitakt’s MIDI sequencer track to the required value of “Bank Select MSB”, “Bank Select LSB”, and “Program Number” from the table you posted above. Edit: except the two values for Bank Select must be increased by 1 because Roland and Elektron count differently.

For example, to select the “Triumph Brs” patch you need Bank Select MSB = 87, Bank Select LSB = 67, and Program = 62. Therefore the values you need to enter in the Digitakt’s SRC page for your MIDI sequencer track are BANK = 87, SBNK = 67 BANK = 88, SBNK = 68, PROG = 62.

(Optionally, if you want to use to Digitakt to automatically set which Performance on the XV-5050, set the values of BANK, SBNK, and PROG in the Digitakt’s MIDI sequencer track to the required value of “Bank Select MSB”, “Bank Select LSB”, and “Program Number” from the table you posted above. Edit: add 1 to the two values for Bank Select. For example, to select the User Performance 55 you need Bank Select MSB = 85, Bank Select LSB = 0, and Program = 55. Therefore the values you need to enter in the Digitakt’s SRC page for your MIDI sequencer track are BANK = 85, SBNK = 0, BANK = 86, SBNK = 1, PROG = 55.)

You can use the 8 MIDI sequencer tracks of the Digitakt to send MIDI Note messages and MIDI Control change messages to the XV-5050 to play 8 sounds at one time.

If you have any questions about any of these steps, just let us know. If you are still struggling, perhaps you could give a specific example of what you want to do and we will try to help you out.

Hey thank you for taking time for us.
For the Triump Brs patch i tried BANK = 87, SBNK = 67, PROG = 62 many times. Now again, when i set these i get piano sound. Of course, i pres “play” button in case DT needs to send messages.
My Midi RX channels are 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6 (7-8 for other gears) anyway i still can not change banks and find the patch i want.
Yesterday Bank was [X] today i set it like you said, still no luck. And your second suggestion says
BANK = 85, SBNK = 0, PROG = 55. I don’t see SBNK zero value. Is this the problem? Lowest is 1

Thanks again

1 Like

By the way in the manual page 30 it says

1. Send a Bank Select MSB (Control Number 0) value of “87” to the XV5050.
  2. Next, send a Bank Select LSB (Control Number 32) value of “65.”
  3. Send a Program Change with a value of “18.”

I wonder is Digitakt sending those control messages correctly?
MSB (Control Number 0)
LSB (Control Number 32)

I remember with my midi controller i get these patches

It probably is. If the Roland and Elektron units numbers for Banks start differently (1 on Elektron = 0 on Roland), then increase the Elektron values by 1.

For example, to select the “Triumph Brs” patch you need Bank Select MSB = 87, Bank Select LSB = 67, and Program = 62. Therefore the values you need to enter in the Digitakt’s SRC page for your MIDI sequencer track are likely to be BANK = 88, SBNK = 68, PROG = 62.

1 Like

If your Digitakt is on the latest firmware version (1.11) then it will send the messages correctly. We just need to determine the correct values.

1 Like

For your information i get the Triump Brs when i set bank 88, Sbnk 68, Prog 62
Thank you so much. Let’s hope other channels will be ok. Knock the wood

Happy

1 Like

hi it’s my first time on This forum excuse my English
i have the same problem than you on my roland juno-d
you can use a soft like that

to see what your digi is actually doing
maybe it will be usefull for understand midi protocole
:smiley: