External input to effect sends possible?

Hi guys I am following this with interest but I am a relative noob with elektrons so please excuse the dumb question. I have a song in Ableton that I would like to pass through the AR compressor and possibly the AK effects. For the AR, how do I do this? Do I need to route audio outs from my RME Fireface UCX into the (single?) audio in on the Rytm, or can it be done via USB? or does it make more sense to route to a track in the AK and then route that single track to the AR? I guess it’s just the single ‘left/right’ input on the AR which is confusing me. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Damn, this is a huge bummer. I really like the reverb on the RYTM when I checked it out at the Messe and was looking forward to routing my OT through it. I just assumed the external inputs where meant to be used with the fx as it is possible with all Elektron gear. :disappointed:

1 Like

For the AR, how do I do this? Do I need to route audio outs from my RME Fireface UCX into the (single?) audio in on the Rytm,? - Yes, Insert Patch Y cable 1/4 inch pair to TRS (2 one ring leads merged to one 2 ring lead)

or can it be done via USB? - Not yet, read about OverBridge coming out some time this year

got it! Thanks :slight_smile:

OK so I’ve just been out and got the cable, and plugged it in. So What now? I’ve read the manual but so far I have no sound. I have 2 outs from my Fireface UCX going in to my Rytm (Y shaped wire) and the two main outs of the Rytm back to the Fireface. I have selected the FX track on the Rytm. I have hit play on Ableton, but there is no output from the Rytm. Can I use the Rytm as a compressor like this or not? Thanks again guys :slight_smile:

Hi
I hope you solved your issue
I’ve achieved what you are trying to do but with a uad apollo and logic, I’m sure it’s possible with the rme but I don’t know ableton .

I believe this is most probably why, I love the AR very much and though the limitations of the box make me sad they’re also a nice challenge!

I recommend anyone who doesn’t own a Rytm and isn’t sold on it as a sampler/FX box check out Gotharman’s Little Deformer 2.

1 Like

OT or one of the older discontinued boxes cater for fx needs. You just need to use ext fx, cannot be avoided.

It might not even be a bean-counting issue that prevents the input from being more flexible. undoubtedly many engineering choices had to be made with the AR, and still the result was not ideal, somewhat of a compromise (like not being able to use the full USB bandwidth for overbridge because of RF problems wrt to the analog circuits etc). I’m not qualified to assess the engineering aspects of the AR myself.

pretty new to the machine and was just wondering before i hit the sack if you can use the rytms effects section(the reverb and delay) on external synths? using the inputs on the rytm

thankyou johnathan

No. AFAIK only the Octatrack can be used as a “mixer” with the fx running on external audio. A4 / AK is theoretically able to do that but due to the missing preamp you have to fire a lot of gain into the machine.

Not sure if I misunderstand you, but just wanted to make clear that I’m using the AK as a stereo FX in my studio - 2 mono aux out and return to my Midas analogue console. Works a treat and sounds fantastic when routing chorus/delay into reverb and subtly modulatating the settings via LFO :).

Great! But the midas console gives you the chance to level your signals before sending them in the AK. If I hook up my modular system to the AK on one channel and the AR on the other channel I get one completely distorted signal and the other one is too quiet.

1 Like

Ah ok! Well then, I’d advise everyone to have some sort of mixer in between :).

1 Like

Does signal from EXT In affected by master FX section of analog Rhythm MKII?

No, it’s identical to Mk1, just the analog/compressor, nothing digital

1 Like

It’s surprising this is the case since you can route the USB input through one of the voices.
I guess feature request - route ext input through the internal voices :slight_smile:
Would be super handy to be able to control an ext synth via midi then route it through the voice that is triggering it! (without having to use OB)

It was stated earlier in this thread that the Ext In circuit bypasses all of the voices and FX and goes straight to compressor circuit, so this is not physically possible.

shame. Would be cool if the Audio In at least could do this then (as you can do that with OB)

Ok but is it possible just to HEAR the input when playing the Rytm ? I just want to use the inputs as a ‘mixer’ , no need to apply FX. When i plug an external synth on the Rytm’s audio in, i can hear nothing.

Set ‘monitor’ to on in the recorder settings

Bottom right of screen to ‘yes’ (H)MON.

2 Likes