Expressive E Osmose

New video about the Kinetic Model in the Eagan Matrix which will be also in the Osmose:

edited: youtube link seems to have changed, there is an own channel now

4 Likes

The EaganMatrix editor terrifies me every time I see it.

If they get the UI right on the Osmose, you may not ever have to use the editor software.

2 Likes

This is my dream.

The left side controls and OLED display looks beautiful, at the very least, to me.

June Update

This one focuses mainly on the EaganMatrix, the new improvements to it, and on the collaboration with Haken Audio on the Osmose. Specifically Haken has recently added a Kinetic Modelling Bank – which does synthesis based upon mechanical behavior. And they have added the Jenny Oscillator a mix of synthesis techniques including phase distortion.

They also report that they are in the process of assembling their “industrialized prototype”, so they are working through the manufacturing process and making their earlier prototypes something producible at scale. Expect a video showing the new “industrialized prototype” soon.

And here’s a new video they produced to show what’s new with sound development.

Having the development of the Osmose happening in two separate parts helps let both parts develop more fully without waiting for the other. Often the sound design team must wait for the synth to be nearly complete to begin their work. So since they can work in parallel, means the Osmose will likely have a rich and well developed sound palette when it is released.

There is a key phase coming up when the “industrialized prototype” is integrated with the new sounds and sound engine. Hopefully they can make the two parts perform as one evolved instrument. Lots of work left for Expressive E, and lots of challenges, but it sounds like they have a high likelihood of staying on schedule.

11 Likes

Wow, this thing sounds so effing organic. I’ll will have thee one day.
Seriously impressed

1 Like

Yeah this is like the best sounding instrument I’ve ever heard. Everything else is so flat in comparison. It sounds like the future

3 Likes

I agree, I often wondered when traditional keyboards would get a jolt of futuristic tech and this is really it. The roli stuff is cool but not really traditional keyboard keys, the osmose really blends traditional with future tech.
I love my Summit but dang, kinda wish I’d gotten on the preorder

And another video of Eagan Matrix programming.

Not sure if I will really dive into this. Looking forward to presets in any case.

1 Like

I agree!

Quite odd reading some comments on places like Synthtopia from people saying they think it sounds a bit crap. Some of the physical modelling might not be my cup of tea but I still think it sounds great. Someone was complaining about the quality of the FM patch too!

2 Likes

I think it sounds good but also I dont think I would be interested in programming eaganmatrix sounds. I’m more interested in the keybed than the sound engine. Hope they try to shop the keybed to various companies, would be cool to see something like a Sequential designed around the tech. I can kind of see why some people are put off by the sound, there is a bit of a modern super expressive roland D50 vibe to a lot of the patch design they are showing off, not a bad thing but I get heavy digital native dance vibes from basically every video with the osmose.

2 Likes

Probably some crossover from the MuffWiggler (itself full of crap) or Gearslutz forums. MW was a decent forum at one time - now it’s a wannabe 4chan for synth guys who can’t get into 4chan. They think we’re just a bunch of dumb Elektron fanboys. I’ll refrain from providing other reasons to avoid that forum unless you’re a serious modular head.

One guy on MW complained that EaganMatrix is too hifi/clean sounding - he wants more dirt or whatever in the sound. He hates all “acoustic”/physical modeling anyway.

The very first sound example in the video posted by Chiron sounds reasonably aggressive to me - for those who want that.

You’re probably right. I’ve been browsing forums less and less lately and usually miss the guff but keep an eye out for Osmose chat.

Anyway, after initially being worried about the sound some time ago, the last few videos have won me over. It’s still a keyboard I don’t “need” but looking forward to getting my hands on it eventually and learning how to play it. Will be my only non midi hardware when it comes! Be fun to see how I build it in to my usually rigid Push/Ableton workflow style.

1 Like

Honestly, to those who aren’t sold by the Osmose sound design videos, I’d advise the Osmose might not be for you. Unless of course you’re ready and willing to dedicate some time to learning how to patch EaganMatrix to get whatever sounds you’re looking for, that you think will be missing from the factory presets.

I don’t really anticipate firing up the EaganMatrix editor at all after I get my Osmose, unless they screw up and bury something as basic as reverb/FX wet-dry mix so deep that I’d need to use the editor to tweak it. From what Expressive E has communicated so far, it looks like the params musos are most likely to want to tweak, like filter cutoff, will be made accessible from the keyboard panel.

1 Like

A lot of similar timbres in these sound design videos thus far. I think I’d have no choice but to get to grips with the EaganMatrix for myself. It’s certainly not the most user-friendly synth engine on the market, that’s for sure.

That said, I still think Haken should put the EaganMatrix in standalone black box with a meaningful user interface and connectivity for other expressive controllers.

Cheers!

1 Like

Yes, someday start tweaking under the hood, I guess, but my whole reason to get this is for the the kind of expressivity (remember the device’s name) that I can only get from wind- and voice-modulated instruments. A few usable stock sounds will do it for me, which is a matter of personal taste I guess, but a good gamble from what I’ve seen so far. I’m confident it will be much more than that, but even if not, compare my Soma Pulsar-23: it’s been my centerpiece for months even though I’ve never considered any of its sounds particularly wonderful in isolation. A lot of its sonic range is in fact rather mediocre when considered from a static point of view, which ornery MW non-owners are happy to point out. The Pulsar is all about the dynamic way of physically interacting with it as a live performance instrument, and this Expressive E is exactly the same thing, I think, and not something you buy to use as a sound module triggered from some outside box. I anticipate it actually will also work pretty well as a sound module, which will be gravy, not a dealbreaker.

2 Likes

I recall hearing a reasonable variety of timbres, but it’s a matter of personal perspective, selective recall, etc. I heard pad sounds, plucked sounds, metallic percussion sounds, some more “acoustic” sounding physical modeled stuff, some more electronic, etc.

I haven’t heard any patches sounding like a Moog or Mellotron (stereotypical 'tron that is) but I didn’t preorder an Osmose with those sounds in mind either.

It’s reasonable to investigate what sonic variety a synth is capable of. OTOH, I have other gear, and each has its role. What role the new synth will play in my music is a more important consideration for me than whether it can outperform my other synths at their particular specialties.

2 Likes

I think of the Osmose the same way.

One of the reasons I’m fine with the sounds of the Osmose demo vids is I tried a Half Continuum, which of course also has the EaganMatrix engine, in person and really liked how the sounds responded more like acoustic instruments respond to one’s various gestures than how a synth typically responds to a MIDI keyboard. I can’t really help anyone understand what that’s like through typed words - just have to experience it in person and evaluate for yourself.

1 Like

Right, I forgot: the Osmose was only on my radar in the first place because of the Continuum. I never went for a Continuum, not just because of the price, but I just don’t see getting along with that kind of playing surface. I’ve never had my hands on any Continuum model, but I’ve tried the Roli Seaboard, and the spongy neoprene is just too limiting for me because it lacks the speed and nimble quality of a piano (unless you’re Rudess or one of those virtuosos in the demo videos). As soon as I saw the Osmose’s marriage of the traditional piano’s physicality with the Haken’s expressive potential at 1/4 the price of the original Continuum, I pre-purchased. I’m still bracing myself for disappointment and selling off on eBay after a 6-month trial, but I’m already ecstatic there will be this opportunity to give the whole EaganMatrix thing a real shot. That’s because my fallbacks for expressive, complexly modulated, real-time solos (which, as a rhythm player, I suck at anyway) are either monophonic breath controllers that drip breath condensation all over everything, or bowed strings that get rosin all over your hands when plucked, and I have no bow technique without tons of woodshedding.

I do like my Soma Pipe for the kind of voice-controlled modulating its super-sensitive mike system provides, but it’s monophonic and anything good I get out of it is only ever on the exotic side, sonically speaking. I’m hoping the Osmose can also work well as a daily player and rhythmic comper.

2 Likes