Elektron's CEO has left

Strategy A: Rytm and AFour mk3 but in mk1 form factor.
Strategy B: Sorry no mnm or mdm as it will make mine worth less.
Strategy C: Operating Thetan (OT) school will officially open, with 7 achievement levels. The school will be led by the 3 Level 7 OT maestros still alive today. Entry into the school will be 10,000 USD per level. This will fund a global buy back of worldwide copies of MDM and MDUW, to further assist driving up prices for these ultra rare musical diamonds. The school will be located at the foothills of Mount Everest.

4 Likes

we need a high level sherpa for this, octa tenzing norgay.

1 Like

Great insights! The school does require some lifting and climbing.

1 Like

Yeah, for me everything sounds more real than releasing a Rytm update

Donā€™t get me wrong, it seems like a great product, but from a design perspective it was merely iterative. The Models were the last thing that seemed like an entirely new thing from Elektron.

The CEO should also get credit for the excellent Digitakt 1.50 update, to the extent he was involved in that.

1 Like

I would imagine this short tenure at Elektron was somewhat tricky. I expect a lot of the time was spent figuring out how to reuse the AR and M:C chips in the ST, as well as the AH chips in the AH+FX. Both great products, but also received a lot of backlash due to their reiterative nature. Stepping in as CEO of any company so soon after the pandemic must be super stressful. I am hoping for the next CEO that Elektron have profited a great deal from the last couple of years and are on track for something new and exciting.

5 Likes

Public or private, this is a bad sign for any company. As bad as it gets. Wish Elektron sails through this period victorious.

But both products are highly succesful though, at least in sales: 4 Elektron products are in the top 20 drum computer sales of Thomann, with Syntakt on 1. The DT is also in this list, due to the wonderful 1.50 update.

The AHFX+ is in the top 10 USB audio interfaces, remarkable with so much competition in this category (and the price difference).

Is it mandatory for a CPO / CEO to make products with a ā€œnotable legacyā€, or is it their job to make sure the company makes competitive products and runs smoothly with enough revenue to ensure existence, especially with the covid supply shortages which were going on?

I find the general tendency that Elektron is not ā€œinnovativeā€, that they donā€™t have ā€œflagship productsā€ anymore and that the CEO lacks vision a bit disrespectful.

Both products released under his supervision are highly succesful and not only in sales. The 1.5 update for the DT was a suprise and proofs that with existing hardware you can still do new cool stuff. You could call this innovation if you like.

12 Likes

Iā€™d like to throw my hat in the ringā€¦ I have an MBA and not only can I pass a drug testā€¦ I can probably score an A- or B+ depending on the metrics used. Will need room for my La Pavoni and a huge stuffed Scrooge McDuck statue.

Some gaps in employment because of stuff

3 Likes

A forgotten legacy brands thread would be interesting.

2 Likes

I read on the internet heā€™s been replaced by AI. Soon all marching orders will come from your new overlord, AI. It is our destiny. Utopia.

1 Like

images

1 Like

We should all aspire to become human batteries to appease our AI gods!

1 Like

I had to look up what a CPO is, but I only found this

https://www.cpo.org.uk/

You can say that about any of the products, for most companies because itā€™s part of keeping continuity between products and in many cases, they are truly iterative devices with new versions of older products.

So back to keeping everyone happyā€¦ is that possible? No. Was it a successful product despite some not happy with its release? Apparently it does seem successful.

Sometimes a business is going to behave like a business.

2 Likes

Could it be Chief Product Officer?

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m sure that is what it is. Didnā€™t take long for Product Owners to elevate themselves to Chief Product Executive, I guess.

2 Likes

You still need product owners (or managers), but in businesses that deal with multiple products (digital or physical), you benefit from overarching strategic leadership that has domain expertise, which is where your CPO comes into play. I work with 3 (soon to be 4) Product Managers who report to a CPO. Theyā€™ll often work alongside the CTO and deal with the non-tech aspects of the product lifecycle, like customer discovery and design. Iā€™m in a design leadership position and also report to the CPO.

1 Like

So thatā€™ll soon be five memos a week about your TPS reports.

7 Likes

6 Likes