Encoder Values: +/- By Whole Increments?

Hi all,

I know that function + turning an encoder will jump by certain large amounts (+12 in tuning, for example). Is there a way to have the encoder move values by whole increments? Something in between normal super fine movement and the giant leaps of function + encoder?

Thanks much!

trying pressing + turning the encoders, gives whole-number leaps on a lot of params.

1 Like

Oh awesome, so good to hear. Thank you, I will give that a try.

On twitter (you’re RMR right?) I saw you say you hated the encoders – still true after messing with the DT for a while? What are some gold-standard encoders in your opinion?

The DT encoders feel like the Push 2 encoders, but better (which I like for their ability to be super precise). The encoders in the DJTT MIDI Fighter Twister are amazing and feel much more chunky / throwable, which I like for more coarse / faster “playability”.

1 Like

Getting back to 0 can be frustrating, its more sensitive than my Korg Volca Sample and that drives me mad! I found that pressing the knob and turning through the entire sequence you end up at the end and then going back to 0 while its still pressed is no problem!

Use the Function + Turn to have it snap back to zero

1 Like

Hey yeah, that’s me. I was super taken back by how they felt when I got them. I had recently gotten a DrumBrute and expected it to be shit based on Arturia’s reputation, but was surprised at how much I liked the knobs. With the Digitakt I had the exact opposite experience.

Since spending more time with the DT I’ve grown to accept them, and the firmware update helped a lot. I think if the “press to +/- by whole values” thing works I’ll be in a much better place with the machine overall. Right now I end up spending a bunch of time trying to get values where I want, which is silly.

The throw on them I think is the most interesting thing. There is an actual software velocity curve that detects a fast throw of the encoder and will give it a big push one way or another. That’s useful for performance, for sure.

Agreed. It is definitely some very opinionated software / hardware design choices, but like everything else Elektron it feels very learnable and deep.

Not at home so I can’t check for sure, but the press + turn trick still isn’t 100% ideal, I think the sample pitch shift for example actually goes up in increments of 2, from your current value.

1 Like

If that’s the case I may let out a tiny scream. That would be such a f.cking strange implementation.

1 Like

Oh man, you made my day, Nice trick!!! Thanks!

1 Like

Its 4 in click mode, plus a bit extra if your not careful.

it seems to generally be 4
on delay feedback its 6.

probably depends on the range of hte main value (128 or 200 higher resolution knobs…)
still handy though…the knob acceleration can be tricky , personally i’d turn it off so that its the same speed each time .

Is there a function that allows you to return the value of a parameter back to 0 automatically?

Func + Turn usually does this. Occasionally (depending on how far from 0 you are) you may hit 1 or 2 larger values before 0.

1 Like

This is great, thank you