Elektronauts Drummers

Yeah ive seen those two. They are impressive, no doubt, but something about their style just bores me. Its technical for the sake of technical, totally lacks feel and soul. If something is too tight, it doesnt move. A groove without movement, just isnt a groove. Basically they sound like machines to me.

Which is amusing. You’ve got sequencer nerds trying to make their patterns less mechanical, and you’ve got drum nerds trying to make their patterns more mechanical.

Totally my own opinion on it mind. Each to their own and all that.

4 Likes

And you have Jojo Mayer :wink:

4 Likes

Hey @r1n9o – it’s a subkick. Basically a speaker cone that’s reverse wired to act as a microphone. Instead of purely working as a mic, the movement of air from the kick excites the cone which in turn resonates, producing a sub tone, the fundamental of which depends on the speaker specs. It helps offset any compromise of having such a tiddly kick drum.

It’s an old old trick, used to be done with NS10 woofers. And they can be nicely presented by mounting inside a tom shell, as I’ve done here! I went to the effort of wrapping it to match the kit and look like a mini version of the kick drum and I’ve got an XLR socket mounted in the side too. You can actually buy commercially made ones, but there aren’t many around and they’re quite pricey for what they are… This one cost me no more than £50 in parts and an afternoon making it.

If interested, my mic setup when recording the kit is:

Kick Mic - inside the kick port, pointed at the beater
Sub Kick - in front of the kick, for extra low end oomph and beef
Tom Mics - one per drum
Snare Mics - one above, an extra below
Hi Hat Mic - on the outside edge is my preference
Overheads - a spaced pair

And if I’m feeling fancy, an extra mono room mic too.

Thanks everyone! :raised_hands: It was a super fun project.
@cold_fashioned – I can see how it would appear overwhelming. I do a lot of live gigs and work with some extraordinary drummers that I count as friends, so I’m particularly lucky in having access to plenty of high quality advice where needed. But I’ve also looked after some house equipment for a few venues and I’m used to engineering gigs too, so working on kits and tuning them became a real interest… As always in musical life, you can learn so much which transfers to anything from studio work, to writing and recording, to synthesis and sound design. It’s all valuable! :man_shrugging:t3: If you get chance to mess around with an acoustic kit, go down the rabbit hole… Learn about different heads, how to properly tune a kit, take it all apart and re-build it. Great fun.

It’s great that you’ve got a pad to crack on with for now though. During the first lockdown last year, I found that playing drums a bit each day was great for headspace. It’s a really mindful activity. I’m not great at it, but I don’t feel the need to be at the professional level I play my other instruments – it’s just purely for fun! I sit and try to improve the co-ordination of my limbs. It’s also a nice way to break up my time in the studio and refresh my head / ears. A beautiful task for the mind! :+1::+1:

5 Likes

Thanks for the run down on the sub-kick and restoration project, as well as the recording setup. I also appreciate the insights about using one’s experiences as opportunities to learn. That is very aligned to my overall philosophy of life. Not to be too grandiose or anything!

I think a kit restoration would be a neat long-term project. Perhaps something my kids could get into helping with (long shot, but who knows?). Could you recommend some resources for learning about heads, tuning, construction, etc.? Cheers!

1 Like

@cold_fashioned – a great project indeed! Forums and YouTube are great places to explore heads and tuning – figure out what kind of sound or style you like and want to achieve (lots of tone or something more dry, vintage vibe, jazz, hip hop, 80s rock etc.) and go from there. Generally speaking, if you want hard-wearing heads, coated ones are the way to go, and 2 ply are more dry whilst clear ones are more resonant.

Tuning gets a lot of different advice… Tuning takes time and experimentation, and some understanding of intervals, but is a satisfying thing to do. I personally like to get the kick tuned first, then tune snare and toms to intervals above that, be it 3rds, 5ths or 8ves. But essentially each drum has a comfortable resonance that it’s happy at, so keeping close to that, or an interval of that is good where possible. If recording a specific track, obviously you can tune the kit to that track. Also, always use a star pattern when tightening heads to avoid uneven stretching – plenty of info on the web about this.

My personal preference on my own kit is:

Kick: Evans EMAD or Aquarian Super Kick on batter side. I’ve got Remo Fiberskyn for the look and for some vintage tone on the reso side, but they’re hard to tune if you like to port for mics as I do! So I’d probably recommend a more standard reso head. I also use a Sonitus Kicker and a felt strip to further tune if / where needed. Both heads are as loose as can be without sounding flappy, and tuned up a touch from there to find a good punchy balance.
Toms: Aquarian Performance II on batter (although I want to try their studio heads!) and Aquarian Classic Clear reso. Moongels to tame any tricky resonances. I tune the bottom head to an interval that’s higher than the top head, for a nice sonorous tone
Snare: Evans Genera HD Dry on batter (these are awesome sounding if you like a dry snare!), Evans Hazy 300 snare side. I tend to tune quite low for my tastes, but varies depending on what it’s being used for. I like to experiment with damping – moongels, or a duster, or a big fat snare pad… Plenty of different sounds to be had.

On live kits where the emphasis is on being hard-wearing with a range of players and styles (if you’ve got young lively kids, this might also apply), it’s a bit more generic:

Kick: EMAD batter, Remo Powerstroke reso (ported for mics), normally a Kicker or pillow inside for damping
Snare: Coated Emperor batter, Hazy snare side
Toms: Coated Emperor batter, Remo Ambassador Clear reso. Any extra tuning of resonances done with strips of gaffer tape!

2 Likes

Louis Cole is the shit. He is amazing.
Would also back up @Microtribe on this… there is such a thing as being too technical, or too techical-sounding… trying to sound like a drum machine is dangerous territority

But, if you put a gun to my head and i had to choose top three drummers…???
in no particular order…
Elvin Jones
Matt Chamberlain
Jim Keltner

Joey Baron is a very close 4th place… so none of my favorites really do the DnB thing…
Matt Chamberlain can pull it off though…

1 Like

Ive been playing drums for 26 years and i hate tuning drums. Its always been a chore rather than a pleasure. I dont mean just drum kit drums, i mean tabla, ashiko, etc…
Its one reason i look at those top o’ the line V-Drums with such a lusty eye…
But, at this point, its kinda like working on my car or something… i bitch and moan while im doing it but when im done im whistling and enjoying having done the work…

2 Likes

Love it! Never heard of that technique. Electro-magnetic acoustic thumper. Low end theory, indeed. Thanks for the explanation!

2 Likes

220469_334

that’s why i let the mechanical parts (mostly kick & hats) be mechanical, and playing live parts (tom & percussion grooves) live.

2 Likes

I tune by hear.
Depending on music, tracks and situation.
So that’s not tuning really :wink: but I hate to sit down behind a kit that sounds crap. Not sure it is related to tuning per say but a couple of semi tones between snr and Tom’s at least.

1 Like

Same thing here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Fully agree on this one.

2 Likes

interesting read! thanks for all the comments

Wise words, man. I’m bored with all the super skilled drummers too.

When I read the post, Jaki Liebezeit came to my mind too. He’s the master.

5 Likes

yeah! my favorite drummer of all times.

my HandSonic HPD-15 is named Jaki in honor of.

(i have a tradition of naming my gear, is’s such a fun to see Jaki in one lineup with Angus/Malcolm, Jon, etc :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

3 Likes

Mine too! I’m reading his biography right now., which I can absolutely recommend:

4 Likes

nice, will buy ebook version.

2 Likes

My pleasure!

They’re great aren’t they?!

1 Like