EQing the AR for a live situation

hmm… not a bad idea, but i think it’s not gonna work out. if i understand correctly, i would have to change the EQs in the live situation, because I structure my kits differently every time… i’m not sure how difficult it is to accomplish this, but i think it does not really suit my “live-workflow”.

@tsutek the track dogma you mentioned was my first approach, when i started to create the set, but as i proceeded i constantly got new ideas how to structure it differently. the problem was, that every idea had its advantages & disadvantages, so i couldnt really decide which idea was the “one” to stick with. im avoiding this with the help of different pattern stages for each track im producing, this keeps me away from sticking to a dogma every time i start a new track.
the disadvantages of this workflow are obviously the mixing aspect (as you probably already noticed :stuck_out_tongue:) and that i cant use mute mode on stage. but other than that, this really helps me to produce ideas in the early stages freely, without overthinking to much.

I find that when I work from separate tracks to a continuous live set, much of the time is spent on working out the transitions, including changes in routing etc. That can mean restructuring kits to make it possible.

1 Like

You can use MIDI CCs to program scene changes to your Elektron box and to change your EQ settings too.

Aside from that, you’re overthinking EQing for live settings IMO. Treat it like a DJ mixer’s EQ, not like a mix engineer’s console EQ.

2 Likes

Digital mixer
and
Recall your Mixing session by tracks

or
Ableton Live + Soundcard + Akai APC and you find your workaround (advanced hub)

(generally harmonized x.number of tracks for the live performance and set it back to the device is what people do)

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it too much to be honest. Really small venues usually can’t have huge stacks to amplify the subfrequencies enough so that it will disturb your performance, and the bigger ones already have built in solutions (such as HPFs) for that (if they’re serious about their thing). For the 250hz area and around, I think you should just set the levels! Cutting LF on the delay and reverb is good for clearing up the boxy mud sometimes!

1 Like

Thanks to erveryone for your wisdom, i really appreciate it!

@dtr im already keeping the transitions in mind when i start to breakdown the track into different patterns. Changes to the last pattern of the track help smoothen the transition.

@Ray-Ray_Velouria i think ill stay with the combination in the Rytm itself at first, gather some experience and come back to it if i think it can be improved.

1 Like