Elektronauts Hip Hop battle 24 - Results

Pick you top3

1st place - 3pts
2nd place - 2pts
3rd place - 1pt

Only participants may vote

Everyone is encouraged to leave any comments and feedback, especially some of the regualr HipHop crew who weren’t able to make it this round

Since the entry was extended and we don’t have a big number of submissions to go through get your votes in quickly if possible so we can pass it to the next battle

Thanks to everyone who participated
Thanks to @Ooly for co-hosting and wrangling the playlist

Can’t wait to hear some fresh tracks

7 Likes

I really appreciate the mysterious mod magic that fixed the sc list being cut in half

1 Like

Not entirely through yet, but I appreciate how the energy of these tracks is so very different from most of the previous battles, like wtf where did we end up this time…:joy:

Also great job on the album cover, placing mr. zimma in a cloud of smoke, very appropriate!

6 Likes

Well I’ve just realised I’ve sent the wrong version of mine :joy:
It’s pretty much the same only a slight difference and levelled differently, it’s not the first time I’ve done that either.

Some nice stuff by you guys as always, having a skip through while out on a walk but I’ll vote over the weekend.

Cheers to @1-2 and @Ooly for taking time to host

5 Likes

Were you guys seriously just waiting on me? I feel so bad now :man_facepalming:
Excited to have a listen to this playlist and there is already some crazy drum work going on. Already looking at Track 8 :fire: honestly struggled with this one and it very much lived up to the challenge aspect, but it was a great learning experience as always and I had to dust off some old slice “extra” work that was starting to get rusty, and I appreciate that aspect of this gathering, tremendously.

Thank you for having me @1-2 and @Ooly, and sincere apologies for the hold up @everyone! :beers:

6 Likes

This one wasn’t easy…

1st - #08
That bass line… sick! with that beat… reminds me Cypress Hill. Love it! A lot of space, nice transitions, very musical, I like the story it tells. Seriously, when I hear this one, I said to me… ok, it will be hard to stand out.

2nd - #04
This one follow closely the #8. Great job, I like the opening with the strings and dialogues. And it goes for something brighter, then switch to something darker with that “horn” crescendo, my favorite part, with the little break with strings in the middle of that. Wow!

3rd - #03
Great (unusual) rhythm part, I really like the ambiance of this one, super background mood, with the strings part over it. Nice progressions in this track, instant trip for sure!

Glad to have co-hosted this battle with @1-2!

6 Likes

6 and 8 are dope bangers, not valid votes. just an observer here, but great vibes all round.

i jsut went to to check some old battles… and they’re gone. sadness. miss that madness.
is there an archive anywhere!?

@flipinfantile yeah but 10Mb limit means some hero has to host a gdrive folder :wink:

5 Likes

Agree it’s a shame. Maybe we could upload a zip file with all the entries in the forum thread itself for future reference from now on?

@waftlord 10mb limit per thread or per post?

Another suggestion could be that each contestant uploads an mp3 of their own track after the reveal, along with the production notes?

2 Likes
  • :8ball: Honourable mention: Beat #7 - I like the funky elements lying underneath getting revealed. A bit jerky and reminds me of Prefuse 73 (Uprock and Vocal Narratives?). Levels were a bit hot but otherwise, great direction!

• :earth_africa: 3rd place: Beat #6 - The textures are great here. Subtle and it rolls out the perfect canvas for those sound clips from Interstellar (?) to float down to us. Felt like this beatmaker had something to say. Thank you. “This world isn’t so bad”

• :sunglasses: 2nd place: Beat #8 That opening bassline got me into the mood right away for some Diamond D type creation. Nice use of scratching and break downs. The patterns were complex but still flowed.

• :space_invader: 1st place: Beat #3 I just love listening to this one. The driving beat with the cowbells slides nicely into the background for those insane violins solos to just go off. The synth stabs. As I stare into the spaced out cover of BB24 on Soundcloud, this track catches the essence for me - although perhaps not the most technical, it’s making a statement.

Thanks for the chance to do this battle and keep it spacey.

6 Likes

:robot: #5, 3 points i liked the tazmanian devil style percussion/drum programming a lot on this one

:space_invader: #4, 2 points. Kinda soulful sample selection, nice

:alien: #8, 1 point, best bassline of the bunch

5 Likes

Sorry I should have done this yesterday…

1st
#6 that’s the one for me, a great mood and a loungy beat, nice feel to it

2nd
#7 very inventive, a great beat like the sound that sounds a bit like a Rhodes but I think is a filtered guitar

3rd
love the way the violin sample is being worked and great all round beat

Enjoyed all those, well done everyone
:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

This was a hard battle for me. Hard to make, hard to critique, hard to pick and order. But challenge is good. Thanks again @1-2 and @Ooly for hosting, and kudos to the rest of the crew

1st: 6
2nd: 4
3rd: 8
HM: 7

Full Notes
1: I like the Caribbean theme here, high drums and laid-back groove, and I really like the filter env on the True Lies sample about a minute in. The dubby stuttery breakdown at the end fits the theme but is a bit too chaotic for my taste
2: Man, when the main drums kick in on this beat, it’s everything. The Davy Jones bit is a great hook, drums pop just right, killer work! I’m less in love with the transition to the B-section, although it ends up in a good heavy place, and I really like the celesta/hats transition back
3: Between the drums and the skitchy violin, this has me ready for a brawl! I really like how this stomps and swings, and that first hook is catchy. The drums get kinda boomy and harsh, and the B-section feels a little disconnected from the rest of the beat.
4: What a great beat trio: dark and soulful, bouncing swagger, and smooth but whimsical. The drums do a great job bridging all of these together, and I love the snap of that snare. Lots of great touches touches throughout (especially that fading echo on the horn crescendo in part 2). Nice work!
5: Lots of great sounds weaving through this one, from the warm panned violins to the fast drum sections to the forment bass and that rising modulated echo hit. The organ vamp kind of hurts the momentum for me, but otherwise, a great pair or grooves playing off each other
6: Deceptively spare nocturnal beat that knows exactly when to tweak the recipe every time to keep me hooked. The first section with the the back-and-forth celesta is magic. Will be pulling out the notebook for this one
7: This took a couple listens to get past the metallic shell, but I’m glad I did. Grooves getting passed around and developed between layers, sweet guitar licks against heavy clangs, and that steady kick-snare like a drummer in the hurricane’s eye. Nice work!
8: Another fun triptych, with the extra space giving it the loose energy of a DJ at a three-way rap battle. More praise for the bass and scratching of course, but also the smooth mood shifts throughout

5 Likes

|||1ST||| - 8 - That bassline in the beginning is captivating, but the second half caused me to dust off the old neck brace. So many bobbers laced all throughout this jam :1st_place_medal:

|||2ND||| - 4 - This is like walking down several dark alleyways represented by a song, in a good way. That “let it breathe” drop is amazing :2nd_place_medal:

|||3RD||| - 6 - The way you made that bass half reverse at the middle and the buildup/ transition to the second half is done so gracefully leading into the lovely close :3rd_place_medal:

:beach_umbrella: :penguin: :3lektron: HM’s :3lektron: :penguin: :beach_umbrella:

Track 1 - Sweet intro to this playlist and enjoy the pleasant vacation vibes on this one :beers:

Track 2 - Excellent job on how you chopped those bells, the beat/bells combo is candy and has a really sticky/catchy nature the way you pieced everything together :beers:

Track 3 - This jam feels like a war chant and has a lot of big energy, awesome beat :beers:

Track 5 - Tasty delays on here and this track sounds like a dope dub groove :beers:

Track 7 - Well I’m sorry to disappoint you but you’re gonna live to enjoy all the glorious fruits life has got to offer - acne, shaving, premature ejaculation… and your first divorce. :beers:

5 Likes

Oddly specific :joy:

3 Likes

@flipinfantile it’s a line from one of the greatest movies ever made :tongue:

2 Likes

:ringer_planet: 1st> numba 6 - Overall vibe. The cuts on the bell melody- jumping intervals of intriguing beauty and the way the bass played off it so nicely. The Space, the use of noise in a sizzling snare trail and the delayed bursts, the snap on the drums, the laid back hats, the little pauses, A lot to like here. I especially enjoyed the build up in the middle and what really set it off for me was the bass progression in the 2nd half (top notch, seriously that bass line movement felt SO good) Funky chill 101

:satellite: 2nd> numba 5 - Percussion on this was bliss in tone/rhythm and paried up with the rushing hats so well. Env filtered bass yeoowph sound and drawn out synth bass bass droning and dipping was a great unique stand out touch. Props for smoothly fitting in the Davy Jones organ as well

:lion: 3rd > numba 4 - the lion king samples were put to good use here, intresting choice and was propably tricky to fit in but was skillfully pulled off. Transition into 2nd half was great, esp with the use of Dialouge. Deep bass line and the rhythmic use of the bass was well played

I want to mention Track#7/aggressive cymbals and sounds sharply cutting in felt dominating but the filtered melody that comes in around the 30s mark was soooo sweet, it just felt a little buried to me but really had something magical going on

Now to solve the mystery of how many tracks sampled Sherlock Holmes

5 Likes

Agreed an interesting unconscious shift in the collective

Agreed, same here and maybe that was part of the shift in sound we got on this round

Yeah for sure. A lot of people really threw it down on the drum side of things this round. Track #3 was particularly wild

Now that I have voted and can read all the comments in detail without influence I just wanted to highlight a couple of my favorite descriptors here

Ha, yes. Spot on :tornado: :drum:

Linguistically painting in metophoric accuracy of keen observations

I couldn’t put it to specificness but you nailed it

Overall the way with words you all had in the track analysis made me smile and it also spoke the truth, keep this going in future battles- I love the feedback here

And

Nah, there was at least one other track plus I was still trying to manage to get mine together in the last stretch and we were hoping @eerieacid would come through or any additional late join in because it is more fun with more numbers

So we ended up with a decent number of tracks and although it wasn’t too many I thought they were all pretty interesting. I am very appreciative of everyone who took the time to take part in this and bring all the unique flavors

6 Likes

1-Track 8, very cinematic :wink:

2- Track 6, has a great vibe and very well mixed

3- track 2, main sample is hypnotic.

6 Likes

:3lektron: :postal_horn: Here is the result of the 24th Hip Hop battle :trophy: :3lektron:
(please check my math to be sure)

:1st_place_medal: @1-2 & @Ooly

:2nd_place_medal: @Yabba

:3rd_place_medal: @sleepside & @malus_mons

A warm thanks to everyone involved in this! Great to be part of it as well. And once again, happy to have co-hosted this one with @1-2.

EDIT: Please tell us the samples used and your manufacturing secrets.

8 Likes

Congrats to all the winners! :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader:

4 Likes