Elk-Herd 3.0

Just as an FYI (I was curious myself), elk-herd seems to work just fine for OS version 1.21, at least as far as the things I’ve tested (sample send and get, moving samples around and renaming, project fetch and send).

Cheers on this fantastic tool.

1 Like

As a FYI, for those allergic to chrome and google, Brave works fine with Elk-Herd 3.0 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love your program to organice my Digitakt, I realised that is not working properly with the last 1.30 OS. When an upgrade?, pleaaase!!!

Thank you!!

I have several reports that elk-herd doesn’t work with the 1.30 firmware.

I will try to look into this… but probably won’t be able to make any progress on it until next week. For now, I don’t need any more reports.

I’m just as eager as you are all to use 1.30, and keep my elk-herd work flow going! This is almost certainly a simple addition to the code to support the new OS - and your existing projects downloaded with elk-herd will certainly still upload again.

Thanks for your patience.

Peace,
— Mark

24 Likes

Remember to support mzero too , buy him a virtual beer or synth, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind either.

Links are on this thread probably.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to an Elk Herd version supporting DT 1.30, as I cannot use transfer 1.4 with my (seriously) old MacBook Pro (too old an iOS)!
Cheers!

DT 1.30 and Brave browser here: all good :slight_smile:

Really? Project management / pattern fetching also?

Wow, so Elk Herd is working with DT 1.30 just as before when using brave browser?

Yep, so far so good, Mac OS X Sierra.
Moving samples from one folder to another, fetching projects…
I suppose I have not used Elk-Herd to its full potential but it works for me :slight_smile:

I’d be a little stunned if you have elk-herd loading projects from a 1.30 Digitakt. Samples will work fine - because the API for Samples didn’t change. But the project data format is different, and elk-herd should refuse to load it as the current version doesn’t know how to read it.

1 Like

What I have done so far is moving samples and “fetching” a project (a basic initialized one) I have not attempted to do more than this with regards to projects but I have not encountered an issue so far.
I am not in front of DT right now as I am away from home working but once back will try again (fetching project from DT).
I can confirm that moving samples from one folder to another has been working without issue though.
Have been sampling my MicroFreak, Blofeld and AS-1 and through Elk-Herd moving these from the “recorded” folder to the ones I created on DT.

Fetching/Importing project not working on my macbook mid 2012, High Sierra.
Tried Brave but it’s not working for me either.
Looking forward to an update, importing projects is an essential part of my workflow! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Look forward to your fix.
beer incoming

Support for 1.30, now in beta!

I think I have a working elk-herd for OS 1.30. I’ve done a bunch a tests with my unit and so far I think it is good.

If you’re up to it, please try it out, and report anything that seems amiss.

Since this is a beta release, please keep this in mind:

1. Right after transferring a project from the Digitakt, save the project as a file, and label it -as-transfered. This will help with debugging if anything goes awry and you want to report it.

2. Before transferring a project to the Digitakt, save the project on the Digitakt. Either use [FUNC]+[:gear:] to save it back, or [:gear:] > Project > Save Project As to save it in a new project slot.

3. After transferring a project to the Digitakt, don’t save it over the project you had loaded. Instead, use [:gear:] > Project > Save Project As to save it in a new project slot.

The URL you’ve all been waiting for:

https://electric.kitchen/crunch/beta/elk-herd/

I’m actually heading out on a short vacation tomorrow. I’ll be monitoring this thread, but will be unable to make patches for about two weeks. I expect this will go “final” shortly after that.

Peace,
— Mark

about project data versions

New versions of Digitakt OS generally mean new versions of the data format used for projects. 1.30 was no exception.

Digitakt OS always converts projects to the latest format version when loading - either when loading from the +Drive, or when the project is sent to it from elk-herd.

When Digitakt OS saves a project to the +Drive, or when when it sends it to elk-herd, it is always in the lastest format. Be aware of this: Once you have updated your Digitakt to a newer OS, all your saves will be in the newer format and will not be compatible if you downgrade the OS, or transfer them to a machine with an older OS.

elk-herd itself does not format conversion - but it will try to warn you if you try to use a data version that is incompatible with the OS version.

26 Likes

What luck, this works great!

Ignore my thread from minutes ago, I may have clicked an old link or something.

Elk Herd has been so incredibly useful, thank you so much!

4 Likes

Thanks again Mark !

1 Like

Great to hear!
Just tried importing a couple of patterns from other projects. However, they sound very different as the samples weren’t imported or assigned correctly.
Maybe the imported patterns use the same sample slot (number) but not the same actual sample (in case the sample now sits in a different slot after importing)?

My sample pool isn’t full btw.

Hmm… nothing about import has changed at all… but I wonder if DT OS 1.30 has a problem loading projects with pieces in mixed versions.

Just some things to check:

1. The samples used by the imported patterns were already loaded on the +Drive, right? Importing patterns from a project will add sample slots as needed, but it doesn’t move the samples themselves (as they are not part of a project in DT).

2. Importing patterns doesn’t blindly use the original sample slots. It looks to see if the same sample is already assigned to another slot, and uses that. If not, then it allocates a new slot. You should see this right after the import: Mouse over an imported pattern, and see what sample slots it highlights. If you see it highlight a sample slot that wasn’t part of that pattern before it was imported - let me know.

Can you tell what is causing an imported pattern to sound incorrect? Things to check:

• Identify a track that doesn’t sound like it did in the old project
  • Check that the trigs are all on the right beats
  • Look at the SAMP page, and see if the sample it is using is the right sample
  • Check over the FILT and LFO pages and see if the settings look right
  • Check the MASTER page 2, and see if the levels are right

These are things that could go wrong if the DT interpreted an old pattern as a new one… DM me details if you find any of this.

I’d love it if you (and anyone finding an error) could send me dump files (via DM, please):

1. Please save projects that are on the DT before you do the action that messes them up: Save Project As on the DT, and then fetch them into elk-herd and save them as a file. If you are loading or importing from a file - just save a copy off to the side for me. Name all of these files starting with pre-

2. Right after doing the action in elk-herd that you suspect messes things up, save it again as a file, and name this starting with mod-.

3. Finally, Send this to the DT - where presumably you can observe the “messed-up-ness” of it. Fetch it back to elk-herd and save it one last time, name this file starting with post-. The DT does processing on load and by looking at the post- and mod- files I can figure out if it is elk-herd or DT messing things up.

6 Likes