Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #16 :Voting and feedback

As requested it is time for the reveal :drum:

Special thanks to @blaize for handling the upload

I haven’t listened to these yet so I am as excited as you all. Let’s take a few days to listen and let people vote, so no real deadline we’ll call it when all the votes are in but if it takes anyone over a week we’ll just call it

Vote for your top 3

Calculations will be

3 points for first place
2points for second
1 for third

Big thanks to everyone who submitted, and please leave feedback if you have the time

12 Likes

Holy shit. For me personally, this will be an extremely difficult vote. I actually feel kind of intimidated by the overall quality of this one.

“Ah, another Elektronauts beat battle. The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast”

3 Likes

You aren’t kidding, the standard seems to have gone up even further this time!

4 Likes

I haven’t listen yet, but this is a good sign. It means that these battles are serving a great purpose for people like me that are trying to learn and improve.

There have been some killer tracks in the last couple rounds for sure.

I know in previous battles I have thought I got something that sounded alright, and hearing it in context with the other tracks realized it did not hold up well. This just pushed me to keep going, not really trying to compete with the other tracks, but just trying to best myself and keep trying something new

Uping the standard speaks that this experience is paying off. Difficult votes can it make so hard to choose but also means people are really liking multiple tracks so much that they have a hard time deciding, which is great.

It’s also nice to see how many different people’s tracks get votes showing that subtle to extreme stylistic variation reflects an eclectic taste not just amongst the creators but also the listeners

Listening to what everyone brings to the table here is one of my favorite parts and for me is as fun as making the tracks

on a personal note

I really like how this gets me to actually finish something, even when I have to rush it out. Its been nice to just commit and not judge myself too harshly and let it be what it is even when I know it could be better -I would want to keep improving it and know I am not completely happy with what I made, but I am so happy to have actually made something, rough edges and all. This is not my personality at all so this is still feeling like a new experience and I think it’s really good for me.

I hope everyone here is getting the same kind of joy that I am from these battles

9 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. The combination of the hip-hop spirit in this community, combined with the stunning talent and commitmment that is displayed in these battles is really inspiring for me as a beginning producer.

I wrote before that the quality of the tracks feels somewhat intimidating, and I mean that in the best way possible. Like you, it pushes me to up my game and looking back on the previous battles, I really feel like I am making progress and learning things from battle to battle. Not only by working on things myself, but also by truly listening to others’ work.

I’ve been playing around with music production since a year or two now (not counting the noodles I made in “fruity loops” when it first came out) and these battles are actually the only thing that really helped me to commit to something and “finish” stuff.

In that sense, I always feel a sense of dopamine joy when people mention “my” track in a HM or even the occasional vote, but the creative process, the learning aspect and this community are the what make these battles really special for me.

8 Likes

What a playlist, I’m ready to vote…:facepunch:

1st place track 11, man I have serious beat envy, whoever did this has the gazillion ear for sure, he or she found the nuggets inside the nugget and it felt like being schooled to me… in the best possible way…

2nd track 8, loved the beats and sample selection and the radio station concept for the track was an inspired idea kudos…

3rd track 3, again lovely sample choices, tight mix, hard to fault your skills

Another fantastic job everyone :+1:

8 Likes

Not done voting yet, but one of the tracks gets at least a honorable mention for putting this image in my head :rofl:

6 Likes

Damm you killed it, so cinematography

3 Likes

Actual lol

1 Like

@blaize and @1-2 great job on the battle! Maybe consider tagging everyone who submitted in a post, to avoid someone missing this thread, I noticed this by accident.

I do agree the quality keeps going up… I’m very glad I managed to win a couple of these battles before, because I seriously wonder if I can ever make the top 3 again with the level of quality on display these last couple of battles :joy:

6 Likes

That’s amazing!

2 Likes

listening right now. These tracks totally nail my taste. Enjoying it so much

2 Likes

I was going to tag everyone, but I don’t even know who all submitted a beat.

If @blaize or anyone else knows who is missing please feel free to tag them

2 Likes

Ok, here we go.

Winner: 8 This is not just a great beat, but a great track overall. The way the different sections flow into each other, the sample selection, The radio transitions and all of hat topped off with some great Tarantino inspired vocals. Worthy of a release. Also love the bassline that comes in later.

Runner up: 5 Great harmonics, samples and arrangement working together to create an epic feeling. This was very close to my number one pick. The thing that made me go for the other track was that the highend felt a little crowded to my ears. This probably my problem though, as my ears are very sensitive to that (probably because of an overload of the high pitched sounds my children produce all day… )

Second Runner up: 9 Love the layering and timing of the drums. And they are punchy! The flute sample was great (a bit loud for my taste). The swoosh sounds also really adds to the energy. And the stuttering drums with that funny sample at the end. Love it.

HM: 1 Love that phaser like sound on the drums, also great mixing of dialogue. Especially love the “like a ninja” mangling. Great B section with that growling bass.**

I’ve got notes on all tracks, but will share them later as to not give away what my own entry is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s smart!

1 Like

Voting time :fire:

@Unifono
@Sleepyhead
@flipinfantile
@Yabba
@monquixote
@Leptic
@Symian
@rockpapergoat
@1-2
@Jedilicious

4 Likes

I’ve had to do this in previous battles, I have notes for all the tracks but only put out some so I don’t give my track away as the only one missing, I’m not sure how some people slyly leave a comment on their own track in the list - I wouldn’t know what to say

it would also be fun to go back and read what people say about themselves to learn that sneaky skill!

1 Like

Nice work all :slightly_smiling_face:
I’ll give my vote tomorrow evening, I’ve spent the day with an office party hangover from hell spent partly praying to the porcelain god of the bathroom and I need to give the beats my full appreciation when I’m feeling human again and can take sounds louder than 1 decibel

4 Likes

One of the many reasons I only drink sparingly now… that and the two toddlers that would probably make that layer of hell even hotter for me… a stiff peanut butter on toast always used to take the edge off when I did binge though…

1 Like