Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #11 Goodfellas Voting and feedback

+1 gangsta points for @rockpapergoat :rofl:

3 Likes

haha… yes, i critiqued my own, but it was not 15. i see you, @Sleepyhead! :rofl:

8 Likes

If i made the beat i prefer, i got no regrets to put it number one but it is not the case by far :joy:

Just barely squeezing my vote in here :joy:

First: #12

Second: #5

Third: #13

There was soooo much heat this round that it made it hard to pick :joy: the hip-hop energy is overflowing in these tracks

6 Likes

Good morning, we have our results…

First place, and boss over everybody is number 5

Second place, and always remembers to stir the Tomato Sauce is number 7

Third place and currently hanging up in a freezer is number 10

Right, I’m going to stop making crap Goodfellas jokes now and I’ll leave it
to @Sleepyhead to reveal who made which beat on Soundcloud. :smiley:

9 Likes

I did what the boss commanded and added the names. Let me know if I messed anything up accidentally btw… Great battle guys! Congrats to @Doug for the well deserved win! Hope you feel better already!

Final battle results:

1. Doug (no. 5) :tada:
  2. Sleepyhead (no. 7)
  3. Yabba (no. 10)
13 Likes

I’ll take over Yabba’s job of making bad maffia jokes:

Doug will be crowned capo di tutti capi within the organisation (of the next battle).

9 Likes

Congrats @Doug well deserved…:pray:

I’m gonna break cover and reveal myself for number 15, the main sample was the opening riff of the rolling stones track monkey man, heavily filtered and played pitched in serato sample, drums were courtesy of beat butcha, chopped and played in sample again and the vocal was a YouTube rip.

In some respects I wish I’d embellished it a bit more but at the same time I didn’t want to swamp or detract from the vocal, I’ve never been a Biggie fan but the more I listened to it the greater my appreciation for his flow and story telling ability grew…

Here’s the track in full…

8 Likes

Well done @Doug much deserved win.
And everyone else without exception for a very enjoyable listen.

Personally I sampled this, I used the guitar intro and slowed it down and messed with it and also layered it with the same sample pitch shifted and tuned. And also used elements of the string breakdown and a very small vocal chop.
I used Ableton for the first time in the battles instead of Digitakt

5 Likes

Nice one @Doug that is a worthy win, super polished, dope beat!

Thanks to @Yabba @Sleepyhead @Symian for organising, was a lot of fun

6 Likes

nice battle, i sampled the moonglows sincerely with a few extra sounds from other tunes. decided to ultra squash final mix onto a distressed cassette in some kind of worn nostalgic tribute to era i first saw goodfellas. probably a mistake as languid mess of a mix.

5 Likes

Congrats to the winners! Well deserved. These three stood out the most to me.

5 Likes

Congrats everyone! Very well deserved, these were my favorites among an overall collection of great beats.

I have to admit that I feel way to honored about getting some votes. That’s a big personal win for me. Makes me feel half-gangster. But as we all know: ain’t no such thing as halfway crooks :sunglasses:

I sampled The Shangri-Las - Walking in the sand and played around live with the OT. For drums, I used a chopped up and rearranged drum-loop from some Noiiz sample pack and tried to make it more punchy by using the OT Dj EQ.

Recorded in one take. Forgot to play in the bass-line, but well, that’s something for next time :joy:

5 Likes

Congratulations!

Here’s a fun detail about my beat: it is all from that singular Ray Liotta speech sample. Drums, drone, synth sounds. Lotsa filtering, chopping and some fx work. Was a fun challenge!

6 Likes

Damnnn great job on the sample… I know this song of course and consider it one of the defining songs of the movie, but I still had no idea this is what you used for the main beat. Makes your track even better than I thought it was.

Same goes for @FNKSTRNG, it’s amazing how much you managed to make out of that source material!

5 Likes

Thanks man I appreciate that.
When I work on Ableton I use a lot of timestretching and pitch shifting to tune things up, which I kind of missed using Digitakt so I really made up for it by using loads of it haha, that’s the first beat I made with Ableton for about three years.

Looking forward to the breakdown of yours and hope everyone posts what they used

In fact I made four beats three of which I didn’t finish but I’ll post some small snippets of them

3 Likes

This was the worst one, so a small snippet I got bored of it really quickly and I didn’t know where I was going with it :joy:

3 Likes

Here’s some background on my beat:

For this beat I used my new favorite setup of ARmk2 and sp404mk2 working as a dynamic duo. I sampled everything into the sp for chopping, did drums, bass and sequencing in the AR, sampled the sp chops into the AR for saving purposes and then bounced the final beat through the sp for some compression and fx. I love this workflow cause it gives me the best of both worlds.

I used only 1 sample from the soundtrack, I chopped up some mandalin and used a vocal bit from this song:

The ‘yeah’ sound which to me sounds like a rapper is actually Ray Liotta himself btw.

Added a Sean Price acapella to finish it up, and added the intro because it matched sean price introducing himself in the acapella and I could just see him sitting there with all the italian guys in the bar.

5 Likes

sounds great too

2 Likes

That’s really well constructed what you achieved with it, I actually used the same bit from the film as you in one beat but made a beat out of the same tune playing in the background to go along with it, so I’m glad I didn’t finish that one because you absolutely smashed it using that as the intro.
Seems like most of us used a different song which is great

2 Likes