Elk-herd 3.0 public alpha

3.0 alpha 2 is up - just reload to get it!

New Features:

• Support older Digitakt OS versions: 1.08 and 1.10

Bug fixes:

• Renamed project file commands Open and Save
  • Don’t include sample slot zero (off) in Select Related command

If you experience trouble:

• Disable Overbridge on the Digitakt: Go to
    Settings > System > USB Config and
    set it to USB MIDI
  • Stop the sequencer before sending a project to the Digitakt
5 Likes

Hi! thanks for the fast response, but that is still not working. I thought that the problem might be with JACK, which is a sound manager for linux (http://jackaudio.org/) so I tried without it. And still having the same problems. i guess it has something to do with sending MIDI through Chrome, even if I allowed it :-/
I also tried setting input and output to USB.

2 Likes

It happened while writing the project to the DT when the pattern was playing, the DT showed “Received Pattern AXX” for a bunch of patterns and then eventually froze. The strange thing was that the audio continued although the display was completely frozen. Rebooted, tried to write again without playing, and it worked fine.

I didn’t mean keep them in sync automatically, just that it would be awesome to have a way to copy kit data from one pattern to another manually, with fewer steps than what I’m currently doing. The simplest UI I could imagine is that whenever you come up with the “copy pattern to another project” workflow, you have the ability to copy just the kit or the kit and sequence data. (That assumes that the copy pattern flow would also work inside the same project). I do understand that this is probably low priority next to other things you want to build, but just food for thought!

1 Like

Any chance of going open source with this project ?
thanks for your work anyway :smiley:

1 Like

:frowning: - I’ll pull out my Linux machine today and see what I can find. I generally use ALSA for MIDI, and only use JACK for audio… but I’ll see if I can get both working.

From the github repo for the project (mzero/elk-herd.project):

• Why do I see no code checked in here? Because the project is not currently open source.

• Why not? I had to work out the protocol to the synths on my own, as Elektron isn’t ready to support it publically. I respect that, and don’t want to make the protocol public by releasing my source code. Elektron is committed to eventually making an API they can support, and at that point I’ll be happy to open my source.

Small update: alpha 3 just pushed to support 1.11 beta 6 OS. You really should upgrade to 1.11… but some folks haven’t yet. Which I get: Sometimes you are in the middle of working on a piece and don’t want to rock the boat on your instruments!

4 Likes

Hi Mark,

gr8 project! I’m extremly interested in sending samples to my digitakt from my GNU/Linux machine. My Digitakt gets detected, can send samples, but couldn’t receive any sample i tried so far (48kHz, mono), with the stable site also with this alpha. My firmware is 1.11, and i use Debian 10 amd64 with chromium 76.0.3809.100. If you need any more info i am happy to provide it.

Greetz,
DNS

3 Likes

Don’t know if it matters, but in Chrome, you can allow/block web Midi access if you go to:
Preferences (Settings) > Advanced Settings > Site Settings > Midi Devices

Maybe that will help? Good luck!

1 Like

Nice job Mark, you are amazing, Elektron will be trying to steal you away from G here pretty soon with a juicy job offer.

1 Like

I wish you would open source this, it would be a nice project to learn Elm on … Although I understand if you won’t.
Edit : on the upside I can help with bugs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Linux users: I have reproduced the problems on my linux machines, and will look into what I can do. Sadly, I’ve found a bug report in the Chromium repo that implies that Chrome on Linux has problems with large SysEx messages… I’ll see what I can do for a work around…

D’awwwww… thanks! Actually, no stealing required: I left G at the start of the year to have full time to devote to music making and music technology!

See post #49 above for reasons why open source will come later.

5 Likes

Oh wow congratulations on your new-found time! I was wondering how you were able to manage work, this project, music-making, and real life to boot. Excited to see where this project goes, I can’t imagine that Elektron doesn’t want you on the team.

1 Like

Just unreal work mzero. What a talented person you are!

1 Like

My DT gets detected, can send and receive samples (so, elk-herd 2.0 works good), but cannot receive projects althought projects can be sent from DT to Chrome . I am using Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit wit a lowlatency kernel, and chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Hopefully you find an easy and nice workaround to this. That doesn’t sound so good :-/
Thanks again for not forgetting us, Linux users. Usually everybody forgets us.

3 Likes

excellent work man! thank you so much for sharing. ill be able to dive further into it next week.

1 Like

Hi elektronauts!

This was happening to me as well. The problem, as seen on the kernel log, is a “MIDI output buffer overrun”, which is probably caused because Chrome is using the ALSA midi sequencer interface instead of the ALSA midi raw.

The solution is to split the SysEx message add a pause between every fragment to let the buffer to be transmitted.

To overcome this limitation, I have developed a simple transfer application for Linux, which is available at https://github.com/dagargo/elektroid. Be aware it has not been properly tested yet, so run it under your own risk

I hope Linux users find it useful.

3 Likes

Would love to see this kind of app for the Analog Rhythm as well :grinning:

3 Likes

Brilliant for managing my project/samples/sounds.
Works flawlessly for what I needed.
Thank you so much :slight_smile: @mzero

1 Like

Good work man!
Make this for rytm pretty please :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tromendous work!

1 Like

any plans on making this an app (with elektron / Webview like Spotify etc.)? It would feel more “native” imho

1 Like