Experimental, avant-garde and leftfield hip hop artists?

Dean Blunt forever

2 Likes

Aye Dean Blunt!
I always like hearing what Kanye comes up with, he gets pretty experimental with the production. To be fair a lot of hip hop is pretty experimental :slight_smile:
OutKast
Dilla, Madlib course
Actress
FlyLo
Frank Ocean

2 Likes
1 Like

Lapalux ventures into “hip hop” territory as well.

Very old avant-garde.

:joy: Anthrax

1 Like

I wasn’t crazy about the Anticon guys, but they did release a few gems.

1 Like

Another not new one, but still fresh

2 Likes

I think hip-hop is one of the more accepting genres of the experimental side of things. I remember a time when Tyler, the creator and odd future were considered experimental, now Tyler is mainstream no longer looked at as some crazy experiment.

1 Like

This is old but being into hip hop since 84 this has always set the bar for me

Again old but still a great

And as a poster above suggests StrangeU comes straight from leftfield

2 Likes

I was thinking it’s kind of a double edge sword.
There’s a lot of pushing boundaries, yet it seems easy to push things outside of hip hop.
Hip Hop seems like something very specific to me from generation to generation, but it creates spin offs over the ears.
For example, current Electro reflects vintage hip hop more than any current hip hop.
Yet current hip hop vaguely reflects a time when hip hop really came into a more refined genre.

Probably not what you’re after but I love this

6 Likes

Sooooo good

Yep. I mean, something like Eyedea & Abilities is hardly Hip-Hop by default. Same for some of Atmosphere’s work.

I like some left field/Indie Hip-Hop artists but a lot of times it just tries too hard to be arty and “out there”… Lots of lyrics are cringeworthy too imo…

1 Like

What Tyler music was not considered out there what was out there was him and his gang being a fresh breath of air in the current climate of hip hop.

Also antipop consortium, elp, cannibal ox.

1 Like

Some quite experimental stuff came out of that camp before they hit big both musically and lyrically. Odd time signatures, experimental sounds, voice pitching, etc. It was a breath of fresh air because it was experimental.

2 Likes

Hell yeah, love Antipop!!!

2 Likes

Old but still rad

3 Likes