Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #16 :Voting and feedback

Yeah I’m the same in general, it’s just this time of year it tends to be difficult to say no.
I had the brilliant idea of not eating a proper meal first before drinking and intending to have just one or two then going home for food but that quickly went out the window, so it is purely my own stupid fault :joy:

2 Likes

I’m ready now too;

Winner: 11. This shit is just ridiculous.
The buildup, the scratching, the sample selection, the switchups, and most of all the feeling and atmosphere; “Everything is allright”

Runner up: 8. The radio tuning… The drop. The beat. The rhymes. Two classic flip reveals for the price of one. Is it our birthday?
2nd runner up: 1. It’s a great track, well arranged. Lighthearted and fun. It made me feel joy!

HM: 7. Man the delays and panning on the scratches made it so awesome!

5 Likes

Just as I expected, yall killed it again. Nice work! Hope to join you in the next one.

Sleepyhead and rockpapergoat are great at this. When I try, I write about vibe, my favorite part, and least favorite part, which I what I do for real reviews. (Also forces me not to be too self-critical, or I’d give myself away)

4 Likes

Great, now I know where to start my investigation, thanks :wink:

3 Likes

Just listened through, y’all knocked it out once again! Best beat battle on the internet

8 Likes

Haha cool you noticed this… I always try to be critical about my own track, but also write down something I like about it, to make sure people wont suspect which one is my own :joy:

We started out these battles without the blind voting, and I really liked the feedback part, so I’ll continue to give everyone some feedback (including myself, which has not been very positive lately…).

Listened to everything once, and I gotta agree with the other here: great job guys. I really love the originallity, the unique variations and all the movie dialogue. These last few battles sound like an experimental madlib album with more diversity in sound.

8 Likes

Superb set of beats. There were about 3 or 4 other tracks that I could easily put on the winners list. I reiterate that this might be the strongest field I’ve witnessed on here.

Winner: 3 Really nice reversed samples, such a great laid back energy, just the kind of thing I would like to make myself.

2nd: 11 This is absolutely superb Great vibe, perfectly blended components, tight scratching superb use of telling a story through vocal samples.

3rd: 5 Great, rhythm, drums sit in the mix nicely, good use of filters.

8 Likes

1 #3
Really nice, I look for elements that I find catchy and that vocal drop in was running through my head for a while afterwards so that’s my number one, and sick usage of main sample too

2 #11
Really good work, sounds very complicated and well made, I nearly voted it first but the catchy vocal from my
first choice is still going through my head as I write this so had to go with that one.
Love this a lot though

3 #5
Again really nice, like the mid 90s feel and the drums and sample together, good stuff!

And we’ll done the remaining beats there was was literally nothing I didn’t like, it’s always difficult to decide, my first choice was different yesterday and it may be different tomorrow and that’s testament to the quality you guys churn out.

8 Likes

1 : #10
Love your drums and the use of the stereo field. Funny voices, this track is very pleasant to my ears.
2 : #8
The radio sounds between parts is original, I love the first part more, lot of energy. Very well mixed, nothing too much, nothing missing.
3: #2
Also very well mixed, love that little melody running with the variations. Gritty drums with vinyl noises, I love it. I prefere the first part.

I love to listen the whole playlist. Good job all. :100:

9 Likes

my vote:
One: 8
Two: 3
Three: 4
i can’t comment much due to my english but all the sounds of the tape are dope cause it got characters

6 Likes

I‘ll vote this weekend. Have listened to everything twice but haven’t had the time to write something

5 Likes

Listened through everything a couple of times. Great work again guys! This battle has a very different sound to the ones before, which I like a lot.

Here’s my notes on every track:

1. Dope, very different sound, kind of reminds me of fatboy slim, like a cool, modern vibe.
  2. Some nice sounds and variations, but a bit too laid back for my taste.
  3. Love the intro, and how full this sounds. The flutes (?) and koto sound are great combined with the vocal bits.
  4. Very original, I like how you seem to break everything off every time it comes too close to landing on a certain groove.
  5. I think I know who did this one… great bounce, and nice variations with the vocal bits coming in.
  6. Haha nice sound at the beginning. This has a very nice madlib like weirdness going on. I can hear someone like Danny Brown rapping on this.
  7. Very menacing sound. Love the synthbass combined with the guitar. I like the way the drums and keys come in, just like track 1 this has a kind of modern coolness to it, which matches the battles theme very well.
  8. Cool intro with the radio stuff. The drums rock, and the main loop is dope. Nice chops and variations, overall very well produced track! The second part is nice, but I prefer the first part.
  9. Great drums, and atmosphere. Love the flute sound coming in in the second half. Nice mix as well.
  10. Dope reversed stuff here. The way the drums come in with the spooky sound is amazing. Kind of understated but menacing. Would love to hear GZA over this.
  11. Very energetic and hyped up intro. I like the oldschool drumbreak and horns combo. The variation at 0.45 is dope. Really admire the skill that went into this.

winner: 10
Runners up: 11, 8

H.M: 7

8 Likes

Winner: 3
For the melancholic atmosphere and creative chops. Love the vibe

Second: 8
Very creative use of samples. Classic feel. Great vibe

Third: 7
Really like the darker vibes here. Love the scratches and trip hop feeling. Could imagine Beth Gibbons to start singing.

HM:
2 for the chops and straight boom bap.
9 Great drums, great chops. Head starts nodding. Lovely guitar chops
11 very creative and nice variety

Great stuff again. Thankful for being part of this again

7 Likes

Looks like we’re just missing a vote from @rockpapergoat

1 Like

being called out by name feels worse than expected. it’s been busy at work, but i’ll vote tonight. thanks for the reminder!

No call out and no pressure. Just a friendly reminder in case you want to get your votes in.

We’re coming up on a week for voting so I thought we should wrap this up soon.

Take a little extra time if you need

2 Likes

okay, i’m glad the song limit was short and not a million people submitted beats. for purely selfish reasons, it made it easier to get through all the tracks a few times listening closely, so thanks.

this is yet another solid crop, folks. good work all! there was so much material. it was really interesting to hear how people used the sources. i honestly didn’t know what to expect despite having access to all the same source lists.

props, shout-outs, and wishing you all good health and happiness at the end of this year. thanks for being part of this community.

1. hypnotic marimba is cool. are those some beatbox drums or just effects? this has some big beat vibes. the chops and vocal snippets remind me of some early 90s electronic stuff. nice track.
  2. dusty, languid, shuffling first half segues into a little guitar driven jam. i kinda like the second half better here, but both are enjoyable. the sparseness of the later section hits me.
  3. ah, nice… i love some japanese vocal chops. dig the bass, drums, and strings. it’s a short ride with a nice bounce. very cool.
  4. some musical shout-outs! i thought this was going to turn into more of a groove, but it’s kind of a mega mix. this feels like an interlude mashup.
  5. damn, i’m trying to identify that snare. is it layered with a clap or slap? love the orchestral bits, horn chops. the interplay works really well. this one felt like a full track despite its brevity.
  6. nice and tubby. the distorted beat bounces around a bit in unexpected ways. track has a nice dancehall vibe. it felt a little repetitive
  7. ooh, very nice slow burn intro… those guitar chops are nice. simple murky bass line and drums just lurk at every turn. i like the atmosphere here… dark.
  8. hey, the radio! it brings me back to another lifetime ago. the beat’s nice and snappy. those little vocal chop flourishes are something i try to do every time and fail. they’re just right here. haha… and then the break down in the latter section. damn solid track.
  9. for once, i can’t muster a review of my hastily thrown together track.
  10. did we sample the same guitars? these are dustier. your track feels like a short meditation on these movies. i dig the motion here.
  11. good energy in the intro… this one takes us on a journey. i like how those shimmery background notes carry us through.

first: 8
second: 7
third: 5

8 Likes

These are all dope. Good job yall

5 Likes

I am very curious about who made what beat. Statistically number 8 should be yabba, as that has been my number one pick almost everytime :sunglasses:

I have a hunch about a couple of other ones as well.

Maybe we could add a sub battle to the next one “guess who” to see who can best match a beat to its maker :scream:

5 Likes

+3 pts to the most accurate guess ^^

3 Likes