Empress Zoia // Euroburo

This thing is amazing. Probably the most innovative pedal in a while.

Definitely on my list!

2 Likes

Itā€™s fantastic. It can be anything I want it to be and so much more. Itā€™s definitely one of the best things Iā€™ve ever bought.

4 Likes

Itā€™s amazing. Changing up my whole workflow. I donā€™t need to problem solve ā€œwhich of my gear or software can do this specific thing? How do I do it?ā€ and instead just build the exact custom thing I want within, like, a 30 minute session with the Zoia. Most importantly, Zoia is neither intimidating nor a drag to use. I want to spend as much time as possible with it. Itā€™s addictive.

Working on selling or trading away my Organelle.

BTW, Bitwigā€™s new ā€œGridā€ in 3.0 beta is also amazing, if you canā€™t afford a Zoia and youā€™re okay with sitting at a computer, I would wager that could be the next best thing. It includes an FX Grid for building your own modular effects. Personally, Iā€™m planning on using both Zoia and Bitwig 3.0 in combination (still need to explore Zoiaā€™s MIDI capabilities, but the CV port works wonderfully to interface with Bitwigā€™s ā€œCV Inā€ and ā€œCV Outā€ modules, via my DC-coupled audio interface). You could make entire albums from scratch with this pairing! Or, yā€™know, just with either of them by themselves, too. Iā€™m keen to hear the first ā€œZoia onlyā€ album someone comes up with, actually.

(To be honest, considering a new Bitwig license costs $399 USD and thatā€™s the exact price I paid for a Zoia via a sale deal, Iā€™d say youā€™re getting a hell of a lot of hardware for roughly the same price as a DAW)

4 Likes

Can you send envelopes and LFOs to midi CCs?

Just got mine 2 days ago. Been using it with digitone and octatrack. Oh my, this is an awesome setup!
The zoia adds so much to my sound. Iā€™ve only been using its for effects so far. Luckily I have no plans this weekend so plenty of time to explore.

Is that sale still going on? I want one :slight_smile:

Yes

1 Like

Memorial Day sale coming up at Prymaxe.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve not really had (or made) a vast amount of time to play with it properly, TBH. However, from the small experiments Iā€™ve done and sounds that I am aware it can make has pretty much filled any gear-gap for the rest of the year.

Wanted a Moog? Basically got one. Want a super-flexible multi-tap delay? Got one. Want some super-weird sub-sine reverbā€™d phaser drone? Got one! The only thing holding me back right now is my lack of understanding on how some of the logic stuff works; Iā€™ve picked apart a few of the generative synth patches to see how the random notes/gates work and sort of get it (but not really).

Whatever the weather, I canā€™t see me buying any more gear this year because I want to dig into this one deep. Combined with a Keystep and my current ambient-ish pedalboard for guitar, Iā€™ve got everything I need to be Hotel Neon as a one-person band!

9 Likes

Letā€™s hope itā€™s on direct sale, says under sale exclusions section Empress is ineligible for discounts :frowning:

@Waves the Pink Floyd On the Run demo patch he did sounded excellent!

1 Like

My wallet breathes a sigh of relief.

Already preordered the hardware Nanoloop and VFE Klein Bottle. Zoia and Wing Pinger are both pulling at the wallet.

Not going to make much progress in building my rainy day fund this year.

1 Like

Prymaxe has been inconsistent - I got lucky in getting the discount, others did too, others werenā€™t able to. I saw people (on the Zoia FB page) reporting getting the discount even a week or two ago. Itā€™s worth trying, anyway.

1 Like

Thanks guys you donā€™t do resisting this device any easier!

Do you actually mess around with the modular patching or save something and then use the ready-made patches?

Iā€™ve cleared the decks on mine and am starting from scratch. Some of the patches on the Zoia out of the box are amazing, but I donā€™t really want to use presets for my own work. Iā€™m a ground-up kind of a guy!

2 Likes

Only quickly scrolled through the presets the fist time i booted up. Some of them sound pretty good, but for me zoia is all about designing my own sounds.

This. Running OT cue output into this super tempting ā€¦

3 Likes

https://reverb.com/item/23647940-empress-effects-zoia-multi-effects?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share <- Someone better grab this demo unit Zoia for $390ā€¦

1 Like

I saw it last night. Sent them a message to see about overall quality of it. No response yet :frowning:

The built in patches are good, but I bought this to make my own. So far I have made to keep, a stereo clone of Shallow Water, a sample rate reducer & bitcrusher (think Ottobit jr.) & a midi sequencer with modulation cc out for my Dreadbox Nyx. I want to make something like Mutable Instruments Clouds next, if possible, not sure yet how Iā€™m going to do this, but hopefully I can get something similar :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would have to get my hands on one to try out. Still- as a pedal and synth junkie, I play guitar and synths it would be loads of fun. Right now I sample my guitar tracks to my OT and remix.