Evolving melodies with Octatrack controlling Digitone

Hey everybody!

Here’s a video of an Octatrack sequencing a Digitone to create evolving mélodies. With this setup, I can control notes using the octatrack’s LFOs and quantize the result with the MIDI arpeggiator’s scale. This way, I can generate new mélodies with the twist of a knob instead of having to write the notes myself. This way of working has kind a of a modular feel.

Anyway, this combo amazes me everyday, feel free to tell me what your think!

21 Likes

Can you explain your CC mapping and how you’re staying in key a bit more in a post?

As you writed in Youtube comment, the use of a slow scale is amazing this way. You can use 1/4 midi track on 64/64 and with a master pattern of xxx or inf steps to have full potential on evolving lfos.

One great tips then is to have slow and fasters lfos… not easy to program but really modular king of workflow ( I though two) and with the LFO designer (that I invite you to use) You unlock a really new workflow and powerful note variation design skill.

The interest tho is to have a more powerful note exploration, and for this the Octatrack is really amazing (I only focussed on this on the beginning because It writed better melodies than me who wasn’t musician at all. You can then record all those long evolving sequences in the DN sequencer, using chain mode of patterns.

4 Likes

Super rad! I will definitely use this when I get the OT and DN.

1 Like

Sure!
No CC mapping is used, the Octatrack only sends MIDI notes and tempo information to the Digitone
To stay in key I use the scale parameter you can find in the second page of the arpeggiator in the octatrack, just put the scale you want to use and you’ll have nothing to worry about!

4 Likes

Thanks!

Gotcha. I’ve never actually used that before on my OT. Are you then recording the steps to the DN? I did that this weekend. Played a fast p-locked arp on the OT and set the DN pattern to 2x to record all the quick notes. It was pretty cool.

1 Like

This works with every midi-synth, not only DN. It’s mainly a OT feature :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh sure!
But the digitone with it’s 4 tracks and send effects is particularly good candidate :slight_smile:

I did not record, the octatrack keeps on playing new notes, the sequences are not identical in every repetions so I prefered to take avantage of the diversity it provides

Gotcha. Is the LFO set to NOTE on the MIDI page?

Yep. Default destination. :wink:

You bet, DN should be my next Elektron…
Really interesting, but lfo on notes with scale wouldn’t change my mind about arp I much prefer. Random mode, with octave range, lfo designer on speed, length…:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Indeed!

Of course! It can do so much!
Haha, I see what you mean, but the two are different and both interesting in their own way. It’s really cool to be able to design the “shape” of your melody

1 Like

Wow! That’s totally amazing! I’m so in love with my digitone but still new to the world of the octatrack!

It seems that nearly every day I found something new in this whole elektron world which makes me really happy.

Anyway. I need to make this setup on this week-end. Seems to me like the perfect combo (Octa & Digi)

Everything clear about it, but as mentioned no CC mapping is necessary?

I think my midi settings are also correct, why no sound?

Just tried it for about an hour on yesterday but didn’t get any sound from my digitone when pressing play on my octatrack.

Sync is okay and digitone receives start / stop commands from octa, but no sounds from the midi channels in my octatrack are coming out (trigs are insert in octa)

Could you please help me and let me know your midi settings in both machines?

Or just for the case also connecting cables (octa = midi out into digitone midi in)

Many thanks in advance for your help guys!

Greetz from rainy hamburg

There are a few steps you have to go through to do all this.
In the octatrack:
•Raise the volume of the direct input your digitone is connected to, and the gain if needed
•Check “Send” for Transport and Sync in midi configuration, your digitone will now start at the same time as the Octa and be at the same tempo
•On your MIDI track, you have to double tap on the “Playback/Note” button to get to the Midi Channel configuration, select the channel you want the midi track to be sent to (for the digitone it should be 1 to 4 but you can change that on the Digitone) and the PUSH THE KNOB TO CONFIRM YOUR SETTING (this is usually the part that’s counterintuitive)

In the digitone, you need to check that you receive clock and transport in the midi configuration and check that the channels are the same as those you picked on the Octatrack.

Don’t know if I missed something but that’s what comes to mind

Oh and also, in the Octatrack, set the “Audio channel Midi” settings to “Int” so the Audio track will not send midi information to the Digitone

3 Likes

Excellent! If this will work tonight I owe you one! Cant wait to test it.
Thx 4 your quick response Dude!

1 Like

Good morning everyone! Moin Martebar!
I’ve spent too many hours just to listen to those great ambient vibes & evolving melodies you will be able to create in nearly seconds with this killa combo! Wow! Will definitely use this method for my upcoming tracks, no doubt!

BUT. Right now I just want to build a complexe beat and now I’ve got a whole new other problem. I’m afraid that my OT is damaged?

For example.

Creating Midi track with this method on Track 1
Recording Audio track also on track 1.

Everything ok, BUT when I want to mute my audio track in the Mixer or even with FUNC + Track 1 button my audio track won’t mute anymore and it’s also highlighted in green.
For every other track it still works, so I’ll guess it has something to do with the Midi Track 1?

Anyway. Thanks a lot for sharing this way of working with us @Martebar!

Would be great If someone will able to help me with this new problem!

Have a nice sunday dudes!

Sure. Totally brocken. Send it to me! :slight_smile:

It seems soloed. Unsolo it with Cue + Trig1 in mixer mode.

3 Likes