Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

And I commend ES for picking it up and giving it a second life. That was a nice and unexpected move on their part. It’s a great sounding design that deserved a wider audience.

But expectations should be managed for anyone going in: it doesn’t have the same lineage as other ES devices and it’s not like an Elektron box.

1 Like

Did you get this to work ?

Different case but maybe related and helpful… I’ve got an OG LXR and send program change messages from Akai Force to change kits. But I have to send MSB instead of program change message for it to switch kits… Might that be an option on an OT? (I don’t have one)

Thanks for the tip, will investigate with LXR02 and OT.

Did you get this to work with OT ?

Chromatic notes, midi-arp, midi-lfo, midi-retrig with Retrokit rk002 with OT and LXR-02

OT and LXR-02 (Firmware 1.6)

Bank A OT plays pat 1-16 LXR02, Bank B 17-32,…
Possible to play diff OT pat with same LXR pat (copy pat on LXR)

More to investigate

1. How to change kits with OT ? A. only 4/bank, with parts ? B. MSB instead of program change ?

2. Instant pattern change possible with OT and LXR-02 and rk002 ?
    Stop/Start for instant pattern change - #26 by tro

These are killer. Killed my GAS for the LXR-02 immediately. Thank you!

BTW…are these drum presets available in some form?

1 Like

replacing Mr. Bungle with Brittany Speers.
Go for it.

1 Like

Hey,

got a LXR-02 a few days ago, but have some trouble syncing correctly. I use bitwig, (studio 5.03), but i got some questions i hope you can help with!

1. When using USB MIDI the internal sequencer plays at double or higher speed. Any fix for this? BPM is set to EXT of course.

2. Also, i wonder how i disable the transport and play the notes from sequencer instead? I have set midi transmit to PCN (anyway the one that dont use the start/stop) and set the different drums to react to different notes. But this dont work, i dont get a response.

Any tips on where to look? I have checked the manual but it´s really not much help!
Cheers! /mbang

Issue 1 sounds like you’re sending 2 copies of midi clock to the LXR… check for midi loops and check to see exactly what is sending clock to where. Check the MRT (Midi routing / midi through) settings on the LXR. I had accidentally set USB to Midi (U2M) on mine one day and clock was going out then coming back in.

Issue 2 - midi receive filter RXF needs to include the N for note. And maybe C for CCs if you’re gonna do CC control. Also check the global midi channel in LXR settings, and also check the voice midi channel in MIX page for each voice, depending on how your planning to use it.

I use split midi channel (Drum 1 on midi channel 1, Drum 2 on midi channel 2 etc) then I can play any note with any voice. If you do that, you’ll use 7 channels for voices and then you should set master midi channel (in settings) to 8 for program changes and global morph etc.

1 Like

Thanks, man.,

I got it working, not sure what i did but left the studio, came back and did a overhaul, not i have a group where the different instruments are according to their routing, that is also where i set the output from the sounds interface.
Somehow i managed to get it working, now it´s in perfect sync and i can skip the internal sequencer and program everything in one arrangement window, plus add different effects. So i am content, at least for now.

Yes, i checked all the things you mentioned. Maybe it was the midi channel that got it working, dont know. Now i am running everythng on the same. BUT, i had set sounds to react to c4, d4 and so on… But in reality its the c2, d2 and so on that makes them play. Odd.

Anyway, happy it works!
The midi tips in the end i appreciate, sounds like a good idea to separate the notes and CC n stuff…

Gotta experiment with the sounds, though.

Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome! Yeah I can strongly recommend trying the split channel method, setting up a thick distorted bass / lead / pad patch on drum 2 or 3 and playing it using a keyboard or grid controller - the LXR makes some wicked bass/synthy sounds. Simple architecture / oscs etc but the sound is meaty. And having the ability to change the pitch of the voices when doing drum programming just by moving your midi notes up and down on the piano roll in your DAW is super helpful for me to get voices to sit with each other.

The octave number thing is I think to do with whether a manufacturer starts at 0 for the lowest octave or -2. I guess your DAW uses -2 for the lowest octave. Maybe!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!
I havent actually worked with drums chromatically, probably since the era when i only worked with sampled ones. Usually, i tune the drum until it fits me, but maybe it could useful to be able to play the drums more. Or, it could absolutely be useful when using the lxr as something else than just a drummer. I will try it out! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

On my unit, when i have headphones plugged in, and I turn the volume up when no pattern is playing, I hear a very low volume, but high pitch frequency. Almost like tinnitus, but its definitely from the machine, not my ears. When playing patterns and sounds, it is not noticeable through the mix though. Is this normal for the lxr02 headphone out? Are other people hearing this too? I tried recording it, but the sound is not there when plugged into my interface with a cable coming from the phone output. It’s only noticeable when i am listening through headphones directly. It’s not really a big issue, but I want to sell mine, and want to check if others are like that before I sell.

From my experience there has definitely been an issue with high pitched noise/noise floor on the LXR02 – not only with headphones but always. I had a lengthy discussion with Erica’s support around this topic where at first they denied an issue but finally concluded this is to be accepted as general design flaw. When carefully listening to Richard de Hoves demos on youtube you’ll hear it, too.

I really loved the LXR for tweakability, faders and raw sound – but this issue made me return it within the first few weeks.

Edit: please read my next post for clarification why today I most likely would not consider the noise-issue an issue…

1 Like

I haven’t noticed this and I think the LXR-02 should still be very usable in spite of this flaw. I have been more worried about the insane volume output from the headphones. Maybe that pitched sound is audible because of the loud signal level. But why not just use the main outputs then?

1 Like

I was thinking exactly the same during the day. Back then, when I had the LXR, I was playing it solo. When you maximise these levels afterwards there’s a good amount of boosting noise floor, too. This isn’t the typical use-case for a drum machine, of course. Combined with other gear levels will be kept lower naturally and almost no noise should get through…

1 Like

Interesting, thank you for your input. Anyways, for transparency I told the buyer about it. It’s a bit annoying with headphones directly in, but in the end when you’re recording its not noticeable.

Yeah, it’s still very useable, just a bit annoying when jamming with the headphones.
Actually, for me, the high pitch sound is only when the fader is at the lower end of the range, when I crank it to the top the high pitched sound goes away.
And yes its too easy to accidentally knock that main fader, which could be seriously pain inducing. As others have suggested a solution for that could be the adapter with volume control for headphones that you put in between your headphones and the lxr.
Sometimes I liked jamming on the sofa just with the unit, away from my other machines and computer, and then when I had some patterns I liked I could go back to the rest of the setup and record it.
It’s not an unbearable problem though, and I could still do that and lived with it, but I was just interested if others had also experienced this issue, or if my unit was defected in some way before I sold it. Thanks for you input.

Wanted to check in with a question about chromatic midi and cc on digitakt since I couldn’t find a definite answer in the thread
I’m wondering if the issue of separate channels for chromatic midi and cc has been fixed in 1.6? I saw in the 1.6 patch notes they mentioned “fixed: MIDI channel handling for CC messages (use voice channel as well)” but wasn’t sure exactly what that meant.
So would I be able to sequence notes and edit cc on a single digitakt midi trackwith 1.6?
Looking to buy one of these and planning on using digitakt midi 1-7 to sequence Lxr 02 and channel 8 to sequence my hydrasynth :nerd_face:
Thanks!