Elk-Herd 3.0

I hope Mark/mzero is ok. Looks like we’ve not heard from him for ages now. And yes, Elk-Herd is brilliant!

3 Likes

I think he’s okay! I follow him on instagram for his music stuff and he’s still posting cool stuff regularly :slight_smile: (last one was 6 days ago!)
Just taking a break from here I guess :smiley:

If you ever see this @mzero, please if possible add a function to download all the samples in a project! :smiley:
I don’t know how many times I’ve tried to reverse engineer elk-herd to figure out which function is actually executed when I click “Get Sample File”. To then try and add that into the project page so I could select all samples and “Get Sample File” or better yet just have a button to get all samples on the project :smiley: But sadly the elm->javascript ‘compiler’ munges stuff enough that I can’t really make out how it fits together.
I was monitoring the midi and see that when I click “get sample file” the digitakt does spit out a big bit of sysex (i’m assuming that’s the sample formatted as sysex) and then I think you have something that converts the sysex into an actual wav. But that’s as far as I got :frowning:

1 Like

I was under the impression that he was working on the samples for project feature, is that not the case?

Mzero could you confirm if you are or not?

1 Like

Hiho!

I am okay… well, as okay as one can be after a year+ of “stay at home” during a pandemic… I can’t really point any one thing, but somehow the events of 2020 (COVID, racial tensions, politics) quickly took a toll on me, and I just had much less energy.

Many of my projects had to take a back seat so that I could continue to at least make some music. I did wrangle some emotional live streamed performances into a nice album - and got some othernewwork out. I did finally have to challenge myself to get back in the studio on a more steady basis… which I did… which felt good… and now I’ve got some new things coming and thinking about touring in 2022…

Now, as for elk-herd:

send back to DT issues:

This is the #1 bug and has been there for awhile. It seems to affect only a small number of configurations… and I still haven’t figured out the common issue here… Sorry!

features:

• collect and save all - top feature we’d all like! Doable, but will take work.
  • batch rename - this would be nice… need to think about how the UI works… beyond that pretty easy
  • find unused samples on +Drive - very hard, though Elektron has said the APIs to make it possible are coming (there now?), in any event, this will be an intensive operation, as it will need to download every project on the unit. Again, UI for this will probably take some work, and the code will not be trivial.

machines:

• Octotrack - not likely to ever be supported, but then again, there already is a nice octotrack editor: OctaEdit
  • Model:Samples, Analog Rythm (I & II) - these will currently work with elk-herd for sample managment. Project management would take a significant development work for each, as every machine has a different project structure and encoding.
  • Digitone - Same issue as project management for M:S and AR.

application:

elk-herd could only be turned into a stand-alone application by using one of the packages that turns web apps into stand-alone apps (like, Electron, ironically). However, this will make it large (as it basically just embeds the whole core of a browser into the stand-alone app), and make the build and deploy process much more onerous for me. I don’t plan to do it… but happy if anyone else does.

As noted by others above, elk-herd, will work with any browser that supports Web MIDI - which includes Chrome, Opera, and Edge (which is basically Chrome). It also works on the Android versions of those.

iOS is a bother because Apple won’t let anyone use any web rendering engine other than the Safari engine. So even Chrome, on iOS, is really the Safari engine under the hood, and Safari doesn’t support Web MIDI. Given the growing amount of Web MIDI things - and “configure your MIDI thing-a-ma-jig” web pages, I have no idea what Apple is thinking!

future plans:

Honestly, I’m still kind of wrapped up in all that I can handle right now, so I don’t expect must motion on elk-herd in the very near term… except…

It is time to open source the thing! So, in the next two months I intend to put the whole source up on github. I will continue to both maintain the “official” code line, and always run the latest of it on my servers for free. For those that might want to contribute to it - know that it is no small piece of code: It is about 15k lines of Elm code in over 70 files.

Peace,
— Mark

31 Likes

thank you Legend.

3 Likes

Wow Mark glad to hear you’re doing good! Completely agree and glad 2020 is behind us.

I spoke with elektron today and they are apparently working on a collect and save all feature for transfer itself and will use a proprietary file format and everything!!!
So I’m hoping this may result in an API to make things more usable.
On the OS front! That’s amazing news! Maybe time to sink teeth into a new language :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your amazing work!

3 Likes

Mark, you are a Scholar and a Gentleman.
Feelin’ you on the 2020 front, (but I haven’t been digging 2021 much either!),
your work and ingenuity do not go unappreciated, EH is just fantastic!
Much Love,
Yoni

2 Likes

Awesome!

Now I got to look into Elm, seems pretty cool :slight_smile:

Just as an FYI (I was curious myself), elk-herd seems to work just fine for OS version 1.21, at least as far as the things I’ve tested (sample send and get, moving samples around and renaming, project fetch and send).

Cheers on this fantastic tool.

1 Like

As a FYI, for those allergic to chrome and google, Brave works fine with Elk-Herd 3.0 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love your program to organice my Digitakt, I realised that is not working properly with the last 1.30 OS. When an upgrade?, pleaaase!!!

Thank you!!

I have several reports that elk-herd doesn’t work with the 1.30 firmware.

I will try to look into this… but probably won’t be able to make any progress on it until next week. For now, I don’t need any more reports.

I’m just as eager as you are all to use 1.30, and keep my elk-herd work flow going! This is almost certainly a simple addition to the code to support the new OS - and your existing projects downloaded with elk-herd will certainly still upload again.

Thanks for your patience.

Peace,
— Mark

24 Likes

Remember to support mzero too , buy him a virtual beer or synth, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind either.

Links are on this thread probably.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to an Elk Herd version supporting DT 1.30, as I cannot use transfer 1.4 with my (seriously) old MacBook Pro (too old an iOS)!
Cheers!

DT 1.30 and Brave browser here: all good :slight_smile:

Really? Project management / pattern fetching also?

Wow, so Elk Herd is working with DT 1.30 just as before when using brave browser?

Yep, so far so good, Mac OS X Sierra.
Moving samples from one folder to another, fetching projects…
I suppose I have not used Elk-Herd to its full potential but it works for me :slight_smile:

I’d be a little stunned if you have elk-herd loading projects from a 1.30 Digitakt. Samples will work fine - because the API for Samples didn’t change. But the project data format is different, and elk-herd should refuse to load it as the current version doesn’t know how to read it.

1 Like