EMOM: minimal viable set up

I want to challenge myself to play live. I watched Live w/Digitakt & Pisound, w/Video Visuals and googled for electronic open mics, and found that there used to be one in York (not that far from where I live in Yorkshire.)

Seems like a good challenge to build a short 10minute 2-3track set and aim to be ready for when (if?!) they start up again.

I have an AR and A4 and two nascent tracks that will take a lot of work. In terms of kit though, that’s enough right? I just route the audio from the AR into the A4 and the audio from the A4 into the PA and I’m done? Or do you reckon some other essential (a small mixer?) is required?

Thanks in advance for advice from those who’ve played live (something I respect enormously!)
Russell

1 Like

I think you need an Erica Synths DB01 to really succeed.

9 Likes

Yes.

Or the Analog Four into the AR, depending on your preference and taste.

2 Likes

Either one of them alone would be enough for an hour long set with some programming.

I think you need to send your DB01 to me so we’re done with the spamming.

1 Like

I know you’re right (pretty sure people have filled concert halls with nowt but a voice or violin), but for a middle aged no talent hack on his first outing with this gear (and trying to learn/build confidence whilst working 40 hr weeks and raising a family) I’m content with a goal of using both for a short set.

And I’m relieved to hear that I don’t need an Octatrack now (though I do need a DB01.)

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you in a lot of ways. I had my first EMOM booked for 3 days after the first lockdown started. Hopeful I can get involved should it start up again soon.

I think for something like an EMOM, I’d be tempted to just use one box, kinda like the electronic answer to one man and a guitar, but not shit.

3 Likes

That’s the real trick, I think.

I dunno, I think the whole joy of an open mic is that it doesn’t matter too much if its shit. It’s not like anyone’s paying to see you play.
Best just to see it as a public bit of practice.

1 Like

Not an expert on open mic nights, but I think something to take into consideration is ease of setting up. I think you’ll be happy to only plug one or two machines when it comes time to setup quickly because it takes time on your slot.

3 Likes

Yeah I have a mate who took a whole 19” rack of gear, some other gear, and a laptop to an EMOM and as well as being a total pain in the arse to get from the car something also went wrong with his MIDI while trying to get it set up, so he actually ended up improvising with his laptop and a Behringer Ms-101. It wasn’t a bad set, but he got pretty stressed. Keeping it simple is gonna be better.

1 Like

I hope this thread soon becomes more relevant for all of us.

I’ve been digging in the archives for threads about minimal setups or shrinking one’s setup down to the absolute essentials, but haven’t found one. Should I start a new thread on that topic? It’s something I’ve been turning over in my mind lately.

1 Like

my only concern about A4 and AR as live machines is that they are too big as for my taste, especially current Mk2 versions.

otherwise this is absolutely great combo for performing live in many genres.

i would rather use them with a small mixer if performed live with them, but YMMV.

If push came to shove, I’d do all right with just the Blackbox.

But I’d push pretty hard back before I’d give in to that shove.

1 Like

Ha - tell me about it!

1 Like

Too big to carry to a venue and put on a table? I think I can manage. I’m 183cm and 78KG. I have a bag.

78kg?

I’ve had bigger shits.

2 Likes

As a first for me, I did a couple of live techno sets of approx 45 minutes last year, for a couple of friends.

It was a lot of fun. Definitely my take-away was that every additional synth, machine or sequencing track besides the bare minimum will exponentially fry your brain. Two boxes should be perfect.

Last set I did was just on the Rytm alone. It’s a bit more work to make pre-Made tracks work together transition-wise. So for longer sets I prefer having my OT to transition-loop. But for shorter sets of a couple of songs, one or two boxes, perfect! And then you can’t really get it better than A4+Rytm combo, in my opinion:)

2 Likes

My advice.
Do more with less.

If you can work without a mixer, dont take one. The venue has one anyway.

Take spare cables! And a roll of gaffa tape.

Keep your set simple, the more complicated it gets, the more you’ll fuck it up on the night.

No one at the gig has heard you play before. Exploit this. You’ll be surprised how much you can get away with.

Tweaking and muting/unmuting sounds while your pattern plays: make small changes very slowly. Be deliberate. Make a small but relevant change, then give the crowd time to soak it up. 30 seconds to you is 5 minutes to them.

Most important bit- enjoy it! If you’re on stage having a good time, the crowd will dig it. Basically doesnt matter what you sound like.

12 Likes

No one at the gig has heard you play before. Exploit this. You’ll be surprised how much you can get away with.

Ha! I was just casually browsing the forum and this portion of your post caught my eye. Could you possibly expand upon what you mean by this? Not sure if you are suggesting some kind of sonic sneak attack or what, but I’m intrigued.

1 Like