Equaliser question

Q does nothing on high or low shelf for me

Strange. I just tested again with white noise. Works like expected. Even with gain set to -63 I can clearly hear and see the effect when I adjust Q on the shelf filters.

1 Like

Cheers! Investigating with noise now

Hang on, have the graphics in Effects 1 Setup been throwing me off?!

Doesn’t the HIGH look like a low shelf filter!?

Still no Q response but maybe tonight’s not the night to bend my brain with this!

EDIT: ok the graphics thing is just me - I’m thinking attenuating, it’s showing gain - still a high shelf :man_facepalming:

Q another day! Thanks guys

Yes quite a bit - very musical frq bands - definitely my go-to for cutting mids.

Think if I could control slope on parametric I would use it for low cutting more. It just sounds like a very gentle slope that I can’t seem to improve on - but I’m rapidly concluding it’s just me!

Been ODing on OT this weekend I think :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

It took me around a year or so (I know super pathetic) to understand how the EQ “works”. I don’t even know why … but I guess it’s because you really have to understand how it works since it doesn’t give you any visual feedback (besides the values). Every parameter needs to be well understood in its function. Sit down and learn what each knob does in detail.

1 Like

Afaik that’s a common depiction, the ‘raised’ part in the graphic is supposed to show that it’s a high shelf (or the opposite for a low shelf), I guess.

Just play white noise on your OT (loop it or use a long sample) and monitor the output with a spectrum analyser.

Pull the gain up and max Q, sweep the frequency from high to low, then do the same with Q all the way down to -63.
It was really obvious on my spectrum analyser how Q changes the eq curve.

Seems like a pretty flexible eq that can cover a lot of ground btw. :slight_smile:

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Really interesting use of eq :

3 Likes

Doing this with white noise. Looking at Pro-Q3 spectrum analyser. Can’t see or hear any difference between Q max and Q min when sweeping FRQ with GN at max…

Just to be clear - I’m talking only about the high and low shelf filters, not the parametric. Q has obvious effect on parametric.

At least I could see the slope is actually steeper than my ears/speakers were telling me. So, Q or no Q it is very useful/flexible like you say.

Plus I should invest in proper speakers…

I just loaded the same white noise sample, because I wanted to post screenshots of how Q behaves, but guess what? No dice…

That is pretty strange damn… last time I posted here I was sitting right in front of my OT, turning knobs while I was telling you it worked, so either there is a bug or the matrix has me…

Unfortunately I reloaded the part right after I did those tests the last time. So this is on another bank, another part. I’ll try to find out what’s going on, though.

It’s also in the manual, so I’m no throwing my sanity out of the window, yet. :wink:

2 Likes

I was about to check, but for me it’s normal that Q doesn’t modify shelves behavior, and I don’t remember changes of the curve when I tested them…

1 Like

I have several eq plugins which have Q control on the shelfing filters. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Want to play along at home?!

Sample used: klangfabrik white noise

Each test is two identical EQ frequency sweeps with one slide trig, first Q = 0, then Q = 127

High shelf, maximum gain:

Low shelf, maximum gain:

2 Likes

I prefer the second one. :pl:

2 Likes

I really hope I didn’t mix up the parametric eq and the shelfing filters and basically fell victim to conformation bias. I was switching between parametric and shelf quite a lot of course, so could be possible.

It even looked like the curve of a shelfing filter on the spectrum analyser, though!

Damn.

Apologies…

1 Like

No problem at all! My first post is full of confusion way beyond the Q business and I’m a lot clearer on it all now - so thanks all!

One thing that has caught me out has been using FX+CLEAR to reset the values on the page - it also resets the settings page and switches the TYP setting back to parametric

3 Likes

You’re a very bad guy. People won’t use eq anymore because of you. :smile:

3 Likes

Then I’ll make the eq my trademark secret weapon, playing (dual) Octa-only sets under the OctaQ moniker with heavy use of eq. Massive use of lfo modulation on Q, staggering amount of p-locks on Q, manually triggering of trigless trigs with plays free, lot’s of wiggling on encoders c and f.

:elot: Q = :heart:

4 Likes

I think from now we’ll call you Mister Q, the Equalizer Killer! :thup:

280px-Desmond_Llewelyn_01

2 Likes