Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #2 - Escape from New York edition

Like @TheGhostCat, a lot of time spent on Endor, struggled to properly manage time on the project, I hope to organize myself better for the next.
Here is my contribution, the sample in addition to that of @DimensionsTomorrow
is that of @rockpapergoat.
I await tomorrow evening the moment to sit down and listen to everyone with great pleasure.

11 Likes

(Insert string of excuses as to why this sounds the way it does)
(then insert crying baby emoji)

Its rough! Its here! Its my entry!
I used one of @DimensionsTomorrow samples, i dont remember which number.
I used the track we ALL wanted to sample because it was so fucking great, from @rockpapergoat
I programmed drums on DT using some Matt Chamberlain one shots
Samples were used and abused in Octatrack.
run into a Tascam DR-05X on a live recording and sent to the interwebs.
No mastering.
not too much mixing…
(im pretty deaf anyhow)
I had a great time and feel good about being a part of the whole thing. The entries so far are all great! stoked to hear them all and give em all a good hard listen again.

12 Likes

Here’s mine.
I used a bass note from track 3 of the Escape Soundtrack.
The synth intro from track 6

For the main samples I used ones uploaded by @Sherelle and @Kpucski
I also used a couple of vocal snatches from @Kuroichi.

I used Digitakt only, aside from normalising on computer.

Looking forward to listening through everyone’s beats over the next couple of days :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

So my track was uploaded for a brief time…and now it is not anymore.
Long story short : I can’t upload something that i found so weak it makes my ears vomit streams of self loathing with a turd on top.

Also, a vast majority of the entries really taught me i should have worked harder !

So I quit with the appropriate amount of shame ( which is not a biggie so that’s cool )
Congratulations to you all and thanks for the lesson !

5 Likes

This is perfect! Want to ear that with a 2Pac acapella !

1 Like

I didn’t get a chance to hear your track yet, but no shame at all. This is all just for fun and an excuse to sit down and work on a project, which you did even if it didn’t live up to your expectations. Sometimes these things come together easily and sometimes they don’t. I get it though, we are all usually our worst critics and I’ve been there myself. Hope you come out for the next one and if you change your mind, throw your beat back up so you can vote. About 24-hours or so left to post.

7 Likes

Ok I am late, work and life got in the way this week and thought I would have more time.
I did a recording to a zoom, just live jam on the DT into a zoom recorder. Pretty sloppy :smiley:

I used the " Escape From New York Soundtrack Track 6. “Arrival at the Library” John Carpenter Alan Howarth" from @DimensionsTomorrow and the " ALAN PARKER - Blue shadow" from @rockpapergoat.

Awesome tunes from everyone, hopefully next one I will get more time to work on it
Was fun to sit down and make a beat, been too long!

10 Likes

Kept mine quite simple as I honestly struggle to make any music nowadays.

Samples were:
@DimensionsTomorrow - The president at the Train
@Fin25 - Fabio Frizzi’s Sequenza Ritmica… (Obvious really, but I liked the loop)
@TheGhostCat - Intro vocal snip was from somewhere in the video

Drums and some filtering etc added in, did everything in the SP16.
edit. made a Soundcloud because I couldn’t get any audio to play…

16 Likes

So I’ve discovered that I can’t make hip-hop, or use my Octatrack for sampling.
My attempt at this challenge ended in me calling my Octatrack something that would get even Billie Eilish cancelled before deleting the project so no more human ears were made to suffer.

Now most of you know how gladly I’ll share a stinking turd of a track on here, so this should give you some indication of how absolutely dreadful my “track” was.

I’d say sorry, but you all should be grateful really.

10 Likes

Ok, skin of my teeth, and I’m not going to talk it down (it’d take me too long!), I’ll just submit it. :sunglasses:

I used the 3rd track from @DimensionsTomorrow.
Other providers of samples I used were- @PekeDorty @Sherelle @TheGhostCat @simonbradford

This was the third of four tracks I started for this battle, and it’s probably the simplest of them.
Anyway, learnt a sht load doing this and realise I have a sht load to learn!

10 Likes

Yes, the “self worst critic” equation is real, but the track was not worth the initial idea.
I wanted to make kind of an audio collage/movie recap with bits of dialogue but i was very late on the first draft.

On top of that, i was already reaching the 6 minutes lenght for half the “scenario” of the track so i tried to make a shorter/simpler version out of this, but it ended poorly with a confused proposition.

But yeah, all is cool and there was no walk of shame involved.
I just ate more Tiramisu than usual.

Entries people posted are more motivation to do better than anything else.

3 Likes

-this can be deleted-

And second one as bonus, different style… could not honestly choose which I like more

@DimensionsTomorrow Soundtrack Track 8 (Lots of small cuts and percussion)
@DimensionsTomorrow Soundtrack Track 6 (Riff + percussion)
@Affectionate-Bee-781 Newport In New York (metallic type of percussion)

Looking forward to listen to everybodys entries!

4 Likes

oh the humanity!

2 Likes

Ok this is the first one (messed up with the previous message, sorry)

Samples from:

@DimensionsTomorrow Soundtrack Track 8 (Percussion and one chord)
@DimensionsTomorrow Soundtrack Track 6 (Riff + oneshot for sampler to play melody)
@Doug Gong - Master Builder (drone/chant stuff)
@Affectionate-Bee-781 Newport In New York (bongo type of percussion in the end)
@PekeDorty Escape From…deleted Original Opening (Vocals + synth layer)
@Fin25 Fabio Frizzi - Sequenza… (guitar oneshot)
@Buska - Bo Hansson - Leaving Shire (drone)
@rockpapergoat - Alan Parker - Blue Shadow (Piano melody)

+kick and snare sample, and Ableton Live Simpler + bass synth, all done in Ableton Live (still sort of organising my hardware after moving to new place)

10 Likes

So much good stuff in here already! I managed to get something done, thanks everyone for the samples and encouragement.

I decided this time to only use the samples, so there are no external sounds, loops, one shots or anything. It’s all done in straight in the digitakt and tracker with just a little bit of EQing in the final mix. No overdubs, recorded in one take.

I used a load of samples for this one. The main beat is from @NeonMelk’s sample. I used 4 of the 5 Escape From NY samples in one way or another, including cut up drums for the second beat. Theres a couple of bits from @Doug’s awesome track, bits from @Fin25s (I think) @Buska’s @rockpapergoat @TheGhostCat @new_drugs @Stupid_zen and the whole track was built around a section at the end of @kuroichi’s (so beware some rather fruity language). I think there might be more - I sort of lost track… They’re all sampled straight into the machines - I kinda wish one of the two boxes had a parametric EQ in there somewhere, but hey ho - embrace the muddy bottom end. Also for some reason the video is kinda janky - not sure why, but it’s only 720p. I had the camera on the wrong setting and couldn’t bring myself to redo it!

12 Likes

Hi all. Been very busy but I could record something. No time to work on it more.
I used @DimensionsTomorrow tracks 6 and 8 and @PekeDorty’s.
Octatrack only.

(Added word to quote)

10 Likes

goddamn, thats great!
nice work!

1 Like

hey, i had almost no time for this, but just managed to record this. it is very rough and i spent like 2 hours on it on the rytm mk1. i think it is more like chillhop maybe :upside_down_face: sampled on pc and transfered via elektron transfer. will listen to all the others now. already heard very cool sounds…

9 Likes

Thank you kindly…