Explain to me in 1 sentence AUTO CHANNEL

Basically the midi channel for the currently selected track.

5 Likes

1 Like

receiving or sending device?

aah “access”

so if I set the auto channel on the Digitakt to 1 it would not matter, because only the auto channel on the say Analog four would be set to receive?

If you set the auto channel on the Digitakt to 1, then any data coming in via MIDI channel 1 will play on the currently selected Digitakt track. Auto channel doesn’t affect MIDI output from the Digitakt itself.
Usually it’s best to not set the auto channel to 1 on Elektron devices, as by default the main tracks are set to channels 1–x (where x is the amount of tracks provided by the machine, e.g. 8 on the octatrack). But that can all be changed. Just don’t set your auto channel to be the same as the channel assigned to one of the main channels.

Usually I set/keep the auto channel at 9, at least on my octatrack and monomachine (I don’t use them together).

3 Likes

Interesting! I’ve always ignored this feature on my gear, but this sounds really useful for live jamming purpose. : )

1 Like

Regardless of the currently selected Track, the Auto Channel is also used for other, more “global” things - like changing Patterns with Program Change Messages for example. Incoming PC messages are only processed if they are received on that Auto Channel.

But btw … this is all in the Manual(s) :wink: And i think they explain it quite well.

Program changes have their own channel setting too if you want to.

1 Like

I wish the auto channel feature would be a standard among multitimbral MIDI devices. Super useful.

aah, thanks : )

Auto channel doesn’t affect MIDI output from the Digitakt itself.

i did not know that !

care to elaborate? since we are already talking about it : )

1 Like

program CH in / out CHANNEL have their own midi channels … soooo … ???

I ve looked through the manual, but I have to admit I am in need of a more “user based” experience … like from my fellow nauts here on the forum : )

I always turn off individual track channels and use auto channel.
The reason is that with A4, MM and OT (today DT) alone I would already have too many destinations.

I set OT (temporarily replaced by DT) to 16, A4 to 15 and MM to 14 (I didn’t set off MM channels because in Poly mode I wouldn’t get all the notes.

My “lowest” synth get the first channels, PFM2 the 2nd, JX3 the 3rd, etc. so that I can control them from DT midi tracks.

So basically each piece is assigned one auto channel and I just change the active track when I need to switch from one track to another on a particular synth.

Note that this is plainly convenient if the keyboard offers to quickly change its own channel.
This is true for XKey, Keystep or M-Audio, and deal-breaker to me otherwise.

1 Like

I’m a bit disappointed that there’s so many using more then one sentence trying to describe auto channels… :smiley:

2 Likes

Just RTFM.

what does that mean? rtfm? fm synthesis ?

Analog Rtfm

2 Likes

Elektron COULD make RTFM a good thing! They just need to release it <3