Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #2: Voting and Feedback

Getting my vote in early then, it’s been great listening through to all of the tracks.

1. @Maisin I’ll be honest, when I heard the ‘Billionaire’ sample, I was dubious and didn’t expect what was to come… but, fk me, everything after that moment is superb! The groove is top drawer, as is the bass and overall production. Great job.

2. @new_drugs The hooks are solid, and, well, hooky. The use of melodic samples was spot on and worked with the vibe perfectly. Then at 2.45 to bring in another groove that was equally as good, solid work.

3. @rockpapergoat great production and mix, the track sounds superb, great use of sounds/textures throughout.

Honourable mentions for the people who were very close to making my top 3;

@Doug loved the groove and simplicity of the approach.
@FNKSTRNG I really liked the moodiness of your track
@Buska lots of interesting themes…I think if you’d presented your best 1-2mins of this track you’d have made my Top 3.
@Boxymusic really liked the overall vibe and your approach to it.

11 Likes

First i want to congratulate everyone here, once again there a lot of very good vibes, very happy to be involved in this.

My top 3 :
1 @Yabba love your beat, it remind me my classics from the nineties. Definitly want to ear it with an acapella.

2 @Sleepyhead Sound Like a classic golden era New York beat, it spoke to me.

3 @DimensionsTomorrow Again u did a great job and i Like the diferents flips and evolution of the beat.

9 Likes

Damn this was hard to judge again! Great entries overall, and some really creative sampling going on.

I gotta say: you did a great job @DimensionsTomorrow! The theme is awesome and also the rule of not allowing acapella’s really helped comparing the beats. I really like the fact that so many people’s beats were inspired by the theme, and the overall sound of this battle is more experimental compared to the last one.

Top 3:

1. @Kpucski: Your beat sounded both experimental/cinematic and like a hard knocking hiphop track. Great mix, great buildup, great drums!
  2. @new_drugs: Between this one and the last one, you really seem to have a sound of your own. I like the overall subtle yet dirty sound, and love the combination of some simple elements and some more complex evolving ones. I would love a whole album in this style.
    3.@Boxymusic: props for doing the song live on the DT/Tracker, and ending up with such a complex and interesting song. I love the drums and overall sound. Great track.

Honorable mentions:
@Yabba @DimensionsTomorrow @Doug @drrumble Your tracks knock, and I highly respect the fact that each one of you has a very distinctive and recognizable sound between your entries and the music I’ve heard from you guys before. I think it’s a great skill if you can make a tune out of the weird samples available and still make it sound like you instead of just some weird samples combined.
@rockpapergoat: great cinematic track, props for the skills needed to make this!

10 Likes

All tracks are very good. You did a good job.

6 Likes

I am seriously not blowing smoke when I say this is a seriously talented group. It was really hard to decide what were my top three entries. I listened to all the beats a number of times and had a different top 3 every time.

top three:

1. @Yabba - Wow! This kind of has it all. Ridiculously well executed. I don’t quite know where to start. The way you fit the samples together and selection is incredible. The dialogue in the beginning fits the vibe so well and propels it forward. The mixing and arranging are just so good. The “mm Hmm” vocal adds such a note of melancholy to it.

2. @Kpucski - Creepy ass disembodied Frank Sinatra! This battle has no shortage of texturally interesting drum sounds but this probably takes the cake for me. I’m envious of however the hell you are getting these drums to sound this way. Also the bass morphing at about 1:30 is a neat trick. So many cool details in this one. And the vibe is pure menace. Love it.

3. @Maisin - This is so weird and nocturnal sounding. Another track that sort of builds it’s own distinct sonic universe. This really feels like something I haven’t quite ever heard before but definitely has some classic hip hop dna in it. The sample use is really innovative.

In case your interested here are my notes on the other entries:

Sleepyhead – Serious Craft. Very classic sounding. Excellent production. Cool bass line/sound. I love the arpeggio synth section and the drum breakdown that comes at the end of that section (in about 1:12). That level of detail is so next level (especially for a time limited beat battle).

Rockpapergoat – I love the dubby effects on the drums and when the whole groove kicks in it is a superb moment. I appreciate how the track keeps morphing but never loses the overall feel. Cool to see the different ways you and Sleepyhead incorporated that synth arpeggio sample into your tracks.

DimensionsTommorrow – It’s really interesting how consistent your style has been throughout these first two battles. I think a lot of it comes down to the looseness of the drums and sample selection. I’m super impressed with your production value. It is super clean sounding but very warm. The way you use the samples and the ones you select has a natural musicality to it.

Doug – For me, this is all about the drum groove and the little percussion flourishes you threw in there. This has a lot of swing to it. The texture and feel of the drums you got on this is something I often am trying to get to and have a lot of trouble accomplishing.

FNKSTRNG – The drum tone is very satisfying on this and the track has a great gradual build to it. I enjoy how the slightly overblown quality of the drums contrasts with the softer synth samples. Feels pretty effortlessly arranged. The sample flipping also feels pretty unique.

Drrumble – I feel like the samples are being manipulated and tweaked and I can’t tell what you are doing. The combination of samples and how everything feels like they fit together is pretty notable on this. Props on the sinister bass line as well.

The_PMO – I feel like both of your submissions for these beat battles have been unique from a sound perspective. I appreciate the angle you come at the samples with. Specifically the vocal samples are used in such a way that creates a slightly unsettled feel (similar to how Boards of Canada sometimes uses vocal samples). I love the hanging quality the piano line leaves.

Affectionate-Bee-781 – This one also has an otherworldly quality to it. It feels very mysterious to me. Excellent drum programming. Cool to see all the different ways that EFNY bass sample has been used throughout these beats.

Simonbradford - Incredible progression throughout. Innovative sample manipulation. I love when samples feel completely divorced from the source material. You 100% bent these samples to your will.

ViolentMeals – Those drums are huge. Another entry with a nocturnal, sleepwalking sort of vibe but contrasted with these blown out drums.

Buska – It’s impressive that this is a live take – I would not be able to that. The breakdown at around 2:00 minutes is really cool. The evolution throughout keeps it interesting.

Kurochi – That intro makes me laugh every time I’ve heard it. Nice sample selection. Cool hi-hat programming.

CCMP – More than any other entry, this one really encapsulates the spirit of the Escape from New York theme for me. It has a totally cinematic quality to it. It feels like it could be in a modern remake of EFNY.

Dkstr – Also very cinematic. So many nice touches in this one as well. The vinyl slowing down effect at 0:38 is a tiny part but I really appreciate those details. I love how this just keeps progressing the whole way. Great dynamics.

Boxymusic – I feel like this one really goes on a journey. Big props for the live performance. The way the dialogue gets used throughout keeps it interesting almost like a story is being told. When you drop that Gong sample at around 1:52 it’s a great moment. I really wanted to use that sample myself but could not figure out how to incorporate it.

Sezare56 – Next level drum work… The rolling kick is so effective here. Very smooth and glossy production. Another very cinematic track.

Nionmu – cool drum programming. Great vibe overall. The stab sound that sort of sounds like a harp kind of is a great hook.

Nice work everyone.

12 Likes

I think up top I should give the same kind of caveats. I think everyone did a great job. And honestly, the ranking kind of bounces around in my head. But, one I’m actually pretty firm on is my top spot.

@Yabba I really loved this one. It reminded me of kind of like West meets East Coast style boom bap records that would pop up as b sides in the late 90s. It’s just a great track that’s all the better for knowing how the samples were actually flipped.

Next, I’d say our fearless leader for this one, @DimensionsTomorrow. I really love how glued together everything is here. It sounds like you just lifted loops off of one record and put drums to it. Super dope.

Finally, there were a couple of the what I’d call cinematic collage style beats that were really great. But I think my favorite was @Boxymusic. It’s funky, everything fits together well, and it’s really well paced. I especially appreciated how you incorporated that fill from the Gong record.

So that’s

1. @Yabba
  2. @DimensionsTomorrow
  3. @Boxymusic

Special shout outs to @Maisin. That one was nuts. It’s just simple and effective. It sounded great. @Dkstr was really on the cusp for me. It was between this and @Boxymusic for that final spot. You really bent the samples to your will and made them do what you wanted them to do. @Sleepyhead, I really just straight up love your style. And it sounded like one of your beats. So it knocked. @Affectionate-Bee-781 had I think the wildest one. I think this one would be really great in a film, actually. And I like how @the_PMO broke down his track, which kind of like last time seems like it’s one of those records that just never saw the light of day over sample clearance issues.

So yeah, shout out again to @DimensionsTomorrow for putting down a great beat and hosting a great battle

11 Likes

Super high quality everyone, as my first time participating to anything here, it is cool to see there is so much variety. These could be in lots of different orders really.

Here are my top 3

1. @Maisin - Heady! I like how it has a feeling that it could be actually Carpenter song if he would listen to hip hop (maybe he does?). Very cool and moody!
  2. @Buska I like the slamming drums and the spaciness of it all! Being one of the longer entries, I think the good stuff kicks in around 3:00 but builds really nicely all the way to there!
  3. @new_drugs - Now this is a great vibe. I would say this would work without the vocal sample too, my fave part is towards the end when it gets really moody!

Apparently there is limit to tag ppl, I did write something for everyone but dunno what would be the ok way to share them, but here are some of the other ones I really dug:

@Boxymusic This was just overall super great, especially the first 2 mins! Love the vid too
@the_PMO - While it does not really capture the Escape feels, I still Love everything about this! Sound, mix, overall haziness of it all!
@Sleepyhead - Super good mix and clever use of Carpenter stuff, I had same sample piano note thing ready for mine too but did not use it in the end. Could easily be from Illmatic era!
@DimensionsTomorrow - Super nice drums and love the rhodes type of keys! Great mix too.
@Doug - Love to see this played live on the vid and top notch dark vibes, would like to hear Cypress Hill on top of this
@FNKSTRNG - Fresh sound! Would love this even more if it would cut in and out more, nice to hear totally different take how to approach the task!
@kuroichi - I was_this_ close to use the sample. While it maybe does not have that close connection to the Carpenter style, very, very cool and shows how keeping it simple sometimes is the best thing!

Good job everyone, looking forward to the next one!

12 Likes

Still only half the votes in, so anything could happen! Stay tuned. :wink:

3 Likes

First off, I do want to mention that every beat is really good!

We’ve all just produced a really decent couple of mixtapes between us all in a matter of a few weeks.

It was far more tricky to pick favourites this time but my top three are….

@new_drugs
I love little singing vocal drop-ins, so this is really my sort of thing.
Very catchy and I had the “got soul” vocal snippet running through my head for a whole day after hearing it haha.

@rockpapergoat a straight up good well made piece of music, very very nice.

@kuroichi Simple but effective, sometimes it’s good to make something sick and just leave it alone and this beat is testament to that.

Honourable mentions is everyone else that made a beat.
It would be very easy. depending on mood to choose a different top three every day.

8 Likes

This one was tough. I flip-flopped on my top 3 several times, but these are my picks.

1. @CCMP - Your track nailed the Carpenter vibe for me.

2. @Boxymusic - This one was a hell of journey; very creative.

3. @ViolentMeals - You really scraped the shadows and highlighted the city grime.

@Sleepyhead, @new_drugs - making it into your top 3 is an absolute honor, both of your tracks are top notch.

I get D.I.T.C. vibes from Sleepy’s beats, and I’m a huge fan of Finesse and Showbiz productions. ++

@sezare56 your drum programming to the “Alternate Opening” fit like a glove. So tight!

@DimensionsTomorrow this was a very good concept for a battle! Thanks

Everyone who participated Killed it! I could go on and on but my phone keeps scrolling up and I can’t tell what I’m writing.

Peace,

-K

10 Likes

Ok, here’s my votes:

1. @rockpapergoat
  2. @Maisin
  3. @Boxymusic

Honorable mentions go to @Sleepyhead, @DimensionsTomorrow, @Yabba, @drrumble and @Kpucski Enjoyed listening to all of these - really impressive stuff! Could have picked another top 3 easily, the ones I chose seemed to match up best with the theme :slight_smile: … and some comments: (can’t tag everyone)

@Sleepyhead Enjoyed this classic, laid back feel. Mix sounded great.

@rockpapergoat atmospheric and lovely. Gave me the feeling of a NY jazz club out of a movie - well done!

@dimensionstomorrow great mix and sound again! The flow between samples and sections was impressive and made for a good listen.

@doug the vibe on this one made me feel like I was at a party… or getting ready for a fight :slight_smile: cool use of the samples

@FNKSTRNG this beat is hard. The melodic sounds in the background brought a nice contrast to the driving drums and bass.

new_drugs very chill! It almost feels like a different genre and I’m not upset about it :slight_smile: Great use of the Bobby Hebb track.

@drrumble great track with a classic vibe! Feels well setup for for an acapella

the_PMO really dig the creative funky beat!

@Maisin felt very aligned with the theme of the movie. Dark, moody, and evocative

@Kpucski Another track which matched up pretty well with the movie. Moody! It’s so ready for an acapella, great job!

simonbradford pretty wild and creative beat!

ViolentMeals a head knocker no doubt! This beat goes so hard it made my computer crash - which means I got to listen your track twice :slight_smile:

@Yabba chill and evocative! Love the bass line and sound. An all-rounded enjoyable listen

Buska great jobs with the movement in the track! A chill, dark flow throughout it ~ enjoyable listen!

kuroichi tasty jam here! Thematic vibes with movie

CCMP impressive showing! Would not have guessed this genre is new to you. Love the EFNY feels here with the sampling

DKSTR epic vibe you curated here - kudos!

@Boxymusic wheewww, this one knocks! The vibes/samples from the movie along with the GIs make for a new, cohesive energy.

sezare56 love the beat variations and textures!

nionmu love the chill atmosphere. Bass/kick sound great, overall love all the percussion elements

12 Likes

@Affectionate-Bee-781
@Buska
@FNKSTRNG

(I’m sure another day the ranking would have been different)

I refrained from listening to the tracks before putting mine …
I did well I probably would never have posted otherwise.
Obviously I did not read your opinions before making mine.

Only good songs, extremely difficult to define “winners” Since one is appreciated for its rhythm the other for the subtlety of its breaks yet another for the surprise …
How to decide? It is necessarily unfair.
Especially since in reality there are 18 good rhythms, 14 subtle breaks and 16 surprises.
I found it harder than doing the song after all.
Now I’m curious to read your reviews and know the “top 3”.
Thanks to @DimensionsTomorrow for the organization and the time spent, thanks everyone for your songs (some are missing, right?).

Edit:
Funny to see that it was difficult for everyone and that the ranking could have varied depending on the day.
I will try like @Boxymusic to make a “system” of notation, probably the most accurate.

11 Likes

For me, in no particular order:

@the_PMO: I like the sample selection and beat a lot. Plus, sounds like a rainy day to me. Reminds me of walking around as a kid listening to music in the rain.

@Doug: great rhythm, I like the chops and syncopation a lot too. The beat has a lot of oomph for sake of a better word.

@DimensionsTomorrow: great sample choice and beat. ‘THE AUTHORITIES DECLARE THE BRONX A HIGH RISK ZONE!’

I enjoyed everyone’s beats, and had a hard time picking. I think @Yabba ‘s beat was real nice, and sounded like it was lifted off one of any of the CD’s I have on my shelf. @Boxymusic did a great job cutting up the scenes from GI Junkies and adding different elements for build ups etc, especially when I heard that synth build up from EFNY around the 2:00 mark.

Well done all, looking forward to hearing everyone in the next battle.

11 Likes

My top 3:

1. @the_PMO everything worked really well together, little elements like the piano key change I liked
  2. @Boxymusic nice groove and vibe, especially only using the submitted samples
  3. @Yabba all the elements worked well together and the piano part for the end could have been a whole other beat!

Listening to all the beats over the last 3 days and trying to pick was tough - well done to everyone, the standard was so high. A couple of things stood out for me:

• a lot of folk picked @rockpapergoat’s Alan Parker sample but flipped it in oh so many different ways, which was cool
  • there were also a lot of submissions that only used the submitted samples, hats off to you. (I imposed this limit on myself and found it a real challenge to get something going)
  • the movie set the tone for so many beats, I thought the theme worked really well
  • so many people on holiday and short of time managed excellent beats!

I made notes for all the tracks as I was listening over, so I’ll include them but won’t @ everyone:
sleepyhead - super polished and well produced (you’ve set yourself some high standards!) Liked the use of the EFNY arp and the bass sound (which I’m guessing is coming from the AR)
rockpapergoat - the guitar parts were great and worked really well with the beat/drums/percussion. You win for best beat title :smiley:
dimensionstomorrow - the organ sounds were perfect, liked the subtle sounds of the EFNY samples. too short, wanted to hear more!
doug - pro level use of the samples and you just make it sound effortless. The drum fills/rolls/chops were on point. Again, I wanted to hear more!
fnkstrng - the subtle melodies and textures balanced really well with the hard-hitting drums
new_drugs - very chill, the different elements were really well put together
drrumble - classic vibes, everything hangs around the bass so well
affectionate_bee - really got into the sparse soundscape and the mellow drums and bass, nice work :+1:
kpucski - so atmospheric with the storm in the background, the slowed down vocals were a smart move
simonbradford - a real grimey, electro 80s vibe with that reverse/slow attack sound
violentmeals - nice drum patterns and sounds selected. As a live recording only using 2 of the submissions, it was very impressive
buska - sparse but effective, as a live jam and you were pushed for time, it was a great effort
kurochi - 80s funk vibe totally in keeping with the movie. the hi-hat rolls were spot on. Again, I wanted to listen to more!
CCMP - really liked the driving drums and the filters you put on them, vocal samples and the synth sounds were perfectly matched to the theme
dkstr - the use of the oneshot to play the melody was great, really into the drones in the background to give it a vibe
sezare56 - this could have come straight from the soundtrack (but with more modern drum sounds). Special shoutout for using the same billionaire sample!
nionmu - very mellow, evolves nicely, could be the closing credits for a film!

Really enjoyed the whole thing, thanks @DimensionsTomorrow for organizing this one :peace_symbol:

12 Likes

@rockpapergoat (apparently I also used a few similar samples, blindly of course :content:)
@Dkstr
@simonbradford

Hard to choose again, had to listen several times, sorry I didn’t quote or comment, would be too long, not complete.
Have fun if you’re allowed too. :grimacing:

8 Likes

as everyone said, voting on this one was ridiculously difficult. everyone did a great job. i enjoyed all of your entries and want to comment on all but haven’t had time this week.

my top 3:

@FNKSTRNG - love the melodic bits, atmospheric feel, flow, song structure, movement

@Maisin - dark, ominous, loping, cinematic while still listenable, love the repetition and subtle variation

@Sleepyhead - can’t believe it’s just the rytm, classic feel, good mix, the essence of hip hop

honorable mention:

@DimensionsTomorrow - mono sounds great here, mix isn’t too busy, everything flows; i want a full song!

@new_drugs - this could be in a movie, nice grit, dig the melodic synth lines, sample placement is tasteful

@drrumble - awesome that it’s just DT, nice flow, samples all fit, feels glued together

@the_PMO - nice faster pace, glued together and gritty, i dig it

props to DimensionsTomorrow for running an awesome challenge.

10 Likes

@Dkstr

@Sleepyhead

@rockpapergoat

id elaborate more, but im having really bad muscle cramps…
Everyone did great, choosing was the hardest part. i almost considered drawing names from a hat and leaving it up to fate. But in the end decisions had to be made…
I had a great time and hats off to everyone involved. Looking forward to the next edition

10 Likes

Hi there,

just had a listen for the second time after some days. I really enjoyed all the variety and in the end it was personal taste and the best fit to the setting of the movie/trailer, that led to my decision.

Also HUGE thanks to all participants for the detailed feedback! Didn´t have enought time to write my thoughts down, but looking forward to the next battle.

Here is my voting:

1: @CCMP

2: @FNKSTRNG

3: @Maisin

11 Likes

In order:

@FNKSTRNG very effective minimalism on this beat. Couldn’t place the samples from my memory, which I am always a fan of. Finally, I couldn’t shake the feeling that EL-P would murder this beat and that most likely biased my opinion :blush:

@rockpapergoat loved the dub vibes. It carefully walked the line of nearly dubbing itself out of hiphop but just barely staying in lane.

@DimensionsTomorrow I liked how this had a few samples that were used in a couple other beats. I felt this was the most cohesive sounding, well thought out, and more unique usage of said samples.

Shout out to everyone else! It’s another stellar round of work!

8 Likes

As many other people pointed out, that was an incredibly hard battle to judge, and I like many others swapped names around in my list a number of times before settling on my top 3.

1. @new_drugs: OK, I have to admit that I went between not including this track in my top 3 at all and making it my number one pick. I almost didn’t include it because at the end of the day, it’s not really a hip hop track in the traditional sense, BUT new drugs noted this in his submission and I can really respect that sometimes the creation goes off in a certain direction when you are doing these kinds of projects and you have to just go with it. I think the song is really well crafted, and it’s like a masterclass in how to use a vocal hook. Great work!

2. @Boxymusic: I loved the use of the GI junkies sample against that bass line and guitar riff, and the drums are fantastic.

3. @the_PMO: I really love your style of beat making. You have a classic “white label” vibe that just resonates well with me. Bonus points for the studio tour. Really inspiring setup and work flow!

Special mentions go to drrumble, Sleepyhead, Yabba, Doug, and simonbradford.

There were a few tracks that were REALLY close to making my top three list, but just missed it due to sample pitch problems. I think one of the hardest things with being forced to mix different samples together like this is getting them to sit properly, and that’s one of the things I ended up deducting points for.

And with that, the WINNERS!

Number 1: @new_drugs
Number 2: @Yabba
Number 3: @Maisin and @rockpapergoat

(Somebody might want to double check my math as I’ve been running a pretty high fever from my second dose of Moderna, but I’m pretty sure this is the correct tally.)

So @new_drugs has the honor of organizing the next battle, choosing the theme, and picking the rules.

Thanks again everybody!

16 Likes