Elektronauts! I need your help incorporating a new TR-09 with Elektrons

Hi guys,

Just wondering how you all have incorporated your TR-09/TB-03 into your setups with OB?

Currently I have 3 Overbridge machines + Octatrack synced via USAMO - and it all plays very tightly.
Just got hold of the TR-09 and it’s been a total nightmare to setup so far! Reinforces how well Elektron have made Overbridge, as that was a breeze compared to this!

I generally record all OB machines + Octatrack + Modular at the same time as I do a live take of a track using all machines at once.

Ideally I would like to keep my setup as is, and record and monitor the TR-09 over USB.
Is it possible to Monitor the TR-09 over USB (ideally each track separately) and also monitor inputs from my soundcard?

From research it seems to be able to hear the TR-09 within Ableton you have to set the input of Ableton to ‘TR-09’ which would stop being able to monitor anything coming from my soundcard at the same time?

I’d be amazed if Roland have made it like this?! Seems like a really poor design choice!

I would like to prevent having to setup an aggregate device for the TR-09 as currently I have no latency issues whatsoever.

Is what I’m trying to achieve even possible? Not looking hopeful from what I’ve read so far…

I could take the mix out of the TR-09 into my soundcard but seems mad to have a restricted sum of all the TR-09 tracks, rather than being able to split them and record separately over USB!

Also is it possible to change patterns via midi? And are all parameters controllable with CC’s?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Are you running a Mac? If so the aggregate device works very well and doesn’t necessarily add latency, it uses whatever latency is the higher of the gear. For example if device A has 4ms latency and device B has 10ms, the aggregate will run at 10ms. I haven’t used a TR 09 so don’t know about your midi questions…

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply - I am on Mac will explore this option, and see about the latency. :slight_smile:

Really interested to hear from anyone that is using a TR-09/TB-03 about how they’ve made it work for them? Hopefully someone is out there :wink:

1 Like

Anyone else record their TR-09/TB-03 over USB and use their soundcard at the same time? is aggregate the only way to go?

1 Like

No one multitrack the TR-09/TB-03 over USB while also utilising their soundcard inputs? Or have a Roland boutique unit working well with OB for example?

I used to have an aggregate device that involved a TR-8, a System-1 and Scarlett 18i8. I ran the RYTM and A4 simultaneously using Overbridge and it all hung together just fine. As pointed out above, the aggregate device didn’t bring any new latency to the table.

3 Likes

Thanks! Will give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Alastair, so have tried setting up an aggregate device, none of the TR-09 inputs are audible, until i change Ableton’s input setting to just ‘TR-09’

Thanks for your suggestions, it seems that I need to talk to someone that is using one of the boutique range, as they configured the TR-8 differently. Apparently to make the boutique range more accessible.

Roland UK have taken 2 days to reply to one email, and refuse to let me speak to anyone on the phone. Roland US are just as unhelpful - wouldn’t put me through to anyone that knew any details of the product whatsoever, and quoted 2-3 days for an email that may be of any use… 0 out of 10 Roland!

Virus TI USB audio was more straight forward than this, and that really is saying something!

Dave is everything in your aggregate device running at the same sample rate, because that is crucial

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Alistair :slight_smile:
I’ve checked and the boutiques have to run at 44.1k as some users struggled with the Tr-8 requiring 96k

So I’ve made sure both soundcard and Tr-09 are set to 44.1k in the aggregate settings

I know the data is being sent, as I can record the audio when tr-09 is set to be the main input for Ableton. However as soon as I set the input to be aggregate it can’t see the signal

Are you sure your selecting the right input? In audio midi setup when you click on the aggregate it will show to the right the configuration and which new channel #'s belong to each channel of each device.
Also may help to make sure one device, usually sound card, is set to internal clock, and enable the drift checkbox on all other devices, this sets one device as clock master and ensures sample accurate playback between devices…

1 Like

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply - within Ableton when you select an audio track’s input it drops down a menu which displays all inputs - with gain meters, and there isn’t a signal coming in on any of the 20 available.

I’ve made sure to set the soundcard is the internal clock, and drift is checked too.

Seems to be some problem with the aggregate device but can’t figure out what that is!

Is it possible you could post a screenshot of your audio settings in Ableton?

A post was split to a new topic: How to sync TR-09 to Octatrack?

I had same problems. Using TR09 via usb with separate outs cannot make it work. Somehow you need to select as main audio hub which doesnt make sense.

I only use the audio out and split the stereo channels to 2*mono in the unit itself.

Furthermore when using usb as power source and audio I also get some high noise feedback from speakers.

I somebody know how to setup the seperate put via usb without whitenoise please advise. For now i see the unit only usable from main outs.

Thanks Alistair - will do when I’m next in the studio :slight_smile:

I’m in communications with Roland Support about setting this up so will post once I know more.

I don’t own a TR-09 specifically, but experience with the Roland Boutique JU-06 tells me that they are prone to white noise when powered solely by USB. I use the ground splitter thing from a Beatstep Pro which splits the cable to a power source to ground the unit and to the computer to transfer audio/data.

I am not sure if you can buy those splitters separately.

What does this cable look like ?

Is it something like this ?

No, it looks like the adapter on the left in this picture. But I should imagine the device in the link you posted would do a good job too.

1 Like