Elk-Herd 3.1 beta for Digitakt OS 1.40

:heart:

Yeah I agree that it would be super useful. Have you started working in one project yet ? Really makes “live” a lot easier :wink: just create everything in one project. Save copies as you go so you can always go back and grab some earlier version of a pattern or kit if you mess up.

2 Likes

Well, I did it, bought a second Digitakt, only to have the two versions (with and without Elk-Herd). :slight_smile: Not at all to put pressure at mzero (hero), but for the love of his work. I would rather pay for Elk-herd, but hey, here we are now… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I, too, have a second digitakt I cannot bring myself to get rid of until the elks get reherded.

1 Like

still hoping for an update or open-source…

it’s crazy but i literally am stuck in working with the digitakt as i am preparing a new live set because i would need elk-herd for it to finish, clean it up…

what if elektron just doesn’t know about it?
they should just buy it and provide it for us as official tool

8 Likes

I have to say that i really love my Elektron devices, they are really solid pieces of gear BUT.
Preparing for a liveset on the A4mk1 + I find that I miss Elkherd so much (I´m on 1.50).
I couldn´t care less about fancy specs on updates, but it would be super time saving if Elektron updated Transfer with the capability to, well, transfer patterns between projects.
I have literally wasted a whole day fetching patterns on the two machines and pasting them in a new project one at a time. Am I doing something wrong?

2 Likes

as far as I know sysex for patterns is the only method for now

1 Like

So bottom line, it remains a mystery why Elektron doesn’t create a tool like this or get mzero some kind of deal. Probably the most important non existent feature at the moment.

7 Likes

Yes, I agree. I really like how Transfer has grown these recent years, but it would really become a monster if we could drag and drop patterns, kits, sounds, tracks, hell, even performance macros from project to project.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about it, but I only want the very best tunes to end up in the live set, so the majority of things I compose in that project would be removed. Do you always just jam around in one particular project in case it’ll fit a live performance?

1 Like

I just work within one project and save copies as I go (every time I sit down to edit or crreate new stuff I save as a new version (+version number like V1.012). Once at the stage to gather the best bits I save another copy of the project and simply remove the stuff I’m not going to use.

2 Likes

That’s where I am doing it wrong, I guess. DT is all about resampling for me, but way of using it always takes up a lot of space, creating new samples, and each project gets too crowded. Maybe I should think about it as a drum machine with shorter samples, and stick to one project.

1 Like

Yeah kind of. It’s a balancing act. I do have quite a few longer samples (also for sample chains for example), but I try to maximize the 64MB and 127 sample slots. I tend to re-use a lot of percussive stuff and use DT’s tools to make them sound completely different. One hihat can sound like 1000 different hihats that way.

Also: Settings -> samples -> LEFT arrow -> view RAM -> RIGHT arrow -> Select unused -> Unload

:wink:

5 Likes

Just to double check Elk Herd doesn’t work at all with OS 1.50 ?

… and is it easy to downgrade to 1.40? I’m considering getting a Digitakt again and would rather downgrade just to use Elk herd until it’s compatible with 1.50!

Does this work the same as elkherd, for instance samples using samp slot change LFO will maybe be removed?

If your latest saves are with 1.50 using latest features such as the new machines then they will not be compatible, If i’m wrong somebody chime in :slight_smile: I’d downgrade right away if this was the case.

Afaik lfo modulation is not accounted for. Not 100% sure though. Easy to try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it easy to downgrade? I don’t have a Digitakt yet (had one before though) so can’t test it yet!

I’ve sent out a feature request with the first request being a sample + pattern management software (or implementation into transfer) alike ElkHerd.
Consider also asking Elektron for it, the more the better: feature-request@elektron.se

@mzero just can’t seem to find the time updating ElkHerd I reckon.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s just a matter of finding the time, Elektron changed a lot in how the DT data is structured in 1.4 and 1.5, I wouldn’t want to revisit all that reverse engineering work again either if this was my (free) project!

2 Likes