Empress Zoia // Euroburo

Have had my Zoia only briefly - but setting it sending midi pc and assigning my expression pedal routing per patch will be really useful to me! Had a brief test only with reverbs and at least it will be usable on my band setup. Have to try to build a kickass bass crunch/fuzz patch.

Hopefully they implement a Disting 4 level of modules - then weā€™re cookinā€™

3 Likes

I just spent some time with the granular module, it is really super flexible and adding all kinds of nice new sounds to the Zoia. Or at least itā€™s making some sounds much easier to achieve hahaā€¦

So. Can someone help me out here? I donā€™t know anything about granular synthesis. I get that itā€™s grabbing snippets of the signal and playing them back, I understand I can change the pitch and freeze the recording, but Iā€™m wondering if someone could elaborate on what the controls are actually doing. I found lots of lovely sounds, but Iā€™m a little lost on the how and why. School me please nauts :ecstatic:

3 Likes

Pulled the trigger on Zoia!
OT, AK and OP-1 cant wait to hear, what the new cue out will sound like :wink:
Hope i can handle the interface - no modular knowledge, but learned OT pretty quickly and i love out-of-the-box machines :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah! Youā€™ll love it. The interface is super easy to use and build your own workflow around.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t had enough time with it but when I do, itā€™s wonderful.

Itā€™s more than effects. Itā€™s an instrument and a controller as well. Itā€™s a tool that you can turn it into whatever you need. You will not be disappointed.

4 Likes

Is it possible to send midi notes or CCs with the sequencer module? With lfos?

Yup! It can do hella much, I have not dug deep yet but can easily do this kind of thing.

2 Likes

Uh oh. Look whos joined the party.

Thinking of sequencing it and the AR to give the AR a nice digital coat.

1 Like

Great with OT and A4 with their stereo audio ins and midi/cv out
Havenā€™t tried AR yet

1 Like

I wonder if the loopers and other modules can be set up to do what the Montreal Assembly Count To 5 doesā€¦ if so that would make it really tempting.

1 Like

Has anyone done a reverb freeze program ?

Ah so tonight I was like ā€œwhere are those sick sounds hidden in this box? And where is the flanger feedback btw? Oh I wonder if I actually create a loopbackā€¦ of course it works !!ā€

ā‡’ welcome to level 2 !

1 Like

Ill finally be with mine in less than a week!

So now youve all had some time with it what are some tips on getting started?

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve been doing a bunch of work building distortions around feedback loops and itā€™s been wonderful.

2 Likes

My suggestion is to have a dual mono to female stereo cable so that you can plug headphones and bring it on the couch.
OT is also nice to use with it as you can set up a send/return loop with the Z.

Otherwise I pair it with the Empress Reverb, that adds many benefits:

• you donā€™t overload ZOIA patches with reverbs
  • adds many buttons for live tweaking
  • among them is a volume knob !

I still have to use a stereo mini jack to send MIDI from ZOIA to the Reverbā€¦ I guess such cable might need some tweaking, but maybe not ! Got to check this.

3 Likes

There are a few Ct5-alike patches on PatchStorageā€¦!

2 Likes

Still not had much time to dig deep on mine, but man the possibilities are pretty head spinning, for anyone tempted to ask can it do ā€œinsert thing hereā€ it probably almost certainly can.

Where it gets interesting for me is the way that midi, audio and cv are able to interact in just about as transparent a way as seems possible.

I have not fully grasped advanced patch construction and handling yet, most of my experiments have been single page proof of concept type dabblings, Iā€™m thinking that building up a vocabulary and working out how best to build things is going to serve me well later, so Iā€™m mostly just trying stuff out on a piecemeal basis, whilst observing CPU requirements and thinking about how to construct more ambitious things both from a layout and usability point of view.

6 Likes

Iā€™m selling this for itā€¦

2 Likes

Ill be on vaca so Im considering whether to start from a blank grid or dl a bunch of choice patches to have some fun at first. I think ill do the latter as I wonā€™t have much mind to get into the weeds.