Eurorack: go cheap or specific, aka quantity over quality

If you’re in Eurorack with a budget, its super important to know what you want to do. So how do you want to expand on what you have? Sound design, sequencing, etc?

I don’t hear often that the more expensive modules are “overpriced” So I don’t think you’d be wrong for saving up. On the other hand, Doepfers do pack a value punch.

I don’t think you could put together a Mimeophone out of Doepfer modules. Maybe a DPO, but probably not, and probably more expensive and more HP (one cannot understate how great MN integrated attenuators are). So if those are what you want you might as well save.

Another question to ask yourself is if you really need new modules or you just want to fill your case. I ask myself this every time I enter ModularGrid.

4 Likes

All good points, but to start with this part. I don’t really “need” any of it:) Especcially from a writing/output point of view. So it’s more from curiosity to learn synthesis. In that sense, cheap basic modules might be enough to keep exploring.

My first row had the opposite reasoning behind it. I missed the flowwy loopy modular techno vibe in my Rytm/OT. The Mimetic, Clep Diaz and LIP completely gave what I hoped I’d get from them. So in that sense I completely agree, something like a LIP is actually quite cost effective, with all the built in oscillators, envelopes, VCAs.

But still:) Sometimes there’s such fun simple modules to be had for so little. In part because many people sell them because you always want that “better” one which has it all.

Well shoot if you’re just looking to see what’s up, why not go for whatever? Yes there are great deals for older models (atm Rene MKI and Clouds come to mind) and Doepfer do offer amazing value. Plus you won’t lose if you decide to sell it (unless, obviously, a new model comes out :wink: )

Might I suggest something…analog? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, thanks :wink:

Maybe the second level of lesson here is: I should figure out which type/purpose of modules I need. And then buy the cheap iterations. (Instead of just random modules just cause cheap)

1 Like

For sure. You can get into trouble that way.

If you’re into sequencing aspects, maybe a switch. Sound design, maybe a filter or analog delay.

Randoms are always fun.

1 Like

Learning synthesis? Beyond subtractive?
Can’t beat the A-143-9, A-133, A-196, & A-188 for that. Dirt cheap too.

6 Likes

Can you give some examples of good randoms? Just meaning a S&H+Noise like I could find in a Kinks? (on my wish list)

Looked them up. These are all perfect indeed I think - and all the type of use that makes sense in a simple module. Only I don’t know yet what phase locked loops are :slight_smile: Will research

1 Like

Erica Pico, Doepfer A-118, Turing Machine all come to mind as cheap randoms. Make sure they have a dedicated noise out.

1 Like

Lots of relevant info in this thread:

3 Likes

Found a B-stock A-118-2! Awaiting to get it in the mail.

It’s got quite some nice dedicated functionalities, cheap (€65 incl shipping:) looking forward to start working with random in my patches.

Why’d you specifically suggest to have a dedicated noise out? To use as free extra sound source, or for modulation purposes?

This…S+H, Bernoulli gates and other random based modulation you might be able to swing from the modules you have.

But drum sounds too!

I’d be really careful when buying modules based on specs or features and look at playability. I’ve been out of the case-swapping game for a while, but when I found myself buying more than a couple of modules at a time, I wound up being overwhelmed, not taking the time to learn them individually or even worse getting so frustrated that I sold all the new modules, starting over with an all new all new skiff.

This is what I’d suggest to someone starting a new row of Eurorack.

1. If you have any obsessive tendencies, buy a bunch of blanks, 20 hp, 10 hp, 4 hp and a couple of 2 hp.
  2. If you are going to go to the next skiff, start with one module at a time. Start with ‘what’s missing’.
  3. Install your blanks while you wait. Spend a few days or a week with that new module.
  4. Repeat as needed.

The big modules can be a trap. I think usually they are focused on effects (rainmaker, magneto) or oscillators. If you really really want those specific things, go for it. I’d say definitely stay away from something like Endorphines Grand terminal which is supposed to do it all but looks like a nightmare to actually use. Doepfer stuff seems to be classic. Ladik seems to have a bunch of nice interesting modules in 4hp that are cheap.

1 Like

The main thing that put me off cheaper options like the Doepfer modules was size, because I knew that I’d quickly outgrow my rack and have to buy more housing, and that’s a hassle in terms of money and space. But at the same time I didn’t want loads of 2HP micro-units because it’s not much fun using them. So I tended to go for reasonably sized mutli-function modules. There are definitely some examples where I now think I could have used a cheaper and more focused module and gotten more out of it, even if it meant giving it more space, but by and large I haven’t done too badly.

If I was starting over with what I now know, I’d worry less about space and try to build a more focused rack with task-specific modules, and Doepfers would certainly be among them. I’d almost certainly try an A-149-1 instead of a Wogglebug, for example. I’d probably keep Warps over a dedicated wavefolder (though I do already also have a μFold… sigh…). But this insight is a result of the kind of undisciplined apprenticeship that’s very hard to avoid with Eurorack… you start off with a Maths and all the good advice goes flying out the window.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

I didn’t realize there was a “new” version. That is insane value in 4hp. Where did you find the B-Stock?

use VCV rack to trial/demo modules prior to deciding or buying. research and you tube modules and features/functionality that are of interest for you. know what you want to achieve first before buying anything, have a goal otherwise you’ll end up with loads of stuff without a purpose.

example
a) Mutable Instruments modules can often run alternative firmware making them more flexible.
b) Expert Sleepers Distings modules can do many, many jobs, LFOs, OSC’s and sample playback. ideal for flexibility too

2 Likes

Nice right? It even adds some things (I think the internal S&H?)

Found it on musicstore.de they often have some B-stock returns, just like Thomann. But depending wether you’re around here of course

1 Like

It’s super nice. Music Store I find a bit more expensive than Schneidersladen, but seem to have a bit more stock.

Doepfer is so well priced, I might just throw it in the cart I have going at Schneidersladen for the helluva it.

1 Like