Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #8 - Back to 92 edition

Just saw this - do we get the full day of Feb 9th to submit?? I really wanted to get in on this one.

Awesome bass! And as @Sleepyhead mentioned, great how it fits in the mix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah sure :+1:. I’m in the UK so will say deadline’s up sometime in the morning of the 10th London time.

1 Like

Awesome! Ill post it tomorrow :slight_smile: time to get working haha

I’m not done yet either :grimacing:

1 Like

Hello everyone. :slightly_smiling_face:
Looking forward to playing through all the beats at the weekend…
here’s mine.
I used all three tracks but mainly Sade.
All sampled and sequenced in Digitakt with a couple of edits in Ableton.

I’ve had to use headphones only for this beat so I hope it sounds ok levels wise.

16 Likes

Typical last minute. Had a whole other section but ran out of time. Relentless drums and overcompressed as standard. Would have liked to have done more with the drums (and the whole second section!) but it always take much longer then I think.

Main sample is the Mr Fingers track, double timed and pitched in Serato Sample, then chopped and messed with on the 404 mk2. Vocals from the other two. Only outside source is the drums. All done with resampling/pattern combo on the 404.

14 Likes

Wow

I’m writing this with a massive headache from allergies, so sorry if I sound weird.
Drums: Samples from somewhere?
808: MPC kick drum synth plugin.
Mr Fingers plays pitched up in the background.
Chante a-capella pitched up and played over the top, (thx again @looms for the a-capella).
Sade pitched up and played as the main weird riff thing.

This one was made on not a lot of time (thanks Uni :weary:), and definitely sticks out like a sore thumb among all these dope, normal (as in not stupid like mine) beats.

Hopefully, I’ll make something better next time. Love what y’all have put out, and its awesome to see more submissions than usual. :smile:

Cheers

10 Likes

Haven’t shared anything in a long time! Shout out to organizing these battles, it was a great exercise to dive deeper into my DT. This is a live take of the mix (on headphones…sorry if the levels are shit) run through EQ and Lo-Fly dirt. Bass and core loop is Sade, vocal one shots are Chante and keys are Mr. Fingers.

11 Likes

What a trip back to 92. Thanks @Doug and @rockpapergoat for the chance to go back. Waay back. I hope it comes through sounding good. I took all my inspiration from 92. I took a different approach this time and just did live track muting on one pattern on my digitakt. I also used a piano and my turntable (loaded with the Sade/Chante vocals).

The main ingredients:

• guitar/keys from Chante
  • bassline from Sade
  • scratched vocals from Sade/Chante
  • beat from Melvin Bliss - synthetic substitution
  • Piano riffs from the Bell Piano in my hallway

Now that I’m done, I can’t wait to put on my headphones and listen to all the other submissions in here. Fewf.

14 Likes

Those vocals and that bass… soooooo good

I really like those vocals and the chorus breakdown!

2 Likes

Lovely stuff everyone! And there I was worried the samples were gonna put people off and we’d have hardly any entries :sweat_smile:

@PanagiotisDJ - How’s yours coming along? Happy to wait until this evening London time if you think you might get something in?

2 Likes

Awesome

1 Like

Thank you sir! I love the piano and scratching in your beat

1 Like

i think it’s creative a hell… it may not be the jam we all bump in our cars… but there are cool ideas and elements in all of these submissions… thanks for sharing

3 Likes

Hey everyone, I’ll sort out the voting thread tomorrow. If anyone who hasn’t submitted wants in, if you share it here in the next 12 hrs-ish then you’re golden.

Here’s my other version I didn’t finish. Weirdly I had the piano, drums and bass melody from a track from ages ago I never finished (pattern forming) and had an inkling it would all be in tune (sort of) when I started playing around with the samples for the battle. It doesn’t completely work and it’s not the style I usually try and make but thought I’d share :nerd_face:

5 Likes

One of the hardest ones yet I thought, but, wow, everyone put together amazing stuff! Thanks for organizing this!

3 Likes

First time I am submitting. Great to hear how everyone has their own style, was a pleasure to have a listen to all of them.

Only had very little time, track could be shorter, turned out OK, but well, here we go…, adding just some additional color to many other colors that the tracks from everyone here have.

About the track:
Imported the full tracks 6 times into Reaktors Massive.ens and used my legacy lemur controller to built simple sequences. BD and SD is from Sade. The rest are random slices I searched in the Reaktor ensemble. Sounds are from Sade and Chante Moore, pitched up/down, some delay reverb.

11 Likes