Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #5 - Less is more edition

Ok, here we are :slight_smile: So, I clearly do not know what I do and I accept any feedback at least I had a really fun trying to build something with those sample, thanks @drrumble ! I tried that challenge to push myself to not just only noodle with the Polyend Tracker and well, here we are :slight_smile:

13 Likes

okay, enough struggling. i came up with three different tracks. all of them are kinda gross.

for this one, i went for a super blown out, distorted, dirty sound. getting all the pitches to jive caused me some distress. in the end, for this one, it didnā€™t matter as much, so maybe itā€™s the easy way out. i purposely havenā€™t listened to any other entries yet. you are all too good. listening first might lead me to toss all my gear in the dumpster.

elements in this are all the source samples:

• chopped up disco break layered on top of drums
  • horns and bells from obsession
  • russian singing and flute from that russian one
  • simple bass line with repro-1
  • sequenced drums (kount one-shots), a couple of different patterns
  • a pile of effects, automation, eq, mastering, etc. in ableton

not sure this is the best one, but itā€™s working for me at the moment. will post the other two after votingā€™s done (theyā€™re also up on soundcloud now).

good luck everyone.

13 Likes

Well, after freeing up some sample time on my PO and working hard on it last night, I present to you my humble submission. :slight_smile:

For the main chop I sampled all of the section of the Obsession suite labeled ā€œSandra Again.ā€ It jumped out at me right away as the chop meant for me.
The snare(s) and hi-hats were taken from the very groovy disco record, :sunglasses: and the bass sample is a stab taken from the Russian record. My only outside sample was a one-shot for the kick drum, since I failed about three times to get a good kick from the records. A small reverb was added after recording to give it just a little bit of space.

Yes, I know its not the cleanest or best sounding mix by any means (I know diddly squat about mastering), but I think I pushed myself in having more variation and structure to this beat than my previous ones. I hope by letting the sample breathe in some places it created more tension to the track. Or something like that idk lol. :sweat_smile:

Loving the other submissions so far and canā€™t wait to vote on them next week!

Cheers :pineapple:

12 Likes

Yeah sure, in the reply box, click on the gear icon and on ā€œHide Detailsā€ after that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the goods. Now Iā€™m excited to check out everyone elseā€™s beats.

12 Likes

Likewise!

I only took tiny bits from 2 of the records - namely: hihats from the disco record & a timpani drum from the OST (which I pitched around and used to augment the bass) - and went for a straight up ā€œlayered loop + filtered bassā€ approach with a nod to Xtra P, Large Pro, DITC, Ghetto Pros, Beatminerz etc. regarding the 3rd.

13 Likes

Hereā€™s mine:

I took some background choir and harp pieces from the very beginning of the soundtrack which I chopped up to make the main melody, added the very first horn note from the Russian song, and they used the French disco song to make a bassnote by filtering and resampling a couple of time, and a synth by taking a single cycle from this song. Some strings from later on in the soundtrack sample are layered in later on.

No external instruments or samples used, except for the drum hits.

Hope you guys like it! I will now start listening to all the beats submitted so far!

15 Likes

Hereā€™s mine.
From the french disco sample, I used little guitar chops from the first 16 bars.
I tried to use that as my main rhythm.

from the orchestral soundtrack I filtered a flute sound with a little filter LFO and also used the flute unfiltered for the chorus.
(I also played with the notes a little)

On the bottom sample I used the horn sound at the beginning and also a couple of little vocal hits.
Only outside elements are the one hit drums and a bass tone.
All made and mastered in Digitakt.
I recorded it from the Takt master output onto my laptop and maximised the volume.

Iā€™ve sifted through the first few bars of the other beats posted and it sounds like another high standard, looking forward to giving them all a proper listening.
Have a good weekend everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Here is mine. Itā€™s a little different than usual. Thereā€™s a main beat, the samples used, and then a bonus beat that we can all enjoy.

The Russian one is the main sample. I put some of the guitars from the Francois Feldman one in there, as well.

The drums are all from the Feldman record, except for an outside snare and hi-hat. I used a bit from Obsession to be a little percussive thing, as well.

Anyway:

11 Likes

made on OT, main sample is obsession soundtrack, clap is the Yellow hand sample, and the flute is the Russian joint

11 Likes

Very good job everyone! As usual thereā€™s a lot of dope beats!

I didnā€™t put a description with my beat so here it is :

I used the russian intro as my main loop. I submited this sample because it has an obvious perfect loop, so i wanted to see if you guys would use it. Iā€™m surprised to see that almost nobody used the entire loop, it show well the different approach we all have.

I added little guitar and drums chops of the disco song and a sample from the soundtrack who come in the Middle of my track.

Drums (kick, snare and hithat) are goldbaby samples.

Have a good weekend guys, there is two days more to subbmit your tracks!

8 Likes

I think thatā€™s what I love most in your brief. From 3 tracks, look at the diversity of the output!

In fact this is the #1 thing I love in battles. Second one being how it kicks my ass to get tracks done, and pushes to get better at it.

6 Likes

Phew. I wish I had more time to work more on it, especially with Obsessionā€¦
I used Feldman for drums and chorus, russian (who?) as main loop and main voice, and Obsession beginning with Timpani / Brass etcā€¦

3 additional Machinedrum samples and a saw for synth melody.
(Octatrack)

11 Likes

Count me in. Only just realised this challenge existed, in the process of cooking something up now. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ok, Iā€™m inā€¦

Congrats to everyone whoā€™s submitted, the standard is really high again, seriously impressive.

I must say, I really loved this particular battle, kudos to @drrumble for coming up with it.
Not just cos Iā€™m glad to have had a hand in the samples, but Iā€™ve really appreciated the focus itā€™s given it (removed a lot of option paralysis) and itā€™s fascinating to see/hear the variation in submissions given the same choices we all have.

I started my track purposely to reveal the main samples Iā€™ve used from each trackā€¦ opening sample is from @drrumbleā€™s Russian oneā€¦ percussion loop is from @rockpapergoatā€™s with the samples from Obsession.

I used some drum hits from the Francois Feldman track further in, along with a few other samples from each.

The only instrument I played was the bass (on my Sub37).

11 Likes

Just a rough single take recording. Iā€™ll give a proper description later.

Main Course:
Šœ ŠŠžŠ–ŠšŠ˜Š Š‘Š•Š Š˜ ŠØŠ˜ŠŠ•Š›Š¬ ŠŸŠžŠØŠ›Š˜ Š”ŠžŠœŠžŠ™

Drums and Percussion/Guitar chops: FranƧois Feldman & Yellowhand

A sine wave was the only - ONLY other sound usedšŸ‘‡šŸ»

[FULL DISCLOSURE]: Iā€™m disqualified! I just realized that I missed the pattern with ā€œObsessionā€ samples in my live recording. DQā€™d

8 Likes

Hi people, Iā€™m new here but have been lurking for a week or so. :face_with_monocle:

Great community and wicked battles here! Hope to have a submission tomorrow. Itā€™s going to be rough but hopefully I can get something in. Really enjoying playing with the three samples so if Iā€™m too late, itā€™s been fun and hopefully I can be in for the next one :sunglasses:

Update. Will be done before midnight. Nothing like a deadline to actually ā€˜finishā€™ something :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Iā€™ll hopefully be able to start and finish my submission today still :smiley:

2 Likes

Not my best work, but significant beacuse: god, Iā€™ve not made music in aaaages. Nothing. So: being forced to sit down with not a lot to work with and just make something felt like an achievement. Beats sliced out of some loop I found somewhere, simple bass done by hand, and then you can probably hear where the rest came from. Fairly simplistic, but eh, I got out of bed, so to speak. Thanks for the push.

18 Likes

Hey, @infovore, welcome here!
Glad this battle game got you back to creating, I dig this track :thup:

2 Likes