Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

I haven’t noticed this and I think the LXR-02 should still be very usable in spite of this flaw. I have been more worried about the insane volume output from the headphones. Maybe that pitched sound is audible because of the loud signal level. But why not just use the main outputs then?

1 Like

I was thinking exactly the same during the day. Back then, when I had the LXR, I was playing it solo. When you maximise these levels afterwards there’s a good amount of boosting noise floor, too. This isn’t the typical use-case for a drum machine, of course. Combined with other gear levels will be kept lower naturally and almost no noise should get through…

1 Like

Interesting, thank you for your input. Anyways, for transparency I told the buyer about it. It’s a bit annoying with headphones directly in, but in the end when you’re recording its not noticeable.

Yeah, it’s still very useable, just a bit annoying when jamming with the headphones.
Actually, for me, the high pitch sound is only when the fader is at the lower end of the range, when I crank it to the top the high pitched sound goes away.
And yes its too easy to accidentally knock that main fader, which could be seriously pain inducing. As others have suggested a solution for that could be the adapter with volume control for headphones that you put in between your headphones and the lxr.
Sometimes I liked jamming on the sofa just with the unit, away from my other machines and computer, and then when I had some patterns I liked I could go back to the rest of the setup and record it.
It’s not an unbearable problem though, and I could still do that and lived with it, but I was just interested if others had also experienced this issue, or if my unit was defected in some way before I sold it. Thanks for you input.

Wanted to check in with a question about chromatic midi and cc on digitakt since I couldn’t find a definite answer in the thread
I’m wondering if the issue of separate channels for chromatic midi and cc has been fixed in 1.6? I saw in the 1.6 patch notes they mentioned “fixed: MIDI channel handling for CC messages (use voice channel as well)” but wasn’t sure exactly what that meant.
So would I be able to sequence notes and edit cc on a single digitakt midi trackwith 1.6?
Looking to buy one of these and planning on using digitakt midi 1-7 to sequence Lxr 02 and channel 8 to sequence my hydrasynth :nerd_face:
Thanks!

Mine has a small bug : when autoloading a kit on pattern change the drum1 track doesn’t restore filter drive properly, it sets it to 0, despite displaying the right value. Wondering if other people got the same bug.

1 Like

GC used dept has one.

1 Like

Page 14 of the manual says that out, len, nte, ch, nte will be found under the MIX page, but they aren’t. Where do you adjust the MIDI channel or note the voice responds to? I’m using firmware 1.6.

ADDED: Same behavior with firmwares 1.4 and 1.2: MIX’s overflow page shows the words “Voice” and “Volume,” but nothing can be change there. As soon as I turn a knob there, it switches back to the main page.

Just press the MIX button twice to see the second page.
Whenever you see “>” on the right of the LED displays, it means there is another page with more parms to adjust, just press the relevant page button again.

2 Likes

Aha! I’d been pressing the data knob to get to the “>” stuff.

1 Like

You can also use the data knob aswell, by turning it when it’s on the last parm for that page, the next turn of data knob will automatically change page, just not by pressing it down (selecting).

1 Like

I’ve made a strange observation today. I noticed that when I change patterns on the LXR-02, when it’s tempo is set internally there is a noticeable studder/pause between patterns. When I have it synced to Ableton (i.e. BPM set to EXT), it’s super tight - no pause/studder. I’ve never noticed this before. Is it possible I have some CONFIG setting set wrong? I can’t imagine that it would be worse when using stand-alone.

Here’s an audio example. First part is sync’d to Ableton, second is not.

1 Like

Annoying. I’ve not encountered this phenomenon when changing patterns on the LXR-02.

Hey everyone,
I am thinking of getting LXR-02 and have couple of questions.

1. How is it as a drum machine which is sequenced externally? I am planning to sequence it with Torso T-1. Does it take away some of its charm or is it still very solid?
  2. How does LXR-02 react to gate time via Midi Note On/Off messages? For example T-1 has sustain knob which defines gate time/length. What would happen to LXR-02 voice if I were to modify this sustain parameter? I would love to be able to control drum’s decay with this, but I am not sure if that’s possible.
2 Likes

I’m not using it these days anymore, but :

1. I’ve used it with an external sequencer exclusively. Works super nice and I love that it’s got a kit structure, and that kits are accessed via MIDI CCs. That’s much more convenient than the Rytm, that I use this way but needs to be prepared with empty patterns so you can recall kits via Program Change messages.

2. I’m also a big fan of drum machines that use sustain in their sound design. Unfortunately, the LXR doesn’t belong to this category. Once a hit is triggered, it’s triggered, period.

3 Likes
  1. I’ve sequenced via Digitakt many times and is really solid , great having Digitakt control lxr cc’s
  2. Nope, sadly no sustain / gate control on Lxr02. I guess you can control decay/slope externally , but not quite the same or as easy.
1 Like

Cheers both, good to know!

Still a bit sad about sustain. It feels like you loose quite a bit of control without it. Being able to randomize sustain via T-1 is super fun.

1 Like

I was a bit bummed out that it doesn’t send each track a separate midi-channel. This made it a bit less convenient to sequence with the T-1 in my opinion since you had to set the correct note etc. my Nord Drum 2 is way better with the T-1 because every track is its own midi-channel. :relaxed:

I think that I’ve controlled LXR02 with my oxi with separate midi channels. I’m almost sure that it is an option in the last page of each voice…

2 Likes

With the OXI it was quicker to control the LXR-02 for me because when using the multitrack sequencer it almost set the correct note for each track by itself but not completely if I remember correctly. I sold the LXR-02 so can’t check aging. But please if it’s possible to assigned a midi channel per track please let me know. I kind of miss the LXR-02 but the hassle of using it with the T-1 and also to some extent the OXI threw me off and the kit management was a bit tiresome. But I really loved the sound from it :relaxed: