Empress Zoia // Euroburo

@chm_jacques @xidnpnlss

These two pair like an absolute dream:

It worked right away. Simple 3.5mm stereo cable from one to the other (no need for MIDI breakout cables). I set up 16 MIDI CC In modules (copy-paste job), set them up to MIDI channel 1 and Controllers 32-47, routed them to a bunch of parameters for granular, reverb, oscillator frequency, LFO rates, etc. Realized I needed to take a look at attenuation and CV range for a few of those to make the fader throw have some meaningful effect. After that all good.

Having 16 totally assignable (even multi-assignable) faders all at once for the Zoia is a complete trip. Sweeping a whole bunch of granular and reverb characteristics in a single hand gesture has such a drastic effect on the sound, it’s a bit of a mindfuck. (The lo-fi digital grease of the granular module is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.) Now I can’t imagine playing around with Zoia any other way, it completely transforms the instrument for me. Highly rec’d!

14 Likes

That sounds so nice that I just placed an order for one :smile:

1 Like

What’s the other device there?

Worth mentioning: the MIDI CC In module on the Zoia allows you to set up each fader for unipolar or bipolar use, so you can go into negative voltage territory easily if you want. And you can dial in the attenuation (CV strength) per patch routing from 0-400%. Amazing flexibility, Eurorack users be very jealous

67393203_10111354569059400_8697865342032019456_n 67633727_10111354568161200_8342075916293242880_n

5 Likes

16n Faderbank, a CV/MIDI/I2C controller. Open source DIY project, a few builders offer them for sale.

I’ve seen a lot of people pair the two, if you look around IG, YouTube, etc.

Purrtee

Right? forum request to modulate the attenuation. Cause why not (empress will come to regret that forum :wink: ).

Sorry if asked already… did anybody try the cabinet sim with guitar? How does it sound?

they’re surprisingly nice. I’m no amp Connaisseur by any means though. just pleasantly surprised that i can hook up my guitar and some cheap portable consumer speakers and jam in the garden (if I had one). sounds good to my ears

1 Like

nice, thanks :slight_smile:

I’m curious about what you can do with the audio contained in a looper :

• can you modulate start/end points ?
  • could you slice and sequence slices ?
  • can you change the playing speed ?

Does the ZOIA have an Sampler Module?
Haven’t thought about that but saw Cuckoo’s Demo at Superbooth and he’s sampling his voice in this demo.
Can anyone tell me how long your recorded samples can be?

Yes.
Not an integrated option. But with some clever patching, yes.
Only pitch. Edit: maybe speed with some very clever patching?

@OPZtacle

Just a looper (for now. Loading saving samples is a popular request. They put in a sample player and youll have the best groovebox on the market imo)
16s for each looper.

2 Likes

Thanks.
Pitch and Speed are the same, aren’t they ?

Yeah technically. I interpreted speed as “time stretching”.

Thx for you response!

Maybe I don’t understand the difference between a sampler and a looper module but for me it looks clearly like Cuckoo’s sampling/recording (in this case his voice via mic) and playing back slices of it.

I havent parsed the details of his patch but he probably setup a patch before hand to play slices of what he looped.

The difference is semantics. They both record the incoming signal. Keep in mind this is marketed as a pedal and guitar players understand “looper”.

3 Likes

okay, thx.

You have any information if empress is thinking about adding “traditional” sampling functions?

It’s a popular request for sure. I don’t know of their plans for adding one. But theyre pretty good about responding to popular requests.

2 Likes

I’m fine with no timestretch, thanks !