Empress Zoia // Euroburo

Autocorrect, my love…

I have my ZOIA with reverb and delay pedals in a ‘loop’ so that I can run it either before or after the outboard effects.

2 Likes

A few of us on the Facebook page have been attempting to do this. Similar results to what you’re experiencing. Still pecking at this one.

1 Like

I made a fair amount of progress recently (and forgot to tell you directly, sorry!) But I did use it in a few recent patches and wrote about it on Tips and Tricks… check the entry for loopers. I gave it, perhaps, a poor title “Improved looper triggering from audio (dynamic loop record)” It could be tweaked for specific use cases, but I’ve been generally pleased with the results (You can hear it/try it out on LoopDelayErVerb and Moody Afternoon–Willem’s also used it in a few patches):

9 Likes

Can it replace the Echosystem pedal?

i have them both and the answer is no, maybe, eventually - I guess, as i haven’t gone into deep depth with the zoia and its delay engine. i reckon with a lot of work you’d be able to mimic some modes of the echosystem for sure.I kept the echo for the shoddy beta looper alone just because there’s no real loop length limitation (subject to the card you’re using). if i had to ditch one of them it would be certainly the echo though

2 Likes

finally got to read through this and glad to see that my initial hunch to use comparator wasn’t fully off - great to see it broken down and will revisit my efforts. thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you! Just got my Zoia and have been checking out your awesome patches.

1 Like

9/10 (maybe 99/100?) the answer involves at least one of: comparator, multiplier, or switch. Never doubt your hunch when your hunch says comparator, because chances are good, it will be in the mix somewhere! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i wish we had a one shot lfo - but thats what the comparator is doing (square wave one shot)… someone suggested a counting module that could also come in handy.
i ended up with CV flip flop and some too narrow sweet spot on the on set detector… but now I’m just waffling
still stoked by this device!

I figured a one-shot LFO could be done, so I did it, then wrote about it. Not the most straight-forward design, but not the most complicated one, either. Check the Tips & Tricks under LFO or multiplier.

A one-shot module or option on the LFO module might be nice, but it’s pretty low priority for me if it can be achieved by other means.

3 Likes

Sorry, original diagram had an error. Now revised.

1 Like

oh snap this is way clever! looks lean and I will happily take this little detour. Very generous of you to share/illustrate. i now understand the comparator better
… cheers !

2 Likes

I meant for the dual delays mainly…

well you can certainly create dual delays with the zoia (or triple or quintuple or whatever really). some might sound like the echosystem too.
what I like about the echo, is the interface though. which you won’t achieve with the zoia as slick as the echo has it. the zoia has only one knob and swapping delays, switching between serial and parallel etc will always require repatching or some real clever placement of switch nodes on the zoia - so the user experience will be completely different

Edit: bottom line is that you won’t get to interchange all the possible variations and combinations of delay engines. Each combo will require its own patch - more or less. And tweaking won’t be as much fun without external controller

Let me just rephrase that :
Are the Zoia’s delay algorithms as good as the same ones from Echosystem?
Thanks!

I think I should be able to build in it dual delays… just don’t know how good they would sound…

No but that doesn’t mean it can’t be.

If I understand it correctly all the pieces are there to get the Echosystem (or Reverb) they just haven’t been put together. You would have to do that yourself.

Again if I understand it corrrectly the “effects” section of the zoia are basic, premade patches allowing people to access standard reverb delay etc.

I remember @empress_effects once stating that if they loaded the patches from the Reverb unit you wouldn’t be able to do anything else on the Zoia. And thats not the point of the Zoia.

But bottom line the delays provided in the Zoia are excellent. This is Empress we’re talking about. If it’s straight delay you want get the Echosystem. If you want to get weird and customizable get the Zoia.

2 Likes

This video (at 3:22) walks you through building a dual delay with pitch shifting on the Zoia, FWIW.

Based on what I’ve heard so far (just unboxed mine yesterday) the Zoia delays sound really good.

But if you need a delay pedal, just get a delay pedal. Being able to tweak delay time, feedback, etc. by simply reaching for the appropriate knobs is a much faster workflow.

3 Likes