Elektronauts Drummers

Boom! Love it.

1 Like

This is my travel kit made by Taye drums, nice compact acoustic sounds.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve come to enjoy the process but I really like tuning stuff in general. However with drums (kit drums) there are caveats. I hate doing it at band practice or whenever there are other people around making noise as itā€™s so much more difficult. Also, if the shells are out of round or the heads are too worn out/ dented youā€™re not going to do better than a pleasant thud.

1 Like

2 Likes

If you have your Rudiments together :rofl: look for an Roland SPD 30, the Octapad, Tons of Sounds and Effects inside. You can connect some extra Pads and Foot Controllers for BD & HiHat!

If youā€™re thinking about heading down the electronic kit route, 2Box is great. Excellent bang for your buck, itā€™s easy enough to load in custom samples, and if you own BFD3 you can convert all of those kits.

The only thing I have any issue with is the hi-hat. Seems like I have to calibrate it every time I use it. But mine is a bit older and I got it used, so maybe newer kits donā€™t have this problem.

The reason I love it the most is that you donā€™t get any machine gunning of the samples. Every stroke sounds so good. One of the reasons I stayed away from the older V-Drums and Yamaha kits was that they just didnā€™t sound natural.

EDIT: I just looked up recent prices for their stuff and itā€™s gone through the roof! I think I paid like $800 for the brain, snare, kick, 4 toms, and 3 cymbals four or five years agoā€¦

1 Like

@AlmaxMere, how many of 2Boxā€™s Drumit modulesā€™ hi hat articulations can be addressed directly and separately by MIDI note number? I want to use a Drumit 5 MKII as a drum module with a triggers-only controller and no pedal to control the hatā€™s state. In that case, Iā€™d need separate MIDI numbers for different hat articulations. Rolandā€™s TD-50, for example, provides 5 with separately assignable MIDI note numbers: pedal, open edge, closed edge, open bow, and closed bow.

If you happen to know the same info for Pearlā€™s Mimic Proā€”which seems to have only three articulations per padā€”Iā€™d be interested in that, too.

I am just guessing here, but my 2Box has all of those zones, so five sounds right. Although Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™re accessible directly and separately by MIDI note number. Hell, I canā€™t even remember which brain mine has.

I donā€™t have time to comb through it right now, but hereā€™s the manual. Hope it helps!

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ve got that manual and the Mimic Proā€™s, too, but they just donā€™t clarify things for my unusual use case. Neither does the TD-50ā€™s, but I know that device from experience.

Iā€™m looking to improve on the TD-50, by the way, either footprint or user interface in a dark and cramped location. Soundwise, I expect it comes down to personal preference, with neither of these devices having an edge.