Ext len grid-rec?

I told you! (WiliWoW).

1 Like

Yes and you create a sequence but only want to change the notes, you can switch it off and only change pitch… great they left an option for it!

2 Likes

I found extremely dumb not implementing for the internal sequencer.
The OT can record and play different gate time to external devices but it doesn’t internally???
But the most frustrating thing is that you can actually play and hear the different gate time on an audio track but you can’t record in the sequencer.
The OT does also receive Not Off message but it doesn’t send.

It’s one of the reason why I mainly use the OT as a drum machine.

Plocking the Hold/Release it’s time consuming, by the time I change 4 bar, which often are actually 8 at half speed, I sequence somewhere else. I think people abuse Plocking too much and make it boring, writing precise value every step is slow and frustrating, at that point a DAW is much more fun. Plock it’s fast and fun if it’s used sparsely. In fact look how the sequencer behave, blinking lights=something plocked, which is a really generic way of showing you something. They could use a different colour/blinking for different function but they didn’t cuz I believe that’s how they see Plock, something fun to use every now and then and they give us a blinking light to understand where it is.

It’s just insane that I can record gate time from the OT to externally devices but then I have to use it an external device to the the same on the OT.
If you can’t do on your own don’t do for others.
A versatile machine like the OT shouldn’t have such a rigid live recording setup.
It’s called Dynamic Performance Sampler, that’s not dynamic at all.

1 Like

Hmm…I don’t think Elektron sees p-locks like that…
The colours are already used to distinguish between trig types.

Red=Sample trigs/Midi trigs
Green=Trigless trigs
Half bright green=Trigless locks
Yellow=One shot trigs

So you’d rather not have the function at all?

*Edit, I’d actually prefer if p-locks would give the same indication as scene locks do (green leds on parameter pages that contain locks).

1 Like

There’s blinking option and white colour.
They could use half light for every colour too but they don’t.
As you said they show you trig, trigless trig, trigless lock, recors trig. The OT doesn’t even show repeat/probability steps.
My point is if you design a product you highlight what’s for you the main functions giving it main control/feedback. Whatever extra you can add won’t have a dedicated function.
It’s a box of +$1000 if they thinked Plock was so important they could throw a simply add a blue for the led. So it’s not about saying in a budget is simple priorities.

If the function was not there it was definitely less frustrating and “look the machine can do that but we don’t give to you”
The OT inspired me as I think it did to a lot of people, there’s nothing inspiring in this so it will be better if it wasn’t there. You don’t ask gate time for a drum machine, if it does it’s an extra feature.
I’m not asking the moon either but a basic sampler option:loop/gate.

I already have to use an external sequencer to record gate time on an audio track which make me lose the Elektron sequencer, I mean I can still set Plock and stuff but it’s not self contained.
Because of that the OT plays drums and some loops,such a shame tho for a function the machine can actually do.
One thing is limitations for lack of power another is limit yourself on purpose.

Exactly my problem. I got over the fact that it’s mono. Ok. No chords but when I discovered this I was super bummed. I spent a shit ton of money on it. Glad I returned it.

If I find a MK1 second hand I’d buy it. I love the MK1 better

1 Like

They could actually add polyphony like the A4.

I agree with you in fact I own a second hand MK1 :slight_smile:

And buy a midi processor to record length!
Principle : map notes off to Hold = 0.
It stops notes recording this Hold value to a trigless.

1 Like

Yup and some let you send velocity to a different CC. The problem is you can’t have it all.

You can. I planned to modify Retrokits RK002 Polymux script to make OT polyphonic, with velocity, and note length, eventually filter envelope depth to make it even more expressive.

2 Likes

take my money!

1 Like

was reading some old elektron manuals

did there used to be a “GRID” button or is that just language that has evolved and been updated since??

Rec button activates Grid Recording mode.

1 Like

so referring to the REC button they were? -yoda lol

wait what’s the diff between a trigless trig and a trigless lock?

Trigless trigs function similarly to lock trigs, but trig LFOs and FX envelopes.

(lock trigs: formerly named trigless locks)

4 Likes

keep forgetting this all the time – also the submenu where you can set triggering of AMP envelope … guess I need to make a cheat sheet for that one day. Last real mystery for me of the OT!

Are you sure? :wink:

I still think there are ghosts in the machine, but they won’t show up each day/night … :smiley:

1 Like

It’s only Octaspiders, don’t worry. :content:

Cleaning dead insects from inside my OT :(

2 Likes

I just used MIDI loopback with the EXT LEN GRID REC to play and record note lengths from a MIDI controller.

Sample on Track 7. Set AMP RELEASE to a low number for the minimum note length.

Set MIDI track 7 to MIDI CH7.

That’s it. You can record midi notes with length, and it triggers the audio sample, also with length.

I’m not actually using a cable for loopback. It’s going in>out via an iConnect midi interface, which I guess is necessary to allow the controller and the loopback to work together.

Still, it was dead easy, and works great. Easy enough that I can see myself using it as a standard tool.

EDIT:

This isn’t working quite how I thought–experimenting further