Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

Hope I find time today for it.
I will try out sequencing from octatrack, the cc fix could be really usefull.

1 Like

Refresh my memory, You’re hoping the CC fix allows us to play tracks externally and do this chromatically and with CC values at the same time? I remember trying this some time back and it wasn’t possible. Hopefully it is now, will hook up to my Digitakt later and try this out.

Yes, exactly. Thats what I hope for.

1 Like

Well, I plugged it in.
Got lost while jamming and totally forgot about hooking it up with another box…
One hour later: no bugs I witnessed so far.

1 Like

Curious about the CC messages – would this basically mean that the CC messages are ‘channelized’?

I seem to remember the LXR had a really daft implementation where you’re supposed to send, say, cutoff information for each track on MIDI channel 1, and the cutoffs are sth like CC 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52. Does this update fix that, so that you send, say, cutoff for channel 3 on MIDI channel 3, CC 47?

MIDI CC/NPRN’s on LXR-02 have not changed from what I can see. The way I’m doing it from digital now is:

1. Digitakt MIDI A-G sending on channel 9, single notes, C1 on MIDI A, D1 on MIDI B… B1 on MIDI G.
  2. Digitakt’s 8 CC defined on each of the MIDI Channels so that each knob controls SRT, DRV, FLT, RES, COA, SLP, ATK, DCY on the LXR-02.
  3. LXR-02 all tracks channels set to 9, including global. and each track to trigger on a single note to match what the Digitakt sends, i.e. C1, D1, E1…B1

This means whilst I cant play each track chromatically, I can control the Pitch by P-Locking the COA (coarse tune) value.

I’ve also managed to control the FX using the NPRN values…
it’s all working pretty well, but did notice some bugs during set up from a clean new project on 1.6 - Things like although midi channel was set to 1 initially on the lxr-02 it didn’t receive anything until I changed the value of the midi channel from 1 -> 2 -> back to 1. Seems like sometime the initialised value is nil or null but UI shows a value. Anyway, all good and getting some nice patterns with P-Locking these various values.

[EDIT] This post is super useful on getting NPRN’s values to work for FX and filter drive etc: How to config NRPN on CC SELECT page? - #4 by void

2 Likes

i decided not to test the midi cc thing.
i played with lxr-02, had a hanging note. i couldn’t get it to shut up until power down.
another time i needed to change to a pattern and go back to my wanted pattern, because in the first try it wouldn’t make a sound at all.
i know, just power it off and on again, bla bla… but no. i won’t do that while playing live. i really want to have instruments that do the sound i want, and at the same time when i want.

i planned it to pair it with octatrack. man that would be a so nice combo.
its the faders, weight, small footprint, gorgeous sound and overall robustness of the hardware. 4 mono outs, what’s not to like!

but the stability. of the lxr-02.

i will not sell it. it’s a keeper. sample fodder and well, simetimes its fun to just noodle on it around, and when it hangs you wont get lost into it.
:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’d use mine live. The ‘stability’ issues are a thing but they only seem to happen when I’m working on a project and messing about changing things rather than when I’m actually recording a piece.

Hi! Just got an Lxr 02 and I can only set the global midi channel. Could you please post how exactly we can set seperate MIDI channel per voice?

Please consult the manual. I don’t have my LXR anymore.

Press MIX button twice, you can set the MIDI channel and trigger Note (C1, C#1… ANY). This can be done per track/voice.

Thank you, it works fine!

1 Like

I see that this comment was made 3 days after Erica announced firmware v1.6 - I’m guessing that you hadn’t upgraded yet? If so, have you had a chance to? Did it address any of the issues that you’ve been experiencing with stability?

EDIT: re-reading the earlier part of your conversation now, and I see that you addressed this - my bad, please ignore.

What hardware fx are people feeding their lxr-02’s into?

For mixer logistics I’ve ended up using a mono output, got given a Behri TD-3 for xmas which it turns out you can use just as an external analog lpf filter. Digital drum synth radically transformed. It also comes with an analog distortion but I’ve not yet found a setting that doesn’t sound better when you turn it off. Might work better on a single channel.

For anyone who’s owned their LXR-02 for some time now, have you stumbled upon and techniques for specific sounds?

I find getting a great kick drum is not difficult at all. Getting an x0x clap is easy if you use the clap sample and get the volume envelope right (and you either need to select PWM as the OSC with a setting of 0 to silence it, or just use a bit of noise).

The one sound that I haven’t been able to get to my liking is the hihat. It always has too much of a specific pitch or is too metallic. I can deal with it, but I’m curious if anyone has a secret formula. Also for snappy snares that don’t sound like lazer hits.

1 Like

If you’re getting a metallic sound on your hihat - an easy solution would be to use noise instead of the default sine wave as your source. Other tips: using hihat sample but on very low pitch (like even 0) can give a cool sound. If you’re using other source than noise you should experiment with FM parameters a lot in order to lose the obvious metallic sound. Use high pass filter with high resonance in order to get rid of an undesired sound.

About the snares, I don’t really use them in my music so sadly can’t help.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, using the highpass filter on hihats on the LXR is almost a must. Your other tips are good as well, and I’ve tried them out.

A couple of other things that I recently tried that are helping as well:

1. Using the PWM Oscillator Waveform can give you a thinner sounding starting point, depending on where you set the amount, which I find a helpful starting point.
  2. Another good starting point, regardless of what FM waves you choose, is to set the frequency of FM Osc 1 a single step lower than the main Osc frequency and then slowly turning up the gain to find the sound you like. Then repeat the process with FM Osc 1, but make that one step higher than the main Osc.

The challenge (and maybe the fun!) of these parameters is that there’s almost an endless amount of results by simple changing the frequency of each of these 3 oscillators and their gain amounts and the pwm amount.

1 Like

LXR-02 is great but im selling mine after getting the Perkons! :slight_smile:

How would you compare the LXR and the Perkons sound ? While the interface is obviously great on the Perkons, I find the demos lacking the punch of the LXR, at least to my taste and the music I want.

1 Like

Honestly, the LXR probably sounds better overall - or at least has way more variability because of the expanded editing possibilities but the Perkons is a sum of the parts. The LXR is really nice in its own right and if I could afford to keep both I would. In terms of punch, yes the dual layers of overdrive do add that bit more in the LXR… the Perkons overdrive is surprisingly tame. Im happy with it though… if I want to add more grit/bite to the Perkons then theres plenty of ways to do that in outboard

3 Likes