this is what i did first, and it works but feels weird. gonna try your settings!
Great, this is what I wanted to hear. And since you use it on stage, you reckon it’s reliable? I Have the idea for what I read that the overall experience with the Osmose was a bit buggy, standalone and as a midi controller. Is this your (and others) experience?
Should these settings work on the Polybrute as well?
hi @rklem. thanks again for your advice. I tested it yesterday. if I use these settings:
PRESSURE: Assign POLY AT 0 - 63
AFTERTOUCH: Assign Poly AT 64 - 127
It is indeed very sensitive, but the real aftertouch on the osmose (the last bit of the downard pressure on the keys) doesnt work because it touche response on the DDRM already maxed out before reaching it. Is that your experience too?
I also tried:
PRESSURE: Assign CN PRESS 0 - 63
AFTERTOUCH: Assign CH PRESS 64 - 127
this seems to work better, becaus then you can still use the ‘real’ aftertouch on the osmose.
Yes, I went back to my notes and noticed that I had two versions. I think I also ended up with CH PRESS. As said, it’s all a little intransparent (especially what happens wihin DD) and confusing at times, but I’m glad to hear that you found a solution that works for you. DD and Osmose are a dream team!
Good to hear that you agree that CH PRESS is better than the POLYAT with the osmose/DDRM combo. And then indeed there are many other options to finetune to taste, the sensitivity of everything for instance. the DDRM already is quite detuned, so i had to set the pitchbend sensitivity of the osmose a bit less sensitive than normal haha!
yes! also a linnstrument on order, curious how that wil perform!
Ok It has some bugs but you will gonna know when setting it in your home. I’m using it for a year live and never had a problem.
As per MPE spec, ChannelAT should be used if both your sound source and controller are in MPE mode.
PolyAT should be used when you need only one MIDI channel and when MPE mode is deactivated.
and chan press is the equivalent of channel AT in the osmose? there is no selectable channel AT option afaik
I don’t know any parameters of the DD. Intuitively, channel pressure being equivalent with channel AT sounds reasonable.
In the MIDI spec, there is a cc parameter for polyAT and another one for channel AT, so it would be sufficient to check the MIDI implementation chart of your sound source for details.
On the Hydrasynth for example, polyAT gets internally rerouted to channel AT when in MPE mode, which is practical because then you don’t need to switch any relevant mod matrix entry between MPE-Z/channelAT and polyAT.
right, but i was talking about the osmose MPE settings. which one to choose in the ‘adjust’ menu!
As I have already explained in one of my previous recent posts, Osmose’s pressure zone is set by default to send channel aftertouch (indeed named ch.pressure), while Osmose’s “aftertouch” zone is set to control MPE-Y or timbre (usually cc 74). Note the difference between Osmose’s designation of its performance controls (eg pressure, aftertouch, etc) on one hand and the MIDI messages to assign on the other. Obviously, you will want to choose MPE or multi-channel type for ch.pressure to work as expected, that is per voice, and you don’t want to use polyAT in MPE mode.
Whether or not this default marries well with your sound source’s presets depends on which messages they are set to respond to. For example, it does make sense if the aftertouch MIDI message controls amp volume and if cc74 or anything else you control via MPE-Y controls anything else than volume. Otherwise, just swap them: assign pressure to cc74/etc and aftertouch to ch.pressure.
Linnstrument + DDMK2 performs quite well. I made a video with that pairing in case that helps to give you some creative ideas. ![]()
For those that had it for a while, or have it bought second hand. How durable does your unit feel? Im specially worried about the keys, did you notice any change of feel, more wobble (slide), irregular travel both in pressure and aftertouch between keys? Any other issues.
For what I have read it seems that it has been a few issues but mainly software/firmware related, but since I am thinking about buying one second hand I want to hear about your personal experience.
Would you buy a almost year and a half old osmose without warranty or would you pay 20% more for a new one with 5 years of warranty?
Thanx in advance
It’s too early to talk about any long term longevity of the Osmose key mechanism. A lot of it is repairable according to EE.
I have never traveled with my Osmose, but I’ve read that you’ve got to be careful not to keep the keys pressed in a soft case - better to protect the keys by a hard cover in addition and they should be safe.
At home or in the studio, there were no hardware issues that I’ve noticed. The only component that may cause trouble/noise by design is the small external power supply, but you can replace that by a bigger and better one, if needed.
I been using it live for a year and I transported with a $30 bag but I made a hard protection for the keys and always move it myself. It seems solid and I play hard on the keys. No hardware problems for me.
My only complaint would be that the matte finish on the keys gets dirty kind of fast and you can’t just dust the dirt off. I have to clean my keyboard with a damp cloth wiping each individual key every couple months.
Also, I have a first batch unit and no actual issues, but my keybed is uneven at this point, there are keys that rest lower than others. Nothing extreme, I have seen worse on vintage synths that are considered to be in good condition, but this isn’t a vintage synth it’s a 3 year old keyboard. I have to emphasize it still works perfectly, it just looks kind of disheveled.
Thanx for this @fermuscolo @White_Noise. It is very respectable and it shows that EE means business, when talking hardware quality. For such a inovative instrument and with so many pieces that move, wobble, press, its amazing that there aren’t a lot of reports of issues
I’ve just noticed that my Osmose is transmitting Pressure data in a not very smooth way. When I watch the pressure curve in Ableton Live (MPE Expression Control Midi Effect in the rack), at about ⅔ of the way to the top, it starts to jump around quite a bit, even going back to the beginning of the curve. It does the same thing in Equator in both Live and Logic Pro. I’ve changed out the Midi cable and have also changed the port it’s attached to. This happens on my Mac mini (new, M4 Pro) and also happens on my MacBook Pro. It does not happen with the internal sounds, only external midi.
I’ve turned the Osmose on and off a few times and have also done a full factory reset. No change.
Running Osmose v.1.4.4
Okay, tbf your Osmose is not running the latest firmware (2.0.15), in which the external device mode has been extended. Also be sure to check out Richard Kram’s cookbook for the Osmose (see FB forum).