Env Hold gripe - anyone else

I don’t recall anyone mentioning this before but I find it somewhat unintuitive that when the hold parameter in the envelope is at minimum knob position it is auto, I think it would be more logical to be at then end of the range after 127, both from a graphical perspective (it looks odd the way it jumps) and from a envelope tuning perspective.

Anyone feel the same, or just me?

4 Likes

I think i had a similar perspective on it - especially when you dial the value to minimise it, makes more sense to me that it should tend to zero - in practice auto is normally useful, but i’d like the change you proposed too

2 Likes

I got used to it.

1 Like

Totally agree, don’t understand this implementation - the DT makes more sense (auto is past 127 as you suggest). It’s even more annoying as it’s different on the two boxes.

1 Like

I’ve thought the same thing…

Yes, I think it was a gremlin that slipped through the net perhaps on AR but not on DT.

1 Like

AR must have eaten after midnight, DT did not

3 Likes

When we already at this topic: What does the auto setting do exactly? Does it match the hold setting you dial in on the machine page (if there is a hold setting)?

It bugs me too. I’ve said to myself, why isn’t this the end instead? Maybe even yesterday. It’s not the end of the world (rather the beginning :wink: ) but a little annoyance for sure.

The OB plugin has a nice little switch instead.

It holds for the length of the note you place on the sequencer, rather than a static hold time.

1 Like

Also when playing the pad manually, though for some sounds it isn’t too useful but for things like cymbals and DVCO or other sounds without a shorter envelope it can be handy for realtime playing/recording.

1 Like

When you turn Hold all the way down, it turns it “off” and goes into auto. You don’t turn something all the way up to turn it off. I think it’s logical.

But it’s an envelope not a toaster :slight_smile: Hold, more hold, more hold, even more… infinity.

I get how you see it too though.

Honestly a separate switch would be better, like in the OB plugin.

1 Like

Consistancy between Elektron boxes would be nice. Is this an Analog vs Digital thing?

The analog 4 does it the digi way hold at max… think it may have been just overlooked