External input to effect sends possible?

Audio In is used for sampling only.

Ext In goes to compressor and from there to Main Out, so that is where you want to plug external synth into.

2 Likes

Can use it as two extra mono ins as well. Doesn’t do stereo monitoring without using overbridge, but it works. I think it runs a bit hotter than the Ext In as well which is handy

2 Likes

I noticed when I send external audio through Analog RYTM, it is only routed to Main output in Overbridge. But I also see there is an extra pair of output channels in Overbridge that is labeled Input (19/20). Nothing however comes through this pair. Is it possible to route external input through these via Overbridge? Trying to run Perkons output through RYTM into my daw, rather through my interface, but would love to have it come through a different channel rather than Main. One workaround is to not route other tracks through Main, but it’s mixed with FX

1 Like

Can I route audio to Rytm’s tracks through my class compliant Tascam DR05’s inputs?
According to the manual, theoretically, I can’t see why not. (But I also can’t see why doesn’t elektron allow us to use external input directly through)

I first need to get a ‘USB Type A Female to USB Type B Male Adapter’ to test it though.

Has anybody successfully used a Class Compliant USB Device in order to send Audio to Rytm’s Effects? (With no computer/Overbridge)
If yes, which one?
Thanks!!

You need a USB Host device. A computer/tablet/phone would normally fulfill this role.

Although this video focuses on USB midi, the same principle applies: the Rytm cannot act as USB Host, only as the ‘client’.

Some of the TE devices (OP-1F, TX-6) has USB Host functionality built in that should work for this.

Not many devices (even if they are USB class compliant) can act as a USB Host, unfortunately - especially when it comes to audio.

Here is someone asking the same question, but also didn’t get a satisfactory answer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/s/ljNjm9VOPe

Raspberry Pi is an option, but that is not a buy-it-and-use it solution, you’ll have to do some software installation and configuration.

The OP-Z also has USB Host functionality built-in, so will be cheaper solution than OP-1F or TX-6. I think it will require the additional line module:

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z/modules/line

But that will still be a cheaper option.

Just be aware that the Teenage Engineering devices only support one specific sample rate, so the device you connect over USB must support that same sample rate. I remember people struggling to connect some Elektron devices to TE devices, but I’m not sure if that applies to RYTM as well, will have to look in both devices manual and I’m too tired now. :grin:

It is so great that TE decided to implement host mode on their devices, they seem to be about the only company doing it, but then they decided to only support one specific sample rate which is unfortunate.

Honestly, if you have a iPhone/iPad, it is going to be the easiest solution.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was pretty sure I was missing something crucial, plugging a cheap Tascam felt too good to be true.