Empress Zoia // Euroburo

OK.
So I have been following this thread from the very beginning my biggest question is this (from users here not reviewers on youtube) … on a scale of 1-10 how does the reverb stack up? Compared to their dedicated reverb pedal. I have a Strymon timeline and have been on the fence on purchasing the Zoia its an amazing piece from what I can tell, I have been looking at Seymour Duncan Darksun, empress reverb, the boss RV 500 or the GFI specular tempus (really like this one). I have gone to a very minimal setup and reverb quality is high on the list if I am going to add a new piece.
Thanks!

@LyingDalai? He also also have the Empress Reverb, told me he was thinking about selling his Space (Eventide), but I bet reverb algorithms are not the best on the Zoia, logically.

Can it do my laundry?

Yup, that’s my feeling too, that reverb may not be the “best”.
thanks !

Audio / midi laundry only.

1 Like

I have a Zoia, a Reverb, and a Timeline. The reverbs on the Zoia are good, and most likely share some dna with the standalone machine, but they certainly do not replace the depth of verbs on the Reverb. However you can do a lot of cool and interesting tricks with Zoia patches that really push what a reverb is, so I think it really comes down to how much do you want to tweak and build stuff, versus how much do you just want incredible reverb straight out of the box.

3 Likes

Why did I not do this a year ago?!? I might have to make a 2 Zoia + Reverb couch setup. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

I am not much of a tweaker(please no jokes) but I can see myself programming patches with the Zoia. I was considering the 1010music blackbox as a separate purchase, but since that is off my radar maybe a Zoia and the GFI Specular Tempus or is it Tempus Specular? I can never get it right :grin:
or the Zoom 70cdr ( an underrated box IMHO) save a few bucks and as I am recalling now that I write this was scarily close to some of the Strymon presets.
Ok so Zoia maybe back in again with a dedicated reverb pedal to supplement.
Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

I’m having a zoom cdr renaissance since I discovered the github tool for it. Great for noodling out odd effects.

1 Like

looking into it now thanks !

I really like the reverb, i would give IT … Hmmm … 8.5? I have 2 reverbs in pedals that are not to good - one in a multifx pedalboard boss GT 100 - you can t really compare to it, Boss reverb is ok to use it in a guitar, haven’t really tried with anything else- and a Mooer ocean Machine - which I really like it as a creative pedal, but the reverb is not very clean.

My vst fav out reverb is the eventide space but the one in Zoia seems even less… grainy? One of the things that I like more in a reverb is the ability to have a clean sound and, to my ears the zoia is second to none - at least the ones that I have tried. I also like that when you use the time to the max you get some kind of really nice resonance that sounds really good and natural.

I only give it 8.5 - and not 10 - because i did not an exhaustive test, I did not do A-B testing, nor an exhaustive comparison, I just listen to it and tried to be as impartial as possible. It is indeed an amazing clean and natural reverb that then you can add all of the modulation caos that you want. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very intrigued by this now after successfully resisting for a bit…

Question: would I be able to build a 4-5 track looper that allows for independent track length but has them quantized/ synced on quarter (any) notes ?

1 Like

Absolutely :cool:

1 Like

Oh no! :loopy:

Thanks! How is the quantized handled? From what i gather there is a quantized cv module - but that’s only for note pitch? ( how I understand it)

Nice… It definitely doesn’t have to be the “best” reverb but I was a little wary of purchasing if it were an “afterthought” as the primary function is its creative programming power. Reviews on Youtube sounded good but I prefer getting opinions for actual users.
Thanks!

Regarding the algos not being ‘the best’… The guys at Empress are working on updates for ZOIA constantly; if something is a bit out of whack or they can make it better, I’m getting the impression that they can and will.

I used an external reverb pedal (SA Ventris) because I want to use the ZOIA’s power for looping/granular effects. If I had to have a single pedal for a gig, though, I’d be quite happy to take ZOIA out for a ride.

4 Likes

There’s a clock divider which you could use to pass quantised triggers at a gate (I think). My understanding of some aspects of synth logic isn’t super hot, but if you can suss out a basic ‘IF’ statement or some boolean functions on paper, you should be able to string some modules together to make it do what you want. There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat with this box.

1 Like

I don’t own a zoia but usually time quantization is achieved with a sample&hold.

beauty day eh’ ? =)
thanks, on further thought I figured it could work like this… wonder if onset events (incoming audio) can trigger record but still can be quantized on top of it?
I’m thinking of a threshold based loop punch-in and a stompswitch or midi based based punch-out, ideally all within some quantized boundaries …
one more: the 16sec loop limit is per looper module or do multiple looper modules share a total of 16sec?
are looper modules heavy on the CPU? I’d like to cascade some…
cheers

Per looper: I’ve got a patch set up with four separate loopers each running 16s. Since v1.30, they don’t seem to be massively CPU intensive… maybe topping out at 25%/30% when I’ve got full loopage going on!

3 Likes