Ergonomicz

I see dudes on here with tons and tons of gear, how do you do it comfortably? I like everything to be in my immediate reach without stretching too far constantly or it becomes uncomfortable to work for very long. I’m thinking of opting for a wind up standing table or building a desk eventually. It really brick walls me being uncomfortable in my studio, I was just wondering how some of you guys do it, are you bouncing round the room? I’m also wondering if it’s just me and I’m unhealthy considering I’m in my early 20s and some guys here are in their 50s and up. I’m not a fat guy at all, I just don’t lead a particularly healthy lifestyle

3 Likes

This is the very reason why my GAS levels have abated.

No point having all that gear when it’s uncomfortable to work with. You could swap things out when needed but nowadays I prefer a minimal/to the point set up.

I’m 45 in May and feel crap most of the time. I’m not big either, but having a cluttered work space used to knacker me out, mentally and physically.

89D7EE87-231A-435A-B64D-9E82AE558C06

This is the last photo I took of my setup. I no longer have the AH or the DT, but I added an OP-1 and another FireworX Fx unit. This is about all I can handle at any one time.

14 Likes

Standing desk for the win. Sitting on a chair for hours while your mind is busy is really bad for your body. I just have a little cushioned stool for when I need to sit for a little while.

2 Likes

I’ve got quite a tight space for my setup so am constantly moving things around, but this sloping shelf on my keyboard stand has helped get everything within reach from the chair.

1 Like

I used a twin-arm monitor VESA bracket with cantilever arms, and screwed wooden shelves on the VESA mounts. then I screwed rubber door stops at the bottom of the shelves so the synths don’t slide down when the shelves are at an angle. This setup allows me to move the shelves around a little.

Regarding Standing Desks, I came across these units that sit on top of your existing desk. Better suited If you have minimal equipment, and a bit expensive. But thought i’d share in case they’re of interest to anyone.
https://uk.varidesk.com/en-gb/home?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-SnpIuw2QIVTZPtCh34fAP9EAAYASAAEgIhY_D_BwE

1 Like

I just mounted a shelf over my desk, at head height, and put the computer screen there as well as the speakers. I can pull out one of the VESA mounted shelves underneath if I want to use the mouse. And there’s another computer keyboard on a slide-out tray under the desk for boring editing/renaming tasks when I sit down.

Having the speakers at head height forces me to stand up so that I can get to hear the mix properly.
I use a Logitech gaming mouse so I can assign some keyboard shortcut stuff to the extra buttons to reduce the need for the computer keyboard. I used USB Overdrive to map the up/down cursor keys to the scroll wheel (for Ableton only ) so I can use that to operate virtual knobs. Works prety well!

1 Like

My largest rig requires standing. My lil rigs are small and everything is in reach, so those I can operate while sitting.

I sit all day at work etc so standing while musicisizing certainly helps.

I’ve really enjoyed having my laptop up above, so I can stand and it’s still usable. Plus, it encourages better posture if I’m sitting :slight_smile: Now that I’m not really using the mixer as intensively or in live sets I can put that off to the side and focus on the modular+OT or MAX combo. There’s space for my MIDI controller and OP1 if I end up integrating those, but usually have those off to the side. MOTU/preamp/compressor below to the side and I have a little Ikea storage thing to the side with music books, manuals, mics, field recording stuff, and misc shit.

1 Like

This!

2 Likes

Looking at where the 404 is gives me back ache. I cant do with stuff in the sides of me, Ive tried it before and I find it exhausting spinning forwards and backwards and stretching to use it, I avoid multiple desks now

Yeah I get what you mean, past a certain point it’s pointless having everything running, it can end up fussy changing things over constantly though. I think patchbays are the answer in that regard. My setup isn’t huge in its entirety, I just find myself struggling to find a comfortable place for the basics, I’d like a roll out tray for a keyboard under the desk and then space for a couple of boxes and space for a computer keyboard and mouse. I don’t think there’s an easy answer except buy a big studio desk or build one. My desk at the minute is bodged out of various Ikea parts so it’s less than ideal

@sellanraa that looks like a nice place to work, I tried having my screen up high though and it felt unnatural

It definitely took some getting used to, but I had a glandular issue that left me with severe osteoporosis. I’ve been working on making some little adjustments to prevent my old bones from having quite as negative of an impact. It’s crazy how many years I spent stooped over on a shitty chair staring at a screen - no wonder my posture is questionable at times. Getting a nice chair and the laptop elevated (even though I use the laptop less in music making these days) has been a welcome change :slight_smile:

I started tai chi at the beginning of this year too - hopefully that helps, but if nothing else, it’s fun and relaxing.

1 Like

This is me too, although it took me many years to realise the fact. However it is not without its own set of problems for me, I have a very small room (roughly 6ft x 8ft) and probably about 60-70 instruments, although obviously they can’t all be set up at the same time, but due to different physical sizes, connection types, shapes and whatnot it can be somewhat of a puzzle/headfuck. I get around it mostly by having smaller gear like Volcas, Pocket Operators, Roland boutiques, and Elektron stuff, so swapping “like for like” machines out is much simpler, and I also have 2 48 point patchbays and a few other utility devices which make things easier. But it means that I have to choose gear very carefully and certain things have to be set up all the time for practical reasons. I am currently in the midst of the long process of getting it all organised, but I’m confident that I will get a workable and as hassle free system as can be, given the restrictions.

For ergonomics I have almost everything within easy reach and I use a standing/sitting stool, so that it is easy to switch between sitting or standing. Also to combat back ache and posture related problems I try, but not always succeed in keeping a strong core by doing press-ups, sit-ups, planking and kettle bells, as well as daily walking and other physical stuff :wink: It also helps to keep your weight and BMI in check, I definitely noticed at my heaviest that I got more back aches and other physical discomfort than now 20kg less, and I have never been what is considered fat, but I’m quite tall.

1 Like

I like everything to be available at short notice so I try to keep most things permanently connected and just switched off if not needed. The cable spaghetti can be tucked away and forgotten! I am running out of space though :smirk:

I’ve been doing tai chi for a while and it really fixed me up after years of sitting on my ass hunched over a laptop! hang loose!

2 Likes

As others have said, ergonomics kind of killed my GAS. I used to have a bunch of stuff. Even 3 Elektron boxes side by side feels to wide. Eventually it’ll be 2 wide and 2 deep.

1 Like