Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #2 - Escape from New York edition

Ok this is the first one (messed up with the previous message, sorry)

Samples from:

@DimensionsTomorrow Soundtrack Track 8 (Percussion and one chord)
@DimensionsTomorrow Soundtrack Track 6 (Riff + oneshot for sampler to play melody)
@Doug Gong - Master Builder (drone/chant stuff)
@Affectionate-Bee-781 Newport In New York (bongo type of percussion in the end)
@PekeDorty Escape From…deleted Original Opening (Vocals + synth layer)
@Fin25 Fabio Frizzi - Sequenza… (guitar oneshot)
@Buska - Bo Hansson - Leaving Shire (drone)
@rockpapergoat - Alan Parker - Blue Shadow (Piano melody)

+kick and snare sample, and Ableton Live Simpler + bass synth, all done in Ableton Live (still sort of organising my hardware after moving to new place)

10 Likes

So much good stuff in here already! I managed to get something done, thanks everyone for the samples and encouragement.

I decided this time to only use the samples, so there are no external sounds, loops, one shots or anything. It’s all done in straight in the digitakt and tracker with just a little bit of EQing in the final mix. No overdubs, recorded in one take.

I used a load of samples for this one. The main beat is from @NeonMelk’s sample. I used 4 of the 5 Escape From NY samples in one way or another, including cut up drums for the second beat. Theres a couple of bits from @Doug’s awesome track, bits from @Fin25s (I think) @Buska’s @rockpapergoat @TheGhostCat @new_drugs @Stupid_zen and the whole track was built around a section at the end of @kuroichi’s (so beware some rather fruity language). I think there might be more - I sort of lost track… They’re all sampled straight into the machines - I kinda wish one of the two boxes had a parametric EQ in there somewhere, but hey ho - embrace the muddy bottom end. Also for some reason the video is kinda janky - not sure why, but it’s only 720p. I had the camera on the wrong setting and couldn’t bring myself to redo it!

12 Likes

Hi all. Been very busy but I could record something. No time to work on it more.
I used @DimensionsTomorrow tracks 6 and 8 and @PekeDorty’s.
Octatrack only.

(Added word to quote)

10 Likes

goddamn, thats great!
nice work!

1 Like

hey, i had almost no time for this, but just managed to record this. it is very rough and i spent like 2 hours on it on the rytm mk1. i think it is more like chillhop maybe :upside_down_face: sampled on pc and transfered via elektron transfer. will listen to all the others now. already heard very cool sounds…

9 Likes

Thank you kindly…

@sezare56 I’m going to move everything to a new voting thread in a few hours. I’m not sure if I can copy over audio posted directly.

If it is possible could someone let me know. If not, could you provide a link to the audio that I can copy to the voting thread?

You should be able to download it and upload to the new topic. If it’s successfully been uploaded directly to the site, the file shouldn’t be too big.

2 Likes

Cool. Will do.

You should be able to copy the link.
Eventually quote my post to show the link code and copy it.

1 Like

It works. You can answer my post, quote it and copy the link…

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

OK. Let the voting begin! (Link to new thread below)

@Doug
@Affectionate-Bee-781
@Yabba
@Sleepyhead
@Buska
@Maisin
@sezare56
@Kpucski
@simonbradford
@rockpapergoat

@the_PMO
@Boxymusic
@FNKSTRNG
@new_drugs
@drrumble
@nionmu
@ViolentMeals
@CCMP
@kuroichi
@Dkstr

2 Likes

@Buska

We need your top three for the vote.

Noooo haha. Oh god

Sorry, also please vote in the other thread.

1 Like

Sorry :man_facepalming:

1 Like

man, it’s been a busy week at work. i’m listening to all the entries right now.

goddamn, people.

you are not making voting easy at all. i tried a scoring system based on

• use of samples
  • flow/listenability
  • polish/production

this is not helping me. will cast my vote in the other thread.

1 Like