Erae Touch - A versatile MPE controller with customizable elements

I was interested in this but the last posts in this thread are kinda negative. I’m gonna think twice about it.
Meanwhile, are the people who own this happy with it ?

I use mine almost every day as a control surface for sketching and triggering desktop synths to do sound design. I like the ability to rearrange controls for different projects.

My one attempt with it at a jam session (fortunately with no audience!) was a train wreck, because I did not practice much with it ahead of time. Touch sensitivity seemed more than in the studio, or I’d programmed it wrong, or likely both.

I think I’m getting my money’s worth, although just. I would buy it again, but if you’re on the fence you might want to see if you can try one first or at least get a used one.

So I got a hold of an Erae Touch a few months ago, after seeing one in person at a shop, being impressed, and harassing Embodme for ages to let me check it out. I think they ran into supply issues, though I’m also a nobody so not surprised it took a while for me to get a preview unit.

I’ve shared a video here if you want to watch me ramble on:

For a summary though… I was excited about it as a general, customisable controller which would let me use it with a bunch of different weirdo devices. Video synthesizers, triggering clips, controlling faders on my Dirtywave M8, all that kind of thing. I thought it would look cool on stage (important), but also - most importantly - it has an actual physical MIDI output in addition to USB! That alone was cool enough, and I think makes it really useful.

I’ve been generally impressed with it for that use case. The build quality feels really nice - nicer than expected - and it’s done what I want it to. There are always weird quirks and the risk of things going wrong with touch sensitive devices (I’ve had problems with both my Linnstrument and Seaboard before), but once I got the sensitivity dialled in to my liking, the Erae Touch seemed responsive and reliable enough.

I can see how for certain applications folks wouldn’t love how it operates, e.g, for really specific, granular control. That has the potential to be frustrating, though with practice, it gets easier as you get more accustomed to the surface.

The firmware is generally pretty good, though there are some UX issues (like having to select CC values from a giant dropdown or a slider) that I’ve fed back to them. A couple of the layouts are confusing, and the sequencer is still in beta. So long as they keep upgrading and developing the firmware (which they’ve assured me they intend to do), then those things can be ironed out.

Overall, I like it. There isn’t anything else quite like it, and it’s filled a very particular spot for me. It is definitely going to be something that folks should try out first though, as it is a bit of a jack-of-all trades device, and it’s very possible that folks looking for a specific thing might be disappointed.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s me but it’s really easy to make ugly looking layouts on this thing

1 Like

A quick tour on their official forums combined with their social media publications shows the “state” of their intentions unfortunately…Last fw is more that one year away and dev is focused on their giant touchscreens…Promising ? Surely ! But clearly failed to deliver the full experience at least to me.

My interactions with them have taught me that you cannot trust a word they say…

Maybe it comes down to what we expect …

I liked the idea to get an isomorphic controller and the option to design my own layouts. Having more expression options with a single finger-touch - compared to a classic keyboard - has also been interesting. The optics of layouts is simple dot-matrix design, but functional.

This said, I bought it - as is. It was not cheap, but it delivers the things I was looking for.

I’m sorry to hear that! I haven’t really been on the forums - mostly just trying out the thing for myself. So far I haven’t encountered any of those issues other than it taking a while to get a unit (which was fair enough, since I’m a nobody and wasn’t buying one).

I think you’re probably right. For me the big thing was the customisable layouts, plus the minijack MIDI connection (as opposed to just USB). That alone meant it fills a gap that no other device I’ve come across has, and why I was interested in it.

If you consider it as a controller or a drumpad eventually, you’re less prone to disappointment.

As a playing surface it is still not quite there IMHO.

I made a review in audiofanzine but it is in French…

All in all, I’m happy some are enjoying it !

2 Likes

I think that’s probably a fair assessment! I was definitely viewing it through the lens of a general purpose controller, and haven’t really been using it as a playing surface for granular motion (like the MPE side). Mostly because I am crap at expressive play.

I would read the review but unfortunately despite six years of French at school I can’t read a word.

This is the only part relevant to the original question, but I found this video considering the SWAM software because of this post. Excuse me if it isn’t at all helpful, It’s a good watch anyway.

Embodme has other video with SWAM.

New hardware version with a ton of new features and improvements.

ERAE II

What is shown here is a prototype.

You can change the skin, which adjusts the sensitivity, for finger touch or drumsticks. There are separate control buttons with a knob and a separate small screen for control, so that control stays separate from the playing surface. The buttons also let you switch layouts for changing the playing surface controls quickly. The play surface can be split for separate parts. There is multiple CVs out, so would be nice controlling modular systems. It also has two MIDI outs.

It has looping, with separate loops running on each of the eight layouts. ( Not clear yet if the loops are separate or simultaneous. )

There also will be an arpeggiator with dimensional controls ! ( I think this will be similar to what is on the new Korg Keystage controller. ) Perhaps these sorts of controls work with the loops as well.

I’ve probably missed some things in this description, and also they are obviously in a very fluid part of their development, so expect more and improved features through to the Kickstarter shipment scheduled for this summer.

Notice too in the middle of this video, the use again of the SWAM synth with MPE.

4 Likes

People waiting for bugfixes and firmware updates will certainly be happy to hear that.

Finally announced! There were whispers at SB last year and hopefully they’ll show a more production ready device at this year’s event :slight_smile: .

That and other products. Embodme is a technology driven company with multiple potential products underway.

With the promise of greater sensitivity, I’d like to try this again for finger drumming. If it’s at least as sensitive and responsive to dynamics as Yamaha’s FGDP devices, that would be good enough. You can’t tell from the existing demo or future demos that only show people whacking the device hard or with hands rather than fingers. It’s hard to communicate sensitivity in words, but using an FGDP as a reference would clarify things.

1 Like

Is there still no warranty on Kickstarter ?
Looking forward for this new iteration.

The ERAE II Kickstarter has launched and is going bonkers, with still 29 days left. They say shipping in September.

They just made a Q&A Video. 25 minutes long, and a little rough.

Lots of great new features, plus new release for existing users. Sounds like they are still working through some of the technicals on this, but probably have those in hand.

Configuration Interface

System Overview

Key Features

• Standalone controller/looper with 16 layouts/tracks
  • Fully customizable interface with companion App Erae Lab for Layout creation
  • Smart arpeggiator, on-the-fly key and scale selection
  • Inter-changeable soft silica-gel skin with two included skins : white fabric and black semi-rigid silicone
  • High resolution LCD display for menu settings and live mapping
  • On-the-fly Key and Scale selection

Video showing prototype ERAE II controlling a modular Eurorack system :

3 Likes

In my case, considering this device primarily for fingerdrumming and then other uses secondarily, I’m now thinking that Ableton Push 3 is the better choice. At first, it seems apples and oranges, but after giving it some thought having owned the original Erae Touch, I can’t see that even Erae Touch II would be any better than Push 3. And then certainly Push 3 is much more capable when it comes to secondary uses, being thoroughly integrated with Ableton. The price difference, at less than $300, doesn’t really affect the decision.

Ooh, the two midi outputs is nice, to be able to keep mpe data and control days for conventional stuff separate. Also, that third USB port is interesting — I wonder if you’ll be able to eventually connect to two different midi hosts or devices at once? That could be really handy — I’m thinking of this and my Electra one and t1 as the whole midi side of my setup, and if this can connect to both devices via USB at the same time and otherwise allows for smart midi routing, that might let me replace my mrcc with a couple of dumb splitters.

Progress report on the ERAE II from Synthfest France :

Some views here of a new feature under development, the looper at 5:39.

So far they are on schedule, and still intend on getting MIDI 2.0 in by release in September.

The CV with the looper on this will make this super useful for anyone with Eurorack / modular, as you can capture complex ideas and modification in an instant.