Elektron's favorite synthesizers

Very true! :frowning: We really really try though.

10 Likes

Do lots of females apply to work there then?

why WOULDN’T they?! It’s Elektron!!!

I think it’s like the electronic music version of Willy Wonka!

Don’t want to generalize, but female musicians I know are not that crazy for brands. If it is a casio and sounds good that’s it.
I think that is a great trait for anyone to have

My non-musician wife thinks EVERYTHING by Korg sounds like a toy. No matter what. Aside from that she doesn’t know anything about brands except me saying how cool Elektron stuff is!

I have male friends that think the same.
once I showed one of them a recording and he was blown away by the kick. You should have seen his face when I told him it was the volca beat’s :joy:

2 Likes

Honestly, how many female electronic music producers and software/hardware engineers have you personally known? I’ve not known many and I’ve been doing this since the mid 90s. I’ll bet that lack of interest has something to do with the disparity, as opposed to lack of talent. That whole self selection thing at work I suppose.

I used to laugh when upper management would grill us for not hiring more women, to which I’d have to reply: they need to apply for that to happen…

@Ess, that is really cool of you to gather up those answers from the team.

The way I see it, Elektron is an awesome company that makes awesome gear. I consider this to be universal. Why would I expect this universal notion to be different for women?

I wasn’t making assumptions, just curious if they get many female applicants based on @Olle comment that ‘they really really try’ for example do they get lots of female applicants who are not suitable, or is it difficult to attract female applicants to apply to work there.

I imagine so :slight_smile:

Funnily enough in the 80’s I worked at an electronics manufacturer of industrial equipment and most of the assembly staff were women.

1 Like

I just wanted to transition the subject matter into something whimsical and steer it into vastly agreeable territory.

It was not a comment on you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought it was pretty cool to see FM synthesis and Junos so heavily represented in the responses from the staff. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hahaha! That’s great. I happen to think that as well, a bit. I do like toys though. I will likely never part with my MS-20. I do think the Volca FM sound punches above its weight-class.

1 Like

The kick on the volca beats is really good!

2 Likes

And the 303 seemed to be a big favorite as well. Such a relatively simple synth compared to Elektron’s wizardry.

3 Likes

I love how Cenk is a master of what he does. In this instance- Marketing.

When asked about his favorite synth he transitioned to marketing one of his albums :smiley:

Brilliant

10 Likes

:thup: @Ryan

Back to synths:
@Dataline loves the Bastl SoftPop, I recommend the BitRanger too, they pair very nicely! I love these mini patchable devices!

2 Likes

The Volca Sample too, might be a ‘toy’ but the results it is capable of are far from toy sounding.

4 Likes

I’ll have to check those out, but I mean- I’m currently working with this powerful teeny tiny setup and adding more to it would destroy a bit of its minimal magic.

“Luckily”(for the sake of this conversation), I don’t work for Elektron so I’m able to say an Elektron device as my favorite synth(but it’s Machinedrum)(what I’ve got it totally ideal though)

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right. I like my V Sample too. Nothing wrong with toys, or toy sounds for that matter - see circuit-bending. It’s just funny to hear an uninterested third party say something out-loud that I sometimes feel about the modern Korg bright and metallic analogs, deep in my deepest of secret thoughts. Great, I’ve said this in a public forum. Tats will now hunt me down and repo all my Korg gear.

1 Like

@Ess

I don’t see any Japanese names on there…isn’t there an office in Japan?? Would love to hear from them, too! :wink:

1 Like