Elektronauts (Forum Members) Record Label

The idea is very interesting! I’d be willing to offer free mastering for this (mixing and mastering is my day-job), dependent on the size and frequency of releases.

14 Likes

Hero!

1 Like

Sounds cool

1 Like

I could be willing to donate some mastering time if you need help with that aspect assuming a reasonable number of tracks and release schedule. If you want to donate all proceeds that’s great… I’m not looking for anything myself, but I’m not opposed to artists getting compensated for their art either. Just something to consider.

I can tell you from experience that the vinyl releases will be very tricky to recover the costs – there’s just no way around it. For that, I’d consider something like Qrates (https://qrates.com/) where you can do crowd funding and only proceed if a certain goal is met. At least that way you know there’s at least a break even point if not some amount of proceeds.

Edit: I see @fowlscience beat me to the punch. Kudos.

7 Likes

This sounds like a good idea. Way back in the early 00’s on a certain messageboard we use to do this all the time just for fun, we even did a special Dilla tribute for his birthday.

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea. Good concept and excellent use of the talent and experience pool of the great people populating this forum.
I’ll wait to throw my hat into the ring until I see where it most needs to be thrown but I’m down to help in some capacity.
I can contribute sound, visual art, and whatever experience is applicable from having been a part of a few different collectively run labels that always gave all of their money away in the past.
And if there’s a need for a tangible element (shifting a few boxes of physical media, repairing a tape duplicator, etc) I’m in the far northwestern corner of the US.

3 Likes

A thought — what if these Elektronauts Records were like Late Night Tales albums, where it’s a bunch of music curated by one person/artist?

For instance, we could vote on someone to be a curator, that person could post their call for submissions (what kind of music/art/vibe they’re going for), they receive submissions from other Elektronauts and pick their tracklist/artwork to make their record.

Just brainstorming a way to give this some structure — we’ve got a lot of folks who are down to pitch in so maybe this is a simple way to organize all that good energy.

9 Likes

I’m super into this idea and would love to contribute, but as a sample based hip-hop producer, having to clear samples would hinder my output and maybe that of others. I do understand the concern though. Maybe one release could be like a sample flip challenge using one specific sample that is cleared for the whole project? Not sure if that’s a thing or not lol

Either way, I’d love to participate. This forum has a ton of talent so if we form up like Voltron, we could have consistently dope releases. I’d definitely be telling everyone I know that I’ve got a track on a compilation album if it happened.

1 Like

Good idea! I’m ready to provide my best mediocre tracks! :+1: :zonked:

1 Like

Yes, this… but there could also be more themed releases

Thats awesome guys, we will need you for sure.

Indeed, but it’s not something I think we need to look at straight off the bat.
If the label grows and we see the demand it becomes an easier decision.

Someone already offered to record on cassette as physical media which could be great for certain releases.

I think limited printed artwork could also be a nice idea, but anything that needs initial investment will have to wait until proven feasible.

Not sure. What i will say is that there will inevitably be the need for some sort of peer review. Some structure and cohesiveness will have to be maintained or releases run the risk of being disjointed and too eclectic as some users already pointed out.

I think there are 4 tiers:

1- People directly involved in the daily running of the label
2- People providing time and services
3- Featured artists
4- Supporters

The first two tiers I believe should serve as the peer review group.

In general terms here is how I see it work:

1. 2 or 3 themes are presented to the Forum. (Not sure what these could be yet)
  2. Members vote on their favourite theme and theme is picked and countdown for submissions begins.
  3. Members can only post one submission per release.
  4. From a pool of initial music submission forum member get to vote.
  5. From a pool of initial cover art submission forum member get to vote.
  6. People with most voted music and artwork will be asked to send in their premasters and hi res cover images with all the relevant info… for final selection.
  7. From these the peer review group will pick the final selection.
  8. Tracks are sent to be mastered.
  9. Release is submitted to Bandcamp.
12 Likes

It’s a great idea.
Keen to be involved, although don’t have much to contribute skills wise bar my own electronic noodling.
Totally down with the profits for charity thing.
It’s probably worth thinking about how that will work though.
To grow a label, promo, distribution and physical releases will all help and these cost money.
So some kind of retention of capital is probably a good idea in order to grow the label, resulting in more profit and ultimately more donation (and I know this isn’t a money making thing, but just thinking about maximising exposure).

It could be kicked off by a locally crowdfunded effort?
If interested elektronauts each donated a small amount (and I mean donate - as in not expecting to get anything back) then that might be enough to kick start the initial outlay?
NB: not at all compulsory. Just if people can afford to and want to.

1 Like

Happy to offer logo design services and/or artwork templates etc. (as well as contributing a track at some point).

1 Like

What a great idea. I work in digital music distribution and would be happy to help if this project is to be available on the big dsp‘s as well!

2 Likes

As a biped who tries to make music, i will submit.
As a debatable graphic genius, i can provide.
As an Elektronaut, i think the whole thing is great.

1 Like

imo picking a theme is never a good idea (unless you’re Kraftwerk :slight_smile: ) ! It only limits you unnecessarily and it makes you approach music staged and intellectually; both of which degrade music, its and yours potentials. All that is even worse for a compilation of tracks made by totally unrelated ppl, with totally different styles, understandings and approaches to music

could you sample stuff made from people in this group?

1 Like

same. awesome idea! love to see how it progresses.

also, fwiw, to the question of “why isn’t there an Elektron Records?” there is indeed a label of that name, which seems to have no affiliation with Elektron the music instrument company. and then there’s also “Elektron Grammofon” which does. you can find releases from the latter here: Accessories | Elektron (though I believe they’re all quite limited and unavailable).

1 Like

Loving the enthusiasm!

Thanks for the private messages but for now lets keep your ideas, suggestions and offers of help to the thread, I’ll start reaching out to people in due time.

The major hurdle right now is deciding what to do with revenue generated.

A charity would be great but there are legal issues involved for it to be legit as well as costs.
Researching and deciding what charity to support and in what country will also be a challenge, different countries have different laws, members of the forum represent a very wide demographic, will be difficult to please everyone.

Maybe a charity is not the way?

Let’s hear your suggestions on what you think could be a feasible way to manage revenue.

If we figure this out then we can start discussing possible names for the label etc… :wink:

Are there legal issues involved in making a donation?
So a proportion of any revenue is retained to feed back into the label, and for each release the artist or artists involved agree on the charity to donate any surplus?

Honestly I’m not sure, I thought the same as you but I’m going off what @0mega posted above:

Yep, this could be a way

1 Like