Empress Zoia // Euroburo

Yeah Im feelin the concerns about control schemes too. I think i started a “patch notes” request on the voting board but someone had already started a much more in depth thread that included the notes so I voted for it.

Out of curiosity which other type of modules were you thinking here?

1 Like

Analysis Modules: Onset Detector, Pitch Detector, Envelope Follower

There are a couple of dynamic looper patches that use envelope follower that are pretty neat. Mr Bernard’s couple of demos posted earlier here with his sax drew my attention back to the Zoia after I’d written it off as another Max/Pd in a box thing that can’t possibly work out for me. And I believe quite a few neat patches use onset detector.

Pitch detector doesn’t seem as widely utilized. I think peeps think “audio to synth” when they think of pitch detector, but I’m thinking it could be used for “key tracking” filter behavior or something like that.

No sorry i meant what else could be included?

I love onset and envelope. Really dynamic possibilities. Use it on reverb mix andor decay and delay time but inverted; output gain to reduce peaks, cv slew to add motion and all sorts of other stuff.

The pitch detector needs work. Theyve acknowledged this. Theyre up against some high standards…Meris and Eventide…

Sorry, I don’t understand the question.

I’m just thinking that I’ll be using the Analysis modules a lot as part of my own control scheme.

Ah. Maybe I misunderstood. You said “could mature” so I thought you were saying there could be other types of modules than the 3 given…

1 Like

It’s a struggle, honestly, and something I put a lot more thought (and time) into than people might realize.

Renaming modules helps (long term plan is to revise all my existing patches with named modules, work on using some control schemes I’ve developed in the time since I started publishing), but stompswitches are tricky.

People have proposed standards before, but… most of them have come from people who don’t do much patching, and it shows. (E.G. “All X modules should be on page Y, etc.” When module placement is highly contingent.) And honestly, I haven’t worked out any particularly consistent schema for my own patches, let alone anyone else’s. Some patches call for certain methods of organization that wouldn’t make sense with others.

4 Likes

Hey for all you smarties how could I make it that holding a stomp would set off the slew but letting go would bring it immediately back to zero?

1 Like

Use the separate rise/fall option for the slew limiter. Set rise to whatever and fall to 0.1 msec (its smallest value). Unless I’m missing some subtlety here?

3 Likes

Oh snap I dont think you are cause i had no idea it had that. TY!!

2 Likes

Challenge accepted :grin:

1 Like

No worries.

By “mature” I meant that these modules as a group will probably be updated over time. Perhaps one or more may be added, but this is just my relatively uneducated guess. I don’t have any brilliant ideas for new Analysis modules at the moment other than the mythical polyphonic pitch detctor.

1 Like

As long as we’re throwing out ideas for analysis modules, I’d love a nicely done oscilloscope module. I don’t mean like the basic waveform visuals you see on input and output, but a time- & voltage-adjustable oscilloscope where you can study a clearly displayed waveform and how it changes. (I should probably add this to the voting forum if it’s not already there)

4 Likes

My hopeful solution for controlling Zoia is a 16n Faderbank, which just arrived in the mail. Minijack MIDI, USB MIDI, and 16 CV jacks (one for each fader) all usable simultaneously means that it can be the control brain for Zoia, hardware modular, computer, or any combination at once. On Zoia I should be able to set up the faders in a patch either through the MIDI Learn features, or by manually creating MIDI CC IN modules and patching them to various locations. Hope it works without a hitch…

6 Likes

Yeah I’m in need of a small fader thing myself, especially to control OT tracks. I’ll wait to see what EDIT: Faderfox supposedly has cookin.

Who built yours?

Mine’s a matte black build from Michigan Synth Works, which goes for $200 plus shipping. Though I bought this one from someone who ordered weeks ago and then realized they didn’t need it anymore once it arrived. I haven’t actually connected it yet, but I’m pleasantly surprised at the quality of the build, the looks, and the form factor. The matte black really looks better in person than in photos. And I was expecting cheap plastic fadercaps (I guess because those are all I’ve ever used on mass market stuff like Korg Nanokontrol) but these are rubber, are great to touch, and have just the right amount of give when you slide them. I was actually considering replacing them with Buchla-style fadercaps because they look cooler, but now that I have the 16n in hand I think it’s perfect as is.

4 Likes

It’s not (that I can recall), and I would support it.

I would also like it to be applicable to audio outputs (currently, the basic oscilloscope is only able to visualize CV).

1 Like

Very curious about how it works with ZOIA integration. Keep the updates coming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those wood builds are lush.

I’m suprised they didn’t go with those mini midi jack like on the Zoia…

1 Like

It’s not (that I can recall), and I would support it.

I would also like it to be applicable to audio outputs (currently, the basic oscilloscope is only able to visualize CV).

I just posted it to the voting forum here. (Link probably won’t be accessible to non-Zoia owners, FYI for anyone wondering)

1 Like

I’m suprised they didn’t go with those mini midi jack like on the Zoia…

They did: “sixteen CCs over minijack midi (with switch to swap between standards)”. You’d just plug in a stereo 3.5mm cord between the Zoia and the 16n.

5 Likes