Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #14: The Wu-Tang Edition

Appreciate it, will do!

1 Like

I promise nothing :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ha - this is such a perfect comment. Sometimes the timing of the loops is so far off, especially when he pitches them down to make variations in the melody, that it probably ought to be frustrating in theory but it just adds to the beauty

4 Likes

Hi guys! I tried to do something last week but I wasn’t happy with my beat…and finally I didn’t find time to try again.
I will not be with you on this one, I regret it because I’m a big wu fan… can’t wait to ear what u all did !

4 Likes

Are you one of the two clicks on the counter mate? :joy:

I managed to get something in for this one. It’s been a while! Super rushed and messy and prob sounds like shit but fun making something new again. I’m sure I was seeing Wu ‘W’s’ in the waveforms.

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s!

3 Likes

Nah I was a good boy and kept my curiosity in check…:+1:

2 Likes

Haha I didn’t download it yet so someone’s cheating here :eyes:

1 Like

da mystery of threadboxin

5 Likes

This is where the secret sauce is with hip hop production. It’s all about the lyrics. I remember how hyped up I was when Pete Rock released an album of just instrumentals, and got so bored listening to it because I realized without the message it’s just a beat on repeat

2 Likes

I intended to put an acapella on mine for this reason. Beats designed to be instrumental are obviously, by necessity, not the same as beats for emcees. Ultimately I didn’t manage to find as much time as I hoped to so making it last minute on Koala meant that I had no chance of making an acapella work, alas. Might still do it for fun when I find the time

1 Like

what?? Petestrumentals is up there with my favorite albums of all time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Haha Petestrumentals is one of my favs too, but I get the point about hiphop instrumentals often being made as a (repetative) framework for mc’s.

RZA made some great soundtracks which very much work on their own though. Ghost Dog has one of my favorite soundtracks ever:

5 Likes

In many ways that Ghostdog score is one of my favourite things RZA has done. It’s definitely (comfortably) my favourite thing he’s done solo.

Edit: and while I’m here I have to admit I wasn’t a fan of Petestrumentals either. Some tracks work really nicely in mix sets but there’s just not enough going on for me without emcees on top of it

2 Likes

It’s an awesome soundtrack and fits the film perfectly.

3 Likes

Winds me up a bit that it was Japan only and the regular release was a pretty tepid rap compilation instead.

2 Likes

If you haven’t watched Hulu’s Wu-Tang an American Saga, you are in for a treat. It’s not flawless, but it’s pretty entertaining. One of the best episodes is described in the youtube video below. I’m pretty sure everyone on this thread would appreciate this episode in its entirety. It is perhaps my favorites of the series.

1 Like

Watched it all and patiently waiting for season 3, the wu docu of mics and men is also a very good watch for all wu fans…

3 Likes

Just realised I’ve sent the wrong version out of my four attempts at mastering :joy:

But I’ll stick with it for better or for worse

1 Like

The voting and feedback thread is up!

2 Likes

me too :slight_smile: Love the vibes of Petestrumentals so much, but it wouldn’t have hurt if all tracks had half the length.

1 Like