Empress Zoia // Euroburo

I used to own a Doepfer Dark Energy (mk1) and currently own a Zoia, so I can try to answer. It’s pretty hard to compare the two as synths. The possibilities of the Zoia are much more vast and endless compared to the DE, which is semi-modular and which contains some pretty barebones modular building blocks when you come down to it. You can recreate the DE signal path and control interface and have a “Dark Energy clone” patch if you want to (actually a good exercise, if anyone wants to rise to it, schematics are here), but it would sound nothing alike due to the discrete circuitry used in the DE and its various quirks. I’m fond of the Dark Energy’s analog-to-the-core, unpredictably messy waveforms, its grit and character, and its musically lovely, squelchy filter. I’ve gotten serious low end, speaker thuddering bass out of it too. Also this absolutely ace feature you don’t see in many other synths: “LM: linear FM (frequency modulation) control to modulate the VCF by the triangle of the VCO in a linear (!) manner”

I don’t think the Zoia is capable of sounding as good if you’re specifically after an uncompromising analog sound, and that should be expected. But I personally would have no reservations making that tradeoff, because the Zoia still sounds PRETTY DAMN GREAT in its own right, has its own character and sound worth exploring, and the Dark Energy can’t do looping, granular, polyphony, advanced logic, complex sequencing (you’d have to buy the Dark Time for that, which is basic compared to the sequencing capabilities of the Zoia), a pedalboard worth of effects you wouldn’t flinch at, controlled or untamed randomness at any point you like, tons of utilities even an owner of a big Eurorack system would be impressed by, etc. In the end it’s no competition in terms of depth, but it depends entirely on whether you value depth or a specific sound quality more.

(Edit: actually, ideally you keep both, and use the CV and MIDI ports to have an analog/digital hybrid beast)

2 Likes

Can’t really say if you should lose those two pieces, certainly the Zoia can do some subset of what those two can, and a whole lot more besides - but of course there would be compromises in things like user interface and exact sound.

However the Zoia can do some really crazy and highly personalised stuff, for example you could set up a reverb, delay or whatever and also have the input signal send a midi message to an external device depending on the threshold or pitch of the input, obviously that was just a simple example but bear in mind that it takes a little time both to learn how (and to learn what you want) to do.

4 Likes

Thank you both for the fast replies. I get what you mean and I just love the simplicity of the DE. The sound of it is next to something physical. So I don’t expect the ZOIA to replace that at all.

I also own a Digitone as my main go to synth and this thing can also sound like a analog beast. So maybe it’s time for a goodbye :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d been after a Bastl Thyme for aaages. Got one last week and was suddenly struck by the fact that the Zoia was the same price, and could cover waay more ground whilst allowing me to downsize a bunch of gear, making it really cost effective too. I was put off by the looks of Zoia, and concerned about sound quality, but decided to try it.

It seems good enough thus far, and it’s definitely a fun box. Thyme is getting returned (despite being great, it’s not £480 worth of great) and Zoia seems to be here to stay. And a bulky pedalpoard may well be heading onto ebay.

Just a note of caution - when uploading patches you’ve downloaded, be careful to ensure no zip files have snuck in there, or files titled for other pedals… I accidentally bricked my Zoia that way! But a quick phonecall to the Empress support line sorted it out - a super helpful guy called Adam emailed a new firmware file straight over and it worked like a dream to get it up and running again. Brilliant customer service.

1 Like

The Thyme is a tool with dedicated controllers and yes, it has some shift functions as well.
That is what makes the Thyme and nearly every other effect pedal so superior over the Zoia.
OK, I get it the Zoia is loaded with functionality but what is that worth if it is difficult to access.

I would love to see the Zoia having a simple control scheme via external controlers
Like having a Novation Launch control and setting up those two rows of controllers with midi cc and just press the function in the zoia and have the Launch control control its first 8 values…

I do not like the thought of having to press a button on the zoia and then alter the value with one wheel, meanwhile another paramter waits to be controlled but first I have to find and press another button to access its value… That is so 1985 and Ensoniq Mirage - for example - :slight_smile:
It is like looking through a keyhole to see a room full of nice candy behind an iron door…
Too much effort to get to it…

With “cc in” module you can control any controllable block of any module if I’m not mistaking ? You could make a default project with all these cc in modules already setup for your controller and build from there no ? I have not sepnt enough time with mine and absolutely not explored the midi control option but since it has midi cc in modules I can’t see why this should not be possible ?

or maybe I did not understand what you were talking about…Equally probable… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank for your reply.
I did find only basic midi info in the manual…
In theory this could work but not for the patches that are already available… That would require a lot of work and did I mention that I am lazy as …
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the end every single thing ends like this : You control it with the octatrack ! :smiley:

11 Likes

and thus why I keep being tempted by this sucker :smiley:

So much love for the ZOIA right now.

Has anyone tried making synth drum voices with it yet? I want to add some rhythmic parts to my tunes and think that the ZOIA is a pretty nifty way to do it… I’ve been listening to a lot of Thom Yorke this week :joy:

1 Like

This is my workflow, which is why I am pushing very hard to get the copy page between preset functionality .

1 Like

This is hot on our list of things to do. Mostly cause we mentioned supermodules when we first announced and ZOIA still doesn’t have them. Being able to copy pages (and ranges of pages) between patches seems like a good compromise.

15 Likes

My only complaint with the Zoia is that my life is seriously getting in the way of my ability to continue exploring it the way it deserves to be explored :drunk:

By that I mean. I haven’t had time to make drums yet. But it certainly can. I’m sure there are lots of awesome and deep ways to make drums in the zoia. You have FM, the granular module, sequences for parameters and notes, LFO’s and envelopes that can be routed to anything, just for starters. I guess I need to find some time to make some Zoia drums…

I will say it won’t be as quick or intuitive as a dedicated drum machine or the Elektron sequencer, but there are lots goods onboard for percussion if you’re willing to put the time in. I’ll report back with my findings after I’ve had a chance to dig into some Zoia drums :thup:

2 Likes

I messed with pinging a filter to make drums, very easy for bd, toms, congas etc, add noise for snares etc. For hihats and cymbals just use 3-6 square waves at enharmonic frequencies eg 500, 625, 740, 800, 1000, 1200hz then hi pass filter to remove most of the bottom end, then an envelope to shape the filter cutoff so that after the strike the cutoff rises as the amplitude decays.

As usual I’d recommend the SOS drum synthesis tutorials found here (plus a ton of others)
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesis/synthesis-sound-design

7 Likes

delicious!

and after that mayhem this lovely piece

2 Likes

(Reformatted but i think you er get the picture)

The Zoia is an absolute joy to use. Children playing in a pool, birds, planes overhead all become worlds of sound with it.

I personally found my way around the interface smooth like buttah with few hiccups (and after a rtfm or two quickly back on track). I was making and editing my own patches in no time. The buttons feel great. Lights dont show up well in the sun - and for my purposes this is a bit disappointing - but I recognize very few devices (if any) do this well. Im not very familiar with pedal build but it seems robust. Interconnects go in solidly. I fear for the butt of the sd card tho. Its got a stunning look and as. eported smaller than thought.

I am not an expert on quality of fx but to me the provided algorithms sound great (and kudos to empress for providing them). I have yet to really dig in to them standalone…and I’m not sure i ever will tbh. Its not a reverb or delay pedal. Its a Zoia. “Sum of parts” has never been more appropriate.

Very little to complain about provided modules. If i think hard enough (wavefolder) I feel a bit greedy honestly. There’s so much provided. I hope empress shows it love for a long time tho.

Bottom line: the depth of this pedal is unfathomable plus it’s inspiring and easy to execute ideas. A masterpiece of gear.

15 Likes

Jump on it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

so how would one go about creating a threshold based looper (punch in)?
I am using an onset detector to trigger the loop IN, but it detects another signal just a sample later and the looper now switches instantly off again so that I’m getting a loop that is only one sample long.
I mindlessly noodled around with the comparator module and different detection thresholds but to no extend and feel rather clueless … how can i use the onset detection just once. long envelopes?

anyone?

Sadly im not at it right now but my off hand guess would be to use some control module after the onset detector to latch to value 1?

1 Like

Same - especially since there are so many interesting ways to build your own wavefolder from existing modules! What a great learning opportunity. :slight_smile:

1 Like