Expressive E Osmose

Might be worth the trouble (which should be minimal) if you’re serious about MPE.

I have considered it, believe me. The seaboard and Linnstrument didn’t do it for me though.

Need to see more of Osmose but it would seem to be an improvement over time Seaboard. But, am I a grid guy these days? Perhaps Ableton 11 with a Push 3 MPE controller will arrive in time… :joy:

1 Like

@cuckoomusic about to make us go broke

2 Likes

I have pre-ordered one.
Something to look forward to at last (I live in the UK!)

10 Likes

This video is really good! Some insane musicianship on display

3 Likes

Beautiful instrument.

Thanks for sharing mate!

And thanks for the lovely words! :pray:t3: I really like this. I felt right at home, very quickly. I had the opportunity to play this prototype for a whole day, and just kept playing and playing…

12 Likes

Any downsides to this thing? Do I need to learn Pure Data?

This thing is looking groovy. I am not the most skilled keys player, but I think I could really get into a keyboard like this. Also, great vid by Cuckoo.

1 Like

I gave up on practicing piano to focus on string instruments, so I’m not a skilled keys player either.

But I’m tempted all the same and it looks and sounds like an inspirational instrument. I might just play the presets and not get into patching this thing much, if at all, beyond the usual tweaks (eg. FX wet-dry mix)

2 Likes

Yeah, the expressive playing appeals to me more as a guitar player. And I imagine it would appeal to others that play string instruments.

As a guitar player I thought the same thing. I’m wondering though if it’s the timbre of the sounds that create that impression more than the approach to playing. Definately interested in this. My children are learning piano and this certainly seems like a closer switch than a synth. I do like how you seem to be able to lean in to what your playing.

1 Like

Feels like I should take piano lessons at some point…

3 Likes

At last, demo that I can identify with - awesome!

1 Like

Same here haha, maybe the longing of the Osmose will give me more motivation. :sweat_smile:

Looks good on paper and on demos…

I’ve had a Touché in the past and…It was also great on paper and demos…

But it wasn’t so well thought.

Spend hours making a great setup for ONE patch of ONE of your synth and make a demo. Great !
Now start trying to implement that in a live situation where you have to control different ranges of different values across different synths, cry and end up selling it.

I hope it will be different now. And if it proves it is, I’ll be in !

Maybe I’m just bitter I can’t justify spending so much at this moment… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was exactly my fear with the Touché, the time consuming side of things. I still don’t know how to feel about it, as it’s quite expensive also… Did you try the presets they’ve made for mapping to the Digitone ?

No unfortunately, but my main concern was basically the fact that the touché takes entire control over the values…

Let’s say you want a patch to be at rest with a filter opened at 80 %. If the touché controls that parameter it will jump to the touché’s value immediatly and when you realease it will be at the touché’s rest position which is centered around the values you have set in the software…No way around that. A relative mode should have been condidered with all the limitations of standard midi implementation of course…
I’ve had a talk with one of their developper around this, and they completely understood my concerns. The implementation is doable but it would require a good amount of work on firmware and software side. So unlikely…
I used a bome box to make a pseudo relative mode but it was just a programming nightmare to port this on 40 patches for a 1h liveset.
I just want to make music these days…

What worries me is that they are selling tons of presets stuff for their hardware and there marketing and business model is built around that.
The Touché has a great demo where someone played djembe persussions on it, I’m pretty sure it sold many people on the device.
As expected, If you try to build such a patch with your sounds, you can say goodbye to words like immediate, intuitive,fluid, and welcome headache,frustration, and I wish I had learnt maths @school ! :slight_smile:

Enough digression and back on topic because all in all, this osmose looks rad as f**** ! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah I already asked them about a relative mode, but they just sent me to Lié setuping videos haha. Well, I can’t blame them, I think it would require a 2-way communication between the controller and the device, reading and editing each parameter realtime, which is not possible with the midi controller/controlled one way technology.

But yeah, the Osmose! Youpi ! :grin:

Anyone knows a bit about the sound engine ? I mean not a link to the description but actully used it a bit ?
Any words on multitimbrality ?
Is it fully standalone ? I suppose we can’t program anything from the device itself but how many parameters can be controlled per patch on the front panel ?
Midi processing ? At least filtering ?

Could it take the space of my G2 ?

Seems only one stereo out…

Tons of questions !! :slight_smile:

Asked directly to them on facebook. I will report answers if anyone interested !